Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best viewing spot at Laguna Seca?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best viewing spot at Laguna Seca?

I was planning on going to the Isle of Mann bike races this year until I discovered you have book a year in advance. So I'm going to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP races. My problem is I don't know which package to buy. My favorite spot at Daytona is the stands where the cars or bikes exit the infield and go back up on the banking. You can see nearly the entire track from there and you are still quite close to the action. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.....Chris
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was there for a Cart (aka Champ Car, aka IndyCar) race. I just had a general access pass which enabled me to go anywhere except the grand stands. I walked all all around and stayed at each turn for a while and moved on. I must have gone around the track twice during the race. I preferred this to being stuck on a seat and also because I was taking photos. I would say turn 1 gets the most action because everyone's fighting for that corner coming from the straight (or do they call it turn 2?), and the corkscrew is also a great spot. Not sure what the package options are for the Moto GP. Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love being at the middle of the Corkscrew.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drivers seat
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by PecosBill
I love being at the middle of the Corkscrew.
This.

It's my fav spot (other than working in the pits) too.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MishaDesigns
The drivers seat
Well, a bit tough to do with our OP's situation...................................

So, spectator areas for bikes:

(First, I'll say I have no idea how heavily spectated the event will be. In the Olden Days you'd have people everywhere.)

T1. If you have access to the viewing platforms up there it's good for a bird's eye, except you can't see T6 or T8 (Corkscrew). Down along the fence gets you as close as you're going to get on the track to seeing anything at top speed.

T2. Still down from the T1 hill you can get a view as they enter, go behind the turn on the hill (ways away), or from the infield and peek through the fence and view level on the exit.

T3. No good view. Just along the fence.

T4. Grandstand view. Good photography area for cars, no idea if bikes use that as a passing zone.

T5. Around the bridge. Can get a decent view along the fence, viewing from the parking area. Heavy braking, likely good passing. Not much of a view past the apex.

T6. If you can invade the inevitable campers staked out up there, it's a unique view. Good speed on entry, fast turn, full acceleration up the hill.

T7. Not a turn, just the climb to the Corkscrew.

T8/8a. Corkscrew, signature turn. If you're down low, you can't really see what's gone on in the braking area. You'll see low speed action from a pretty close vantage point. Short acceleration run you can see up to the entry to T9.

T9. Good view from the outside on the fence. May be some passing on the entry. Very challenging turn, anyone's fighting for all you've got to carry it through and on the run to T10.

T10. Would need to be on the inside, but you'll be pretty high up along the fence. Doubt there's much passing. Can see the run into T11.

T11. Heavy braking, likely a lot of passing. Those who get it right will get the run on the competition up the front straight.

S/F. Grandstands, front straight. Will see beginning of the passing on acceleration, but everything goes out of view once you cross S/F and are obscured by the bridge as the crest the hill to T1.

The hill. That's just kind of in the middle. You can see a lot, but they'll all be specs in the distance.

I'd wander during practice and qualifying, see what looks most interesting.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Ken nailed it: so many spots.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Yes
Walk around
A lot
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

Corkscrew would be my first choice.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much Ken. I couldn't ask for a better description than that.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

Agreed - you'll be missing a lot of great sights if you stay in one spot. Not sure if they have the pit suites available for the MotoGP race, but I highly recommend that package if they do - especially if your wife/gf is joining you. We go to the Rolex historic races every year & the suites are a great place to hang out in between walks.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corkscrew! Bring a comfortable chair and sunscreen.
Phil
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Walk around! Bring WATER and conformable shoes!The track has so many good views. My favorites are the corkscrew, then the tower along the front straight.

Attached Images     
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Fabulous shots. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Best viewing spot at Laguna Seca?