993 Forum 1995-1998

Water intrusion... and more!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Water intrusion... and more!

Yesterday I decided to some spring cleaning so I proceeded to remove the carpet from the trunk. Upon removing the carpet, I noticed that the front section of the carpet was wet and that a good amount of water was sitting in the back right, next to the fuel tank. Then, in closing the hood, more water "appeared" from the latch point of the hood. Hmmm...

So started my adventure to try to figure out how the water is making its way in. In conducting some research, I decided to order a new gasket/seal that is directly behind the gas tank (993 504 631 00) and the end caps that go with it (993 504 521 00). Figured to start here as it is the cheaper and quicker option. Parts on the way...

Then, since I had the above mentioned seal removed, I also removed the plastic tray that sits directly behind it. I discovered some wires that, for some odd reason have electrical tape over them... The passenger's side was what originally concerned me but them I noticed that the driver's side also had electrical tape just neater. The tape just doesn't seem like it belongs.

Any thoughts on both issues would be highly appreciated.

Rubber end caps:

Questionable wire:

Last edited by Sagres74; 02-13-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: bad links
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi There

Do you have any dampness in the thick foam under the rubber membrane in the frount footwells? You will need to get your hand right under the foam against the floorpan, not just under the carpet. Water can run from the front boot compartmenty into the cabin via the floor ribbing.

Berni
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I do not understand why not all members upload pictures on the rennlist site.
First the pictures will stay for others who are searching for the same solution
Second, all readers could see the pictures... I do not see anything but text.

Anyways, the electric cables on left and right are clamped, folded, on top of the air blowers.
A metal U tab holds each cable, folded, on top
The tabs should have fallen inside...
The rubber seal that could infiltrate water in the trunk, is not the separation seal between trunk and A?C electronics, but rather the trunk contour seal itself.
Another possibility is the window washer squirter seals, but most probable the trunk seal is the culprit
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

I've fixed the links to the images. Everyone should be able to see what I'm referring to now.

Originally Posted by berni29

Do you have any dampness in the thick foam under the rubber membrane in the frount footwells? You will need to get your hand right under the foam against the floorpan, not just under the carpet. Water can run from the front boot compartmenty into the cabin via the floor ribbing.

Berni
Berni - Thanks for the pointer. I haven't noticed any water in the footwells but will definitely check it out.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
I do not understand why not all members upload pictures on the rennlist site.
First the pictures will stay for others who are searching for the same solution
Second, all readers could see the pictures... I do not see anything but text.

Anyways, the electric cables on left and right are clamped, folded, on top of the air blowers.
A metal U tab holds each cable, folded, on top
The tabs should have fallen inside...
The rubber seal that could infiltrate water in the trunk, is not the separation seal between trunk and A?C electronics, but rather the trunk contour seal itself.
Another possibility is the window washer squirter seals, but most probable the trunk seal is the culprit
Images were posted, just happened to have broken links. Alas, problem has been solved.

It makes more sense that water intrusion would be caused by the main hood seal and not the one I point out. In inspecting the hood seal, I do not see any issues w/ the rubber but that's not to say it's not failing. However, at this point I am taking the path of least resistance (labor and $) to isolate the issue based on where I found water. If this fails, then the hood seal is next.

As far as the wiring... i understand all but why is there electrical tape on it when there is a sleeve over the whole section? Baffling!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

So I replaced the seal (993 504 631 00) and the end caps (993 504 521 00) a while back and I am still getting water in the darn sma eplace in the trunk. Next on the agenda the main trunk seal.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever rubbed a parking block or the like with the underside of the nose? The trunk floor pan is very prone to being damaged (hence the "crash" bars that some vendors offer) and is easily deformed. The front trunk sheetmetal joins to the floorpan with a tack welded "seam" just above the bottom of the floor. The seam is directly behind the front grill.

If the trunk floor is distorted at all from a rub/impact with something low it will likely open up this seam and split the seam sealer, allowing water to find its way directly into the trunk.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
If the trunk floor is distorted at all from a rub/impact with something low it will likely open up this seam and split the seam sealer, allowing water to find its way directly into the trunk.
Good idea and I'll take a look. However where the water is/pools, it is in the far right corner of the trunk, tucked behind the brake fluid reservoir and the bottom right of the fuel tank. (see pic in my original post.)

Quick Reply: Water intrusion... and more!