Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I did (long time ago) was to anodize that section of the did stick on a darker color, it shows perfectly all the time.Sonny1.

Last edited by sonny1; 04-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Someone needs to invent an easier to read aftermarket dipstick. It cant be that hard.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Someone needs to invent an easier to read aftermarket dipstick. It cant be that hard.
How about it, JoeFromPA?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
963K993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My oil got dirty pretty quick when I replaced the valve covers and didn't have to add a quart every two weeks.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Has anyone tried the vastly superior (like most things on the) 964 dipstick? Will it fit? Same length?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
My car also refuses to discolour its oil ..... it's either that, or failing eyesight: my failsafe trick is to pinch a small scrap of tissue under my thumb nail, and slide it down the twist section slowly .... it will visibly wick oil at first contact.

I've thought that if the critical zone of the 'twist' were acid etched, it would better diffuse light through the held oil ..... any ideas?
Yes, I agree, would be nice! A car I had years ago, maybe an old Bimmer, actually had the "critical zone" on the dipstick knurled so as to hold enough oil to be able to see where in the zone it was.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can somebody please enlighten me on this checking oil BS?
So I have been afraid to overfill the car with oil, but now starting to doubt if I've been checking it right. Warm engine, idling, flat surface etc. When I pull out the dipstick, there is plenty of oil on it and you can see it extremely well. Wipe it off, put the dipstick back in, take it out and you can see some traces of the oil to the middle or so. Do it again a few times and dipstick seems pretty dry to me. I thought that was fine. Another 993er looked at it and convinced me that it was fine. But it doesn't look like it was actually dipped in oil, i.e. looks nothing like when you take it out the first time.

For comparison I took the dipstick and dipped it into the oil bottle with clean oil. Yes, it's a bit tougher to see as it's almost clear, but you can see it was dipped into it.

This thread makes me think it's fine, but I'm a bit concerned that I've been running low on oil. Pictures would help.

Last edited by NYC993; 11-18-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't check with the dipstick too often anymore, thankfully Mike J adjusted the float on my car during an oil change years back and now the gauge is usable... but when I do, it usually takes a few times for me to be relatively sure of the level on the stick. Usually the level is pretty clear on one side (only) on the flat part of the dipstick. But it does take multiple pulls, and being very careful to get all of the oil off the stick between tries.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993

This thread make me think it's fine, but I'm a bit concerned that I've been running low on oil.
Take a drive over to Bob Kakascik at European Performance (Stable Energies) in Garfield if you have any concerns. Doubt it's low but can't hurt to have Bob take a look.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
So I have been afraid to overfill the car with oil, but now starting to doubt if I've been checking it right. Warm engine, idling, flat surface etc. When I pull out the dipstick, there is plenty of oil on it and you can see it extremely well. Wipe it off, put the dipstick back in, take it out and you can see some traces of the oil to the middle or so. Do it again a few times and dipstick seems pretty dry to me. I thought that was fine. Another 993er looked at it and convinced me that it was fine. But it doesn't look like it was actually dipped in oil, i.e. looks nothing like when you take it out the first time.

For comparison I took the dipstick and dipped it into the oil bottle with clean oil. Yes, it's a bit tougher to see as it's almost clear, but you can see it was dipped into it.

This thread makes me think it's fine, but I'm a bit concerned that I've been running low on oil. Pictures would help.
Yury, keep in mind that you got 13 quarts floating around in there, so even being down one is not a big concern.

Does your gauge read anything when you are checking the dipstick?

If you are that concerned, you can add 250ml at a time, and keep checking the dipstick.

I find the dipstick so asinine that I just use the gauge, and I don't even watch that too closely.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Thanks Quad, that's what I tell myself...there is plenty of oil. If car is stationary and I rev the engine slightly, there is plenty of oil on the dipstick.
I added a quart recently, and noticed there is more on the stick when I pull it out the first time. My gauge is useless. The needle may move a mm when the car is warm, but I didn't notice a difference from the quart that I added. It's been colder as well so engine is not as hot anymore.
I gotta fix the gauge so I can stop using the dipstick, too.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

You cannot fully trust the gauge until you have compared it with the dipstick readings and "know" your gauge. The dipstick is the base reference. I have done several adjustments to date, and the gauge is certainly non consistent across a set of cars (based on a sample size of 15+ cars). Quad, you have used your gauge enough to know what is good or bad, for a new user its not that clear.

I typically leave my oil level from the bottom of the twisted part of the stick to about 1/3 up, so I tuned the gauge to that area. You are right though, if I see the gauge register, it has enough oil -> its if the oil drops below the gauge range, its hard to judge how far. The stick has a longer range than the gauge.

You can use a paper towel and lay the dipstick on it, and pull it away - the oil level should show on the towel.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Mike, I don't have trouble seeing the oil on the stick, my concern is the amount of oil on it. It makes me think that the traces of oil are from the pipe that dipstick travels through rather than from the oil tank, and that the oil tank might be pretty empty.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Ahh, I get it. Its hard sometimes to see if its smearing or the actual level. I usually rotate the stick to see both sides and assess it, sometimes takes a few tries before I am relatively sure. If one side is wet but the other dry, then I know the oil is not at that level.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Call me a contrarian, but I don't use the dip stick because it is difficult to read. Like Quad, I add just enough oil to tickle the needle on the gauge above the red zone and I'm good to go.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?