Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Doesn't the oil temp have to be hot in temp vs warm?
Yep
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
with the 2 filters the oil stays pretty clean even with some miles on it - makes it hard to read on stick
The filter on the oil tank looks like it was taken off a piece of heavy equipment

I do agree with you on reading the gauge. If the car as at temp and level, it seems to read pretty accurately.
Can't really say I agree with you there. My oil is dark just like any car. I think its less to do with filtration and more to do with 13 quarts capacity.

nevertheless, if i had to, white paper towel shows the oil just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Can't really say I agree with you there. My oil is dark just like any car. I think its less to do with filtration and more to do with 13 quarts capacity.

Quad - I wonder if it has to do with the turbos? I think the oil in most NA cars stays pretty clean.
I've wiped the stick on a paper towel many times and it dries relatively clean (not arguing for or against oil changes). My car has about 70k on the clock and I'll run up to about 6k on the oil.

I own a good deal of heavy equipment and trucks - so I'm used to seeing black oil and the oil in the 993 looks very clean.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
Usually when I check the oil level I have to pull the stick out and clean it off several times as the oil is clear and very hard to see on the twisted part of the dispstick. I usually convince myself too, that I've spread oil all over the metal as I pull the absurdly long thing out of the end of the whatchamacallit it goes in.

Just wondered if there is a trick to doing this that makes the level more obvious - like certain light sources or some such thing?
  • slowly pull the stick through a light colored paper towel or shop rag
  • carefully note where the rag gets "oily"
  • that's your answer.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Checking the oil on my Turbo is a pain - the oil is very hard to see on the stick. What I do is pull the dipstick out, and lay the twisted section along one of my fingers - if you pull the stick away a bit, you will see the oil left on your finger that shows you where it ended ...

I rarely see a 993 with the oil dirty enough so it clearly shows itself on a dipstick due to its color...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My car also refuses to discolour its oil ..... it's either that, or failing eyesight: my failsafe trick is to pinch a small scrap of tissue under my thumb nail, and slide it down the twist section slowly .... it will visibly wick oil at first contact.

I've thought that if the critical zone of the 'twist' were acid etched, it would better diffuse light through the held oil ..... any ideas?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
What I do is pull the dipstick out, and lay the twisted section along one of my fingers
Any fingers left ?
Don't know about the turbo, but in summer here, the dipstick is burning hot.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Us mortals in NA cars always have clean oil...hard to read but yes, placing it on a rag or towel is the best method.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Next time one of y'all does an oil change, can you pour a little of the old oil into a glass container and take a pic.

I'm intrigued by this oil that never gets dirty.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^I got a good buzz last oil change
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Next time one of y'all does an oil change, can you pour a little of the old oil into a glass container and take a pic.

I am not saying it does not look "dirty", ie non clear when it gets dumped or poured into a glass container, but it's not "dirty" enough to show easily on a dipstick when it's spread very thin. For the oil to be that visibile that it shows up dark on the dipstick, it would be very dark in a container. I find that with most cars, even with "dirty" oil on a change, the level on the dipstick is hard to read. Also, on most cars that I change oil on (and that is a pool of 10+ cars), you usually can see through the oil stream when the oil is dumped from the main tank.

If you are saying your oil is so dark that its totally visible on your dipstick, that is a lot darker than the majority of the cars I have seen.

Why don't you take a picture of your dipstick showing the oil level and post it, and I will do my car as well, and we can compare...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I need to try the towel trick because i too can hardly see the oil on the dip stick. My oil stays very clean as most have stated. I change my oil once a year and I typically only have a bout 3-4K miles on it.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Why don't you take a picture of your dipstick showing the oil level and post it, Mike
That just sounds wrong!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the hints about the paper towel. That works for me now, and eliminates guesswork. The gauge is all over the place.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have ur chance

Quick Reply: Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?