Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
Hate to to be too much of a mooch..but I just got my 3 spoke steering wheel. I have no experience takign the steering wheel off, but it looks pretty easy. However, I realized this morning I do not own a 24mm socket to get the wheel (I have the torx/allen keys to get the airbag off).

Any chance I could borrow a 24 mm socket for 30 mins or so between the tie rod work?
Chad -

No problem. I've taken Porsche steering wheel off numerous times for different reasons. I have the socket you can borrow. You also have to be careful that you don't active the SRS / airbag for the alarm system when you disconnect. Just in case you do, I have a PST-2 which can reset it. Should be a quick job. And don't be afraid to mooch from Rennlist. We all try to help each other out a bit in this community.

If anyone else has a job they want anyone to look at, tomorrow's a good time. If we don't get to it, at least we can tell you what's involved and maybe reschedule another time to get together to do it.

Marc
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm gonna make it up, but I'll go straight to the house, not C&C. Probably arrive 9-9:30.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I am going straight to the house, targeting 9am arrival.
See you all there!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Great guys. Whenever and wherever you like to meet me is fine.

Peter,

I purchased a few bushings to try and install in your tool. However, the top guide is just about the same width as the bushings, so I'd need you to make a wider guide. Don't know if you can make one before you come up tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask.

Below is a picture of the two bushings I purchased (5/16" and 5/32"). The larger bushing was 3/4" and shorter is 3/8" in length. That's all they had.

Marc G.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't be able to make anything for this round since the aluminum is actually milled out for the 1/2" key stock. I am going to swing in and hang out for a bit, but I won't stay for the whole party. The drill jig will be fine for the 1 day, there are 3 good bushings to wear out. After the weekend you can mail the assembly back to me and I can modify a new insert to accept the two drill bushings. That assembly should be good for a long time after that.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Chad -

No problem. I've taken Porsche steering wheel off numerous times for different reasons. I have the socket you can borrow. You also have to be careful that you don't active the SRS / airbag for the alarm system when you disconnect. Just in case you do, I have a PST-2 which can reset it. Should be a quick job. And don't be afraid to mooch from Rennlist. We all try to help each other out a bit in this community.

If anyone else has a job they want anyone to look at, tomorrow's a good time. If we don't get to it, at least we can tell you what's involved and maybe reschedule another time to get together to do it.

Marc
Thanks. I just used this as an excuse to buy some more tools. Just got the wheel installed. See you tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Can someone PM me Marc's address? TIA.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Great turnout, and great to meet everyone!

Although, 80F is a bit warm for February....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Thanks Mgianzero for hosting earlier today. Great meeting everyone.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It was great to meet everyone and to get to work on our 993 together. That was some really good pizza and beer too. Marc thanks again. John
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Marc for hosting this awesome get together. It was nice meeting you all.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great day!
Cars and Coffee was packed today, as is expected on a 75 degree sunny day in February Lots of nice cars showed up including a Carrera GTS.
The tie rod pinning went very well. Everyone was in and out in record time, so maybe two records today, most and fastest tie rod pinnings
The pizza was fantastic, and who doesn't need a beer at 10:00am.
After the tie rodding I swung by San Clemente to spend some time at the beach (now I am just rubbing it in for anyone on the East Coast).

Mark,
Thank you for hosting this event, it's great meeting new car enthusiasts! If you are ever in San Diego let me know.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st picture above is Magnus Walker

I will upload my pics later today. Nice meeting everyone today and thanks to Marc and his family!
Attached Images   

Last edited by eddie_993; 02-16-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM
delta
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Marc for hosting the event. It was nice meeting you all. Think this is my first post on this forum.

Mark
95 C4
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

As proof of our wonderful accomplishments with tie rod pinning today, below is a snapshot of all the shavings and 4 drill bits we went thru to pin I think was 10 (TEN) cars. Tell me if I'm missing someone but the latest count was:
1) mgianzero
2) F8vr993
3) Kika
4) C4SJOHN
5) schubee
6) cversion4
7) Gonzilla
8) eddiie_993
9) BeauBlues
10) callipgygian 911.

And we won the unofficial RL World Record thus far for 993 tie-rod pinning. (See photo below).

Just a few facts I learned while doing this little DIY project (names not mentioned to protect the innocent):

Most guys, when given the opportunity, would love to join others in sharing what they know while other guys love to learn how to work on their cars. We had someone who owned a home mill that he designed and manufactured real car parts that are even more durable the Porsche OEM distributor while other RL members who found a power drill a completely new experience.

We had the spectrum of owners - one owner had just purchased his 993 only 6 months ago and already put over 7,000 miles on his car it (even though it showed up a bit dirty - no complaints here!) and another RL member drove his C4S home from the Porsche showroom when originally purchased!

We even had some members who, although they did not need to work on their cars, decided to come visit just to meet other 993 owners. Heck, we even had some drive up from San Diego just to hang out and share their knowledge and a few who drove down from Los Angeles with the beer and pins in hand! And my neighbor who showed up with a water-cooled 911 --- what's that!

Two guys stood out from the crowd as they didn't come with a standard red, silver, black or white Porsche colors, but rather midnight blue and speed yellow. There was ONLY one targa amongst the group that stood out ... now whose car could that be?

Most everyone was generous with their time to help others, bring snacks, tools and beer. We ate up almost all the pizza (the best in OC) and even some servings for our dairy-free and vegan eaters and now I have a fridge FULL of beer. So we need to make an excuse for another meeting to help empty my new stock of beer. Apparently we worked too hard and drank too little!

Did I leave anyone out? ... Oh yeah, I forgot the guys on the east coast who missed out on our 80 degree sunny skies, beer and pizza day while working on our cars! Sorry guys. Been thinking about you.

Hope everyone had a great time as I did. Thank you all for your participation and company.

I know I just learned of the many more things I need to purchase as I slip down the slippery slope. Sometimes I feel so inadequate!

Marc Gianzero
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?