Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Whoops. Forgot the pic of my drill. Here it is:
those Italians, always showing off their big equipment...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
those Italians, always showing off their big equipment...

Yes. I like to show off my equipment and pin my rods!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If someone can source and bring some 5/16 OD x 5/32 ID bushings we could give the pilot holes a shot. I will see if I can dig something up but it will be tough for me to make it to the hardware store this week.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
If someone can source and bring some 5/16 OD x 5/32 ID bushings we could give the pilot holes a shot. I will see if I can dig something up but it will be tough for me to make it to the hardware store this week.
Let me see if I can find some. Maybe I can stop by McFadden and see what they've got. Are we looking for threaded bushings is straight sleeves?

I did drill and pin my rods last night. It was a quick job. I think my high speed drill really makes it easy. Looks as though the bit didn't get too worn, so we can probably get 3-4 cars done with one bit. You just have to be careful that you drill exactly straight with the tool you provided as it is easy to wear out the sleeve at this time. But I'll still try and source out some drill bit bushings.

Hope to see you Sat!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

A few of the guys were asking what beer I like ...

I'm not much of a traditional American beer drinker ... prefer Newcastle, Heineken, Dos Equis, Corona. As far as American ... Anchor Steam and Shiner Bock.

But I don't mean to be picky. It's nice enough that you guys offered to bring some.

Looking forward to Saturday!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I am in agreement with Marc's beer list, at least the first 3:....then Corona?

is this one of those tests where we are supposed to identify which doesn't belong?

Assuming there is a Mrs. Mgianzero, does she prefer Cabernet, Merlot, or Chardonney? ....(I know who we really need to be appeasing for letting 20 guys come over and make a mess in the driveway)

oh, and Marc, does your drill have "HAMMER ACTION"?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I am in agreement with Marc's beer list, at least the first 3:....then Corona?

is this one of those tests where we are supposed to identify which doesn't belong?

Assuming there is a Mrs. Mgianzero, does she prefer Cabernet, Merlot, or Chardonney? ....(I know who we really need to be appeasing for letting 20 guys come over and make a mess in the driveway)

oh, and Marc, does your drill have "HAMMER ACTION"?
Kika,

As far as Corona goes, it's a lighter beer I can put a lime in and be okay with. (Notice is was lower on the list.) But not my first choice for a lighter beer. Heck, I'm a big fan of Molson Golden but I didn't want to push it. But for some reason, the Molson that I drink when in Canada always seems to taste better than the imports here. I think those Canadians are keeping the best for themselves and shipping the other stuff to US!

Yes, the wife is usually pretty accepting of my working on cars a lot. She actually really likes my targa. When we were dating, she bought a Boxster which she loved but had to sell when we got married (kids on the way). She's also pushing me to build my own garage this year or next so I can play with my toys in my own space. Now that's an understanding wife!

And to answer your last question, yes my drill is a hammer drill. But I don't find you'll need it for this job. This drill is really smooth and drills pretty fast. Is also can quickly reverse itself so as to not bind the bit. I just got it but really like it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll bring suds too.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Kika,

As far as Corona goes, it's a lighter beer I can put a lime in and be okay with. (Notice is was lower on the list.) But not my first choice for a lighter beer. Heck, I'm a big fan of Molson Golden but I didn't want to push it. But for some reason, the Molson that I drink when in Canada always seems to taste better than the imports here. I think those Canadians are keeping the best for themselves and shipping the other stuff to US!

Yes, the wife is usually pretty accepting of my working on cars a lot. She actually really likes my targa. When we were dating, she bought a Boxster which she loved but had to sell when we got married (kids on the way). She's also pushing me to build my own garage this year or next so I can play with my toys in my own space. Now that's an understanding wife!

And to answer your last question, yes my drill is a hammer drill. But I don't find you'll need it for this job. This drill is really smooth and drills pretty fast. Is also can quickly reverse itself so as to not bind the bit. I just got it but really like it.
...My wife is Mexican and she likes to tease when it comes to Corona...I agree, it is a lighter beer. Since we don't really drink that much, we don't have "lighter" beers, unless you count diet Coke with Bacardi. Mexicans don't really drink Corona, at least on her side of the family, but Dos Equis, Bohema and Modelo are standard. Dos Equis being our favorite Mexican beer. In my opinion, Corona simply had a great marketing campaign and branded themselves well and developed an association with sitting on the beach watching the sunset.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking you, just lighthearted teasing.

I am going to guess your wife prefers red wine over white.

Hammer Action wasn't REALLY a question, just more lighthearted (attempted) humor.

It is kind of a slow day...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can bring some beer too but between driving from Studio City to C&C and the beer sitting in my car it will be about 2-3 hours...Pilsner is my choice but I'll bring whatever you want Marc.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to this. Do we have a time to meet at C&C? Looks like we are covered for beer--so I'll bring some chips/snacks.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc,
I was thinking just a straight bushing, not threaded. The key stock is not the hardest material... I might give flame hardening some of it a shot this evening, the zinc coating won't like it much though

If we can get a good hard insert to press into one of the key stock holes than we can pre-drill with the jig and then remove the tool to finish the job. The inside diameter of the sleeve is not important, it just needs to be a reducer and we will need some drill bits of that diameter.
I may go for a drive at lunch and see what I can dig up.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

...My wife is Mexican and she likes to tease when it comes to Corona...I agree, it is a lighter beer. Since we don't really drink that much, we don't have "lighter" beers, unless you count diet Coke with Bacardi. Mexicans don't really drink Corona, at least on her side of the family, but Dos Equis, Bohema and Modelo are standard. Dos Equis being our favorite Mexican beer. In my opinion, Corona simply had a great marketing campaign and branded themselves well and developed an association with sitting on the beach watching the sunset.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking you, just lighthearted teasing.

I am going to guess your wife prefers red wine over white.
Don't worry Kika. You can't offend me. I'm Italian, remember!

I love Modelo ... especially Especial! Wife's more of a Cabernet wine type. She doesn't like sweet things (except me!). As a matter of fact, I wooed her in my targa on our first extended date was a wine tour with the Porsche club that I had just joined. She said "why would I want to spend a weekend with a bunch of car nuts!" But then we took the trip and she LOVED it. There were lots of wives she got to meet.

Originally Posted by eddie_993
I can bring some beer too but between driving from Studio City to C&C and the beer sitting in my car it will be about 2-3 hours...Pilsner is my choice but I'll bring whatever you want Marc.
Pilsner is great too! Bring what you like.

Originally Posted by civerson4
Looking forward to this. Do we have a time to meet at C&C? Looks like we are covered for beer--so I'll bring some chips/snacks.
My plan is to go to C&C around 6am return to home b/w 8:30 and 9am. I'm only about 20 minutes away. You can meet us either place.

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Marc,
I was thinking just a straight bushing, not threaded. The key stock is not the hardest material... I might give flame hardening some of it a shot this evening, the zinc coating won't like it much though

If we can get a good hard insert to press into one of the key stock holes than we can pre-drill with the jig and then remove the tool to finish the job. The inside diameter of the sleeve is not important, it just needs to be a reducer and we will need some drill bits of that diameter.
I may go for a drive at lunch and see what I can dig up.
Okay. I'll take a look myself. I don't have a real press, just a vice. That's one of my next purchases. Don't push me too hard down that slippery slope Peter. I just might not be able to stop!

Marc G.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

A few guys were asking how to recognize me at C&C. Guess we chat with each other a bit on Rennlist, but not always face-to-face. So here I am standing next to my Polar Silver 993 targa.

I can't explain why I look bloated with a look of indigestion in the pic! Guess I didn't want my picture taken.

See you there.

Marc G.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mgianzero; 02-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted

Last edited by civerson4; 02-15-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?