Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jig went out in the mail about an hour ago. It will probably be in Marc's hands Tuesday at the latest.
I am thinking of heading up with Ed just to meet everyone!
It's been a while since I have done C&C too.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to join but have a few questions:

1) I do want to pin my tie rods but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check that I can do it myself. So I guess I might be on the observation team...unless someone can "help" me for beers

2) Will you guys park in the Mazda/Taco Bell lot? I don't think I will be able to make it in time to get parking there. I live in Studio City so I'm about 45 minutes away from C&C and getting there on time is hard enough, let alone trying to make it early enough to catch an actual spot.

Eddie
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie_993
I would also like to join but have a few questions:

1) I do want to pin my tie rods but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check that I can do it myself. So I guess I might be on the observation team...unless someone can "help" me for beers
Sure we'll be there. This doesn't seem like a very difficult DIY, but we're all there to help. We're pretty handy with a wrench, so you're in good hands. Besides, looks like we have a few driving up from San Diego who've already done this. So we have extra hands too.

Originally Posted by eddie_993

2) Will you guys park in the Mazda/Taco Bell lot? I don't think I will be able to make it in time to get parking there. I live in Studio City so I'm about 45 minutes away from C&C and getting there on time is hard enough, let alone trying to make it early enough to catch an actual spot.

Eddie
Actually, we'll try to park all together in our "old" meeting spot we met up last year which is in the very back of the main parking lot. But if you get there late, park in the Taco Bell lot and walk over. We'll wait for you. My car is a Polar Silver Targa. Not many of them so just look for me.

For those who want, send me a PM and I'll send my phone and address just in case you can't make it to C&C in time.

Latest list looks as follows:
DIY'ers:
1. mgianzero - that's me of course.
2. f8vr993
3. Kika
4. C4SJOHN
5. Schubee
6. G.Syn (a good friend but hopefully a new RL member soon!)
7. civerson4 (Chad)
8. gonzilla
9. eddie_993

Observers:
1. TheBen
2. mcipseric
3. Ed Hughes
4. chaoscreature
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Mike is kind of like my Service Dog....
Your service dog forgot he has a tax appointment at 10am in Pasadena. I can make it down there, but probably not until 12:30 - 1pm. Is that still good, or will everyone be too many beers in at that point?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh sure....you West coast guys are planning for Pcar stuff, pizza and beer, while us East coast guys freeze our tails off. Please add me to the "Wish I Could Be There" list. Have fun fellas!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Your service dog forgot he has a tax appointment at 10am in Pasadena. I can make it down there, but probably not until 12:30 - 1pm. Is that still good, or will everyone be too many beers in at that point?
No problem. I'm sure there will be many there throughout the day. That's fine with me. Come when you can.

Marc G.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Oh sure....you West coast guys are planning for Pcar stuff, pizza and beer, while us East coast guys freeze our tails off. Please add me to the "Wish I Could Be There" list. Have fun fellas!
Come on over P-daddy. We'll save you a slice.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Oh sure....young West coast guys are planning for Pcar stuff, pizza and beer, while us East coast guys freeze our tails off. Please add me to the "Wish I Could Be There" list. Have fun fellas!
The forecast for sat is 79 with partly sunny skies...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

with partly sunny skies...
I am SO ready for winter to be over!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

The forecast for sat is 79 with partly sunny skies...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I am SO ready for winter to be over!
Me too! I could never live in a cold climate. When I took my dog to Starbucks this am, I had REI winter pants, a North Face parka and gloves. As I get older, I just can't deal with the cold as well as I once could, I am starting to understand why many folks move to the desert when they retire.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Guys back East, I know what you're going thru. I lived there 15 years (CT) and the cold and ice blows thru your bones! We'll be thinking of you.

Looks like we got a good number of guys coming for the project. So there may be some down time between cars. I'll see if I can pull out my PST-2 if anyone wants to read any codes on your cars. Just a small bonus.

Marc G.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Guys back East, I know what you're going thru. I lived there 15 years (CT) and the cold and ice blows thru your bones! We'll be thinking of you.

Looks like we got a good number of guys coming for the project. So there may be some down time between cars. I'll see if I can pull out my PST-2 if anyone wants to read any codes on your cars. Just a small bonus.

Marc G.
I have an Actron9180, so there will be another code reader present if anyone wants to use it.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I have an Actron9180, so there will be another code reader present if anyone wants to use it.
Yes, Kika, bring it.

I also own an Actron (can't remember the model #) but one of their better ones. Nice unit, but it doesn't read all the Porsche codes like the official Porsche software does.

This will be a good comparison test between the two readers.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Okay guys. I just received Peter's jig today. Nice, sturdy design he made. It also came with 10 pins and 3 drill bits. So we're all set for the weekend!

Just thinking here ...
My tie rods seem to be accessible from either front-to-back or back-to-front on my 4-post lift without much difficulty. I'm entertaining pinning my rods from back-to-front as there would be less concern of hitting the brake lines that Keith mentioned in the San Diego group pinning.

Kika is bring a whole bunch more pins. I plan on sending the jig on to the next person with more pins and new, fresh drill bits.

As I mentioned, hopefully we will have Peter (chaoscreature) here who made this tool for support. I also contacted Chris Walrod (famous Walrod bushings for those who don't know) and he said he'd try to stop by. Perhaps we can turn this DIY project into a more educational tech session about the importance of a tight front suspension for precision handling and steering. Hope it all stays in our brains with all the beer and pizza!

See you Sat -

Quick Reply: Hosting a tie rod pinning in OC, Calfornia - another record?