Sponsored by:

OT: LR Evoque vs BMW X3 35i

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: LR Evoque vs BMW X3 35i

Hi friends, I know this is wayyyy OT, however, I really trust the automotive knowledge of this Forum. My wife wants an SUV. We are torn between the LR Evoque and BMW X3 35i. I know there are other SUV offered out there, however, please keep it simple and just give me a feedback on either one.

Many thanks beforehand.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The RR is a turbo 4-cylinder and the X3 is a turbo 6-cylinder, there is a big difference.The 3.0L turbo in the BMW is one of the best on the market, it is one of the best engines to come around in the last ten years.
The RR uses a Ford Ecoboost motor, the same one found in the Ford Escape. It too is a great powerplant but the bottom end torque of the BMW is much better and it has an 8-speed tranny, for great highway fuel economy.
The Rover is very trendy right now but My money would be on the BMW. In fact it has alomost the same interior space as the original X5.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

The Evoque is a great styling exercise and a small 4-banger lugging 4000 pounds. Best looking out there and a super nice interior too.

The 35i is the choice if you want a more pedestrian looking but much sportier SUV. The 300 horse turbo six is a sweet and fast mill, but it the interior isn't as nice as the Evoque, nor can the BMW's exterior come close to the LR, in my humble opinion.

The 35i is the driver's car, the Evoque is a visual SUV dream. Do you want the average looking girl who's a dynamite in the sack, or the gorgeous supermodel who can't kiss well?

Your call.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We looked at both before finally buying our 3 Touring. If we absolutely had to have an SUV, it would've been the X3 hands down. The Evoke, we found extremely small and with very little "utility"... We did fall in love with its looks though!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the above... My mother was looking for a small SUV and while the Evoque was no doubt great looking, the engine did have to work very hard to get the job done. Also, those windows on the Evoque look fantastic on the outside, but they were seriously limiting my visibility, especially out of the rear.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for LR look, but the platform is old with a lot of ford bits in there. I still don't trust that LR / Ford can build anything reliable. The x3 is definitely no looker.

How can you ask a question here without getting something you didn't ask for: have you considered a Q5 or an used Cayenne?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Love the Evoque and that would be my choice.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 203 Posts

If only the Evoque had a V8....
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Same situation you are in and purchased the 2 door Evoque with skyview and the turbo-diesel engine for my wife. I think there are sport cars and there are SUVs, trying to achieve the former in the latter is a losing proposition. The Evoque has plenty of torque, exceptional all wheel drive and class leading ectronic assistance not to mention one of the best interior/exterior combinations I have ever seen. I was also hard pressed to find any Ford parts anywhere on the car, but this is the European version SD4. Also keep in mind it is for my wife, so looks weigh-in a lot more then a fraction faster 0-60 times. It was also cute that Top Gear had it as their car of the year for its off-road performance.

At the end of the day my high-heels wearing wife loves it, her X5 owning friends want one, and I enjoy the gratitude . Enough said.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get the diesel in the US?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3, wonderful engine and most everything is included for 4yrs.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The Evoque is a great styling exercise and a small 4-banger lugging 4000 pounds. Best looking out there and a super nice interior too.

The 35i is the choice if you want a more pedestrian looking but much sportier SUV. The 300 horse turbo six is a sweet and fast mill, but it the interior isn't as nice as the Evoque, nor can the BMW's exterior come close to the LR, in my humble opinion.

The 35i is the driver's car, the Evoque is a visual SUV dream. Do you want the average looking girl who's a dynamite in the sack, or the gorgeous supermodel who can't kiss well?

Your call.
She can be taught to kiss!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

The RR is gorgeous but a bit short on horsepower and cargo space is very limited. The X3 did get bigger and the six turbo is an incredible engine. Lots of punch but not so friendly on fuel. The X3 3.5 is pretty sporty with the big wheels and drives incredibly well. Hard to choose but if money was no object, I would go for 3.5 M package/ aero kit.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
Same situation you are in and purchased the 2 door Evoque with skyview and the turbo-diesel engine for my wife. I think there are sport cars and there are SUVs, trying to achieve the former in the latter is a losing proposition. The Evoque has plenty of torque, exceptional all wheel drive and class leading ectronic assistance not to mention one of the best interior/exterior combinations I have ever seen. I was also hard pressed to find any Ford parts anywhere on the car, but this is the European version SD4. Also keep in mind it is for my wife, so looks weigh-in a lot more then a fraction faster 0-60 times. It was also cute that Top Gear had it as their car of the year for its off-road performance.

At the end of the day my high-heels wearing wife loves it, her X5 owning friends want one, and I enjoy the gratitude . Enough said.
Pix!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

You guys rock. Thanks. We also loved Goofballdeluxe's quote

Do you want the average looking girl who's a dynamite in the sack, or the gorgeous supermodel who can't kiss well?

Quick Reply: OT: LR Evoque vs BMW X3 35i