993 Forum 1995-1998

Targa Sunshade Blind Problems Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderman827
Apologies for busting in to the 993 discussion but I'm striking out in 996 land. I've what seems to be a similar issue with my '05 Targa. Shining a light into the track for the sunshade for the passenger side I can see two little metal studs running up and down the track. On the driver's side the rear one is missing. I've tried digging through repair manuals but can't seem to find what all I need to do to repair/replace that part. Trying to make the decision if it's something I can fix myself or if I need to tuck tail and head to a repair shop. Any insight you have would be appreciated. I took pics and a video of the parts in question if anyone would like.
I got nothing. Pretty sure the 996 targa top, while it looks similar, is much different than the 993. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 996 top was designed and built by CTS, a completely different company than Webasto, builder of the glass mechanical monster in the 993.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yah, we are going to be hard pressed to help on the 996 Targa - but post pictures as much as you can, and that might strike up some conversations that help. I agree with mpruden, the manufacturer and design are quite a bit different, even the way the roof is fitted is completely different.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderman827
Apologies for busting in to the 993 discussion but I'm striking out in 996 land. I've what seems to be a similar issue with my '05 Targa. Shining a light into the track for the sunshade for the passenger side I can see two little metal studs running up and down the track. On the driver's side the rear one is missing. I've tried digging through repair manuals but can't seem to find what all I need to do to repair/replace that part. Trying to make the decision if it's something I can fix myself or if I need to tuck tail and head to a repair shop. Any insight you have would be appreciated. I took pics and a video of the parts in question if anyone would like.

spyderman827 -

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the 996 targa tops since I've never owned or worked on one. But it sounds like it uses the same "slip shoes" or "slip bearings" as in the 993 model. If so, it would be part 993-562-587-00. They simply clip on to the ends of the shade bows. I don't know how to describe the pieces and Porsche doesn't seem to consistently refer to these small pieces by the same name. But PM me and I could look at your video / pics and try to figure it out.

The 996 targa top mechanism is completely different from the 993. So, despite my suggestion that maybe the slip shoes are the same, I don't really believe much (if any) of the parts are interchangeable between the two models. The shade and glass mechanism work as more as a single unit. The 996 targa was built off the 996 coupe body style whereas the 993 targa was built off the cabriolet body style. Porsche actually installed the 996 units through the windshield as opposed to simply bolting and glueing the top to the body in the 993. Thus, it has a much more rigid foundation - part of the reason why the rear window can be opened in the 996 and not on the 993.

Marc G.

Last edited by mgianzero; 07-27-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:28 PM
spyderman827
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mpruden, Mike, and Marc,

Thank you so much for the relpies. I just got back from the dealer, it looks like the whole top has a single part number, for the entire frame mechanism, whish is why I couldn't find a diargram of what its internal components are. I'm going to do a bit more research on what it'll take to replace it myself, but I've a feeling it's going to me more than I can handle.

Thanks again for the help and for letting a water-cooled guy bust in.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

well, that sucks - what do they expect you do do, replace the entire roof if a single part wears out? That just does not sound right. I would double check both by looking for the 996 parts guides (I think you can get if off the Porsche web site) and talking to say Sunset.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 02:46 AM
993Targaman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 97 993 targa, how concerned should I be about the glass top? I have read they are known to fail at some point. Mine slides back perfectly as does the sunshade. What are the tale tell signs of failing tops?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey, that car looks familiar :-)

mgianzero is the resident targa roof expert. He's rebuilt many of these and can best speak to real-world failure modes.

In my limited experience, a roof that is clean (nothing impeding movement), has working drains, and is properly adjusted should be smooth and quiet. It should "just work."

Like any of the car's systems, there are parts that wear out and will need to be replaced. I wouldn't stress about it until there is a problem. Parts are expensive and qualified labor is hard to find, though!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shade Replacement

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Guys - I've completely rebuilt my targa top, including replacing the cabling system that activates the glass top, as well as did the shade rebuild. I've done several repairs for fellow RL'ers on these tops. I do what I call a "refresh" of all the seals and replace any worn or broken parts. Guy, you are correct in saying the pull-bow rods can be bent. That is a common weak point in the targa shade design - not to mention a few other things.

Your description of how to repair sound accurate, but I find that pics and video really show the problem areas best. I've put together some pics and video, but can never get too much. So if anyone is near my area and needs some adjustments, maybe we can get together and also make some video of these problem areas.

I was debating remanufacturing some of Porsche's weaker parts with stronger machined aluminum or the like. Just another project I may pursue and some point.

Marc Gianzero
Marc do you know where one might find a new shade? I checked with Gert and my local guy, and we cannot find these anywhere. Mine is working OK since we replaced quite a few parts, but the shade itself will not roll up all the way sometimes. When it is warm, no problems. When it is cold and less bendable, then it does not retract as it should.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:21 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
Marc do you know where one might find a new shade? I checked with Gert and my local guy, and we cannot find these anywhere. Mine is working OK since we replaced quite a few parts, but the shade itself will not roll up all the way sometimes. When it is warm, no problems. When it is cold and less bendable, then it does not retract as it should.
Alex,

To be honest I've never had to change a shade so I don't know if Porsche even sells this item. Did you try Sunset Imports? I guess that's because there's usually a lot of adjustments you can do to make it work better. The shade itself rarely needs replacing.

However, over the few years that Porsche built these targas (1996 thru 1998) they modified some parts and also changed some of the recommended assembly instructions in their TSB's. I know they increased the spring tension in the shade roller from 19 to 23 turns. So you may have to tension the spring up to 23 turns to make it snap back better. I did this to mine and it made a difference. Refer to TSB #9703 "Noises from the Targa Roof Area" (look under section 11.2 - Tensioning and adjustment of the sun screen). You can see all the TSB's on Mike J's website - pcarworkshop.com. You can find it under the documentation section of the 993.

Also, make sure there is nothing causing the shade to catch or ride unevenly on either side. And make sure the slip bearings are in good shape (I believe there are 12 on the shade and 4 total on the slip bearing brackets (993 562553 00 and 993 562 554 00). Sometimes these slip bearing brackets bend out of shape a bit and cause the shade to not ride smoothly in its tracks too.

You can always send me a PM as I don't always follow the Rennlist discussion emails so closely. I just happened to read this one.

Good luck -

Marc Gianzero

Quick Reply: Targa Sunshade Blind Problems Fixed