993 Forum 1995-1998

Chris Harris drives Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
They start w/ the best air cooled chassis for their purpose, which is an updated 911RSR look, w/ modern amenities.
I'm with you in that the engine is compelling and would be nice to have in my 993.

However, when I think of the best air-cooled chassis, it's the 993 with its multilink rear suspension and other refinements. Fortunately for those of us who like the 993 as is, they make for a harder conversion.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
I'm with you in that the engine is compelling and would be nice to have in my 993.

However, when I think of the best air-cooled chassis, it's the 993 with its multilink rear suspension and other refinements. Fortunately for those of us who like the 993 as is, they make for a harder conversion.
I don't get that logic at all. Why wouldn't you want them to be able to use "the best" as their starting platform?

The guys at Singer are taking great machines and refining them with the end result being even better machines.

That (especially in this day and age,) should be applauded.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
A year ago Singers were going between $200-300k. Now all of the sudden they are $400-500k when they realize big bloated fat cats would pay that. That is just ridiculous money. But hey, who am I to argue with free market economics.
I'm quite certain that the price increase isn't due to an opportunity to take advantage of immensely wealthy customers. The sheer quality of every bespoke component is the most likely factor - note the $30k wiring harness or $65k engine - let alone what they pay Aria for the carbon body parts....

I'd be surprised if they're making very much on each sale - especially considering overheads involved. Now, when they start building 50 a year & selling Singer branded parts individually, different story.

Good luck to them!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I don't get that logic at all. Why wouldn't you want them to be able to use "the best" as their starting platform?

The guys at Singer are taking great machines and refining them with the end result being even better machines.

That (especially in this day and age,) should be applauded.
It's because in my view, and I realize I'm probably in the minority, the 993 is virtually best in every way of all the aircooled variants. As an example, let's take styling. While I like the way a long hood looks, it doesn't hold a candle to the styling of a 993. That's why I cringe at the thought of modifying a 993 to look like something else.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

well done to them.. Rob and crew are so nice (and original). The green car was stunning in person!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

The Singer looks soooo much better than that GT3RS.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent video, I wonder who in CA is E-coating there cars?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kika
Chad, time to fess up! What were you doing at Singer?
Do some engine work?
-OK, ok, I'll chime in a bit... I work there! And I LOVE IT... Due to tip toeing around confidentiality issues I try not to blab too much, even though I would love to tell you guys all about the things I do everyday! It was the same when I worked for Porsche Motorsport, 6 years of unforgettable cool stuff.. And before PMNA l worked at Andial for 4 years, even more cool stuff.. Singer is the job I've been wishing for. I wanted to get back into working on complete cars like in the Andial days, and I was leaning toward going into restoration-I love to do very clean detailed work. As I was floating my resume around several awesome shops, I heard through the industry that Singer was looking for a Porsche tech.
So I met with them, they wouldn't let me leave, and I was very interested in the work. win-win

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I'm quite certain that the price increase isn't due to an opportunity to take advantage of immensely wealthy customers. The sheer quality of every bespoke component is the most likely factor - note the $30k wiring harness or $65k engine - let alone what they pay Aria for the carbon body parts....

I'd be surprised if they're making very much on each sale - especially considering overheads involved. Now, when they start building 50 a year & selling Singer branded parts individually, different story.

Good luck to them!
Nicely put..

-Guys, seriously, Like you all, I am 993 through and through, but you just don't really know what goes into these 911's. First off, ANY complete restoration from bare metal tub will be gobs of $$$. Throw in almost all new factory Porsche parts, ridiculous carbon body and show stopping paint job, custom Singer only developed pieces, full custom leather interiors, complete new motorsport style wire harness, Cosworth engine, You saw the video, Add up the numbers, add up the assembly hours...

I love my 993 dearly, and will continue to mod tastefully.. but the Singer is just in a different ballpark guys. It's meant to be fully functional rolling artwork..

And yes, we are very busy, and have a list of cars to build.
To the point where we may need more techs.!!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
-OK, ok, I'll chime in a bit... I work there! And I LOVE IT... Due to tip toeing around confidentiality issues I try not to blab too much, even though I would love to tell you guys all about the things I do everyday! It was the same when I worked for Porsche Motorsport, 6 years of unforgettable cool stuff.. And before PMNA l worked at Andial for 4 years, even more cool stuff.. Singer is the job I've been wishing for. I wanted to get back into working on complete cars like in the Andial days, and I was leaning toward going into restoration-I love to do very clean detailed work. As I was floating my resume around several awesome shops, I heard through the industry that Singer was looking for a Porsche tech.
So I met with them, they wouldn't let me leave, and I was very interested in the work. win-win

Nicely put..

-Guys, seriously, Like you all, I am 993 through and through, but you just don't really know what goes into these 911's. First off, ANY complete restoration from bare metal tub will be gobs of $$$. Throw in almost all new factory Porsche parts, ridiculous carbon body and show stopping paint job, custom Singer only developed pieces, full custom leather interiors, complete new motorsport style wire harness, Cosworth engine, You saw the video, Add up the numbers, add up the assembly hours...

I love my 993 dearly, and will continue to mod tastefully.. but the Singer is just in a different ballpark guys. It's meant to be fully functional rolling artwork..

And yes, we are very busy, and have a list of cars to build.
To the point where we may need more techs.!!
Well put and congratulations on these stunning cars. Expensive -- yes but understandable! If money was no object I can't imagine I would want any other car above that of a Singer!!

BWT -- 993's are lovely cars but give your heads a shake!!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Twin Screw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to have an insider to provide more insight. What Rob Dickinson and team did for me was really pull me back personally to the best of what the 911 stands for. I spent almost an hour on the phone with Rob this past summer discussing what they do, spec, pricing, etc. He would have spent another hour if that would have been my desire....very open and forthcoming. I just think their stuff is off the charts and it inspired me to take what I believe to be the best chassis and era (993) and tweak it.

I can't wait to see where they take this brand over time. I think it can be something special.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
Well put and congratulations on these stunning cars. Expensive -- yes but understandable! If money was no object I can't imagine I would want any other car above that of a Singer!!

BWT -- 993's are lovely cars but give your heads a shake!!
9M has built some very nice cars, including 993s
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Agreed. I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't trade my 993 (the 95) for a Singer (with the assumption I couldn't sell whichever car I picked). Singer is nice, but it's not a 993.......
I would trade my 993 TT, wife, kids and parents for one.

As for the cost, excellence is expensive. They attempted to build the best 911 using the best of breed for everything, that's not going to be cheap. They didn't get together and say lets build a great car, they said lets build the BEST, literally the BEST car possible. They made panels, sourced one-off parts and built what they couldn't buy.

Its easy to spend $100K to get an RS Backdate made using off the shelf parts and 964 donor car if you want it to look and drive great, now put that up against what these guys did. I can't believe they can sell it for that cheap.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Ferd the Bird
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are works of art - the build quality and attention to the details is astounding, and they drive (and just as important, SOUND) great. Kind of surprising to me, the "turning heads" factor is off the charts for this car - I own the green one and it draws so many comments it's almost problematic. I've got some pretty cool cars, but for whatever reason this is the one that makes people nutsy! Best money I've ever spent on a vehicle!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferd the Bird
These cars are works of art - the build quality and attention to the details is astounding, and they drive (and just as important, SOUND) great. Kind of surprising to me, the "turning heads" factor is off the charts for this car - I own the green one and it draws so many comments it's almost problematic. I've got some pretty cool cars, but for whatever reason this is the one that makes people nutsy! Best money I've ever spent on a vehicle!
Welcome to Rennlist. That car is just....stunning.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 168 Posts

Assume that Ferdinand Porsche would have said:

"I wouldn't change a screw on that car!"

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives Singer 911