Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Connecticut shop for top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My dad used to take is Mercedes to "My Garage", located in Naugatuck, right off Route 8.
Can't tell you much else. I know he always has a gaggle of Porches and other Germans on his lot.
http://mygarageinc.com/index.html
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

1 qt per 500 miles is excessive, regardless of what your dealer tells you. My opinion...get a leakdown done by a reputable shop. You need to find out where the leakage is coming from...although I'm almost certain its exhaust valve guides.

Now, as the experienced Mike J mentioned in another thread, by ignoring this (if it is exh. vg) not only will you beat up your valve seats, cats (from all the oil), but you risk breaking a valve due to lack of heat transfer to the head.

I think it really comes down to your risk aversion. Will the car most likely be fine with another 10k miles? yeah probably. But if something breaks, like a valve, that $7k top end will be a $18k rebuild.

The other thing to consider is that with that much oil burn and expected cylinder leakage, the car will be down on power.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys
I just picked up my car tonight from Dan Jacobs shop
He performed a leak down and found:
1:0% , 2: 2%, 3:2%, 4:2%, 5: 4%, 6: 2%
So that is actually really great according to Dan, porsche recommends no less then 3%
He also removed the eshaust manifold and checked the exhause valve guides and said there was NO exccessive play in the guides.
He drained the balance of the synthetic oil and installed conventional oil w a new filter, he said the synthetics have a tendancy to burn more then conventional oil so this will hopefully stem it a little.
He thinks it could be that the rings just never truly broke in and could be the cause of the leaking.
He thinks the engine is very strong and that I am in no danger of hurting the engine,
he also said that the newer conventional oils will do less harm to the cats, and that we actually have two steel cats on a 993 and they should not take too much abuse from the excessive oil burning.
I am very happy, Kind of feel like a **** head though, i was a bit frustrated with the dealer last week when i went to visit them and they basically told me the same thing Dan did. Needless to say, i feel much better knowing it has been properly inspected and that it is in solid shape.

Thanks everyone, for your support
Now I can afford some new wheels and tires that are LONG over due
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

wow, thats great, but weird at the same time. That kind of oil burning with such low leakdown is unusual
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Great news!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
ericwatson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1996 993 burns about 1 quart every 600 miles. I took it to Taylor Chapman here in Northern Virgina since the car only has 50k on it and he basically told me that the car was running fine and the oil consumption was within spec.

It is annoying though since it doesn't take long to run the oil down.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Eric
I am glad i am not the only one with this problem
How long have you been driving it like that?
The folks at hairy dawg said I should keep driving it also
Who am i to argue with them when they stand to earn alot of bussiness telling me otherwise
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Also consider the type of driving you're doing in relation to oil consumption. Short trips and heavy traffic trigger higher oil consumption than longer trips in my experience.

Quick Reply: Looking for Connecticut shop for top end rebuild