Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
Any more updates on the oil burning issue?

Yep.

The car is back at Ninemeister and we are waiting on delivery of a new set of cylinders to go with a new set of rings before we pull the engine for a look see. The problem will be not be a problem for much longer!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Progress is finally being made. New 993RS pistons and cylinders (Mahle from Porsche), crankcases machined out for 109mm cylinder spigots, seals installed, parts cleaned ready for rebuild:
Attached Images        
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mark busy again today, with the new 9m93RS engine going back together like clockwork. By the end of play tonight Mark had the engine ready to set the cam timing.
Attached Images         
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 AM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks fabulous !
I have a good feeling that the blue smoke she emitted is very soon a problem of the past!
/9MRSCS
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM
pipingken1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been able to identify the problem with the first 3.8 build?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM
pcs7556964
Advanced

Thumbs up Looking nice

There is something special with engine pictures...

Will be fun to see progress and the new dyno figures.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pipingken1
Have you been able to identify the problem with the first 3.8 build?
The problem was a combination of factors mainly to do with bought in aftermarket parts not having the same attention to detail in critical areas of the machining, all leading to problems with the piston ring to bore seal. I'm not saying any more. Suffice to say that I made the decision with the engine to use a zero risk solution, hence why we chose to fit a Mahle RS P&C set. Ultimately we will 100% solve the problem when we start up our own production processes for pistons and cylinders but that will not come in time to get this car to Spa in April.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Default 2014

After the re-build the 9MRSCS will be droppet at the deep end of the pool

I have booked track days with Circuit Days and Get Speed on the Nürburgring driving on the 2-4th of April. Further to this I have track events on the 6 & 7th of April in Sweden so the car will see lots of action already this early in the season!

This will be the earliest I have driven on the Ring and I will keep my fingers crossed that we will have good weather. I will try to post some video from these days using both Harrys Laptimer and a GoPro.

9M will also fit a new steering wheel to allow me to sit a bit further back to gain more legroom around the steering wheel. The car was converted from 4 to 2 wheel drive and we are also bringing the front mount of the gearbox to RS standard. To improve my personal safety I have invested in a HANS-hybrid neck restraint device - just in case

All in all I hope 2014 will be a year when I will get to know the ins and outs of the 9MRSCS.

I will keep posting on this thread and perhaps inspire some of You RennListers to follow down my crazy petrol path..... you know Colin and 9M are only a phone call away
/9MRSCS
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 PM
pipingken1
Advanced

The problem was a combination of factors mainly to do with bought in aftermarket parts not having the same attention to detail in critical areas of the machining, all leading to problems with the piston ring to bore seal. I'm not saying any more.
Thanks for sharing, it is a shame when you are let down by others in this way.

This will be the earliest I have driven on the Ring and I will keep my fingers crossed that we will have good weather. I will try to post some video from these days using both Harrys Laptimer and a GoPro.
Looking forward to the action shots and the running fine for you.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Engine fully built, gearbox updated with new C2 nose section & C2 cradle, new clutch installed. With the engine running we Mark has it on the 4 post lift with the rear-end wheel alignment underway.

The rear bumper has just been left off whilst we do the break-in and pre-collection checks on the dyno.
Attached Images     
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Colin, Looking good! I do look forward to the dyno! Hope you had a good time being Franz? All the best from Lindvallen/Sälen /9MRSCS

Last edited by 9MRSCS; 03-20-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:25 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Franz Klammer or Frank Spencer? It's a coin toss. The sun shone all week, the snow was great and the company even better. Fab week in Courchevel (again), thanks.

We have to be careful with the break in on the dyno as this will not be a number chase but all I can say is that the last RS engine we built and tuned with the same cams made 360hp. Time will tell.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Final job: modify the rear bumper to remove the US bumperettes. Well, it's a bit more than that as we are also cutting cooling ducts to the sides of the bumpers where the heat from the silencers has already damaged the paint, although I must add that the cause of this was down to failed mounts allowing the silencers to touch the bumper rather than over-hot running silencers. The customer's cunning plan is to cut out the over-rider holes to a regular rectangle and bond in blue mesh on the back to visually disguise the holes.
Attached Images     
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And here are the finished holes: a great save for a heat damaged non-euro bumper if you ask me.
Attached Images       
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 AM
9MRSCS
Rennlist Member

Default The 9MRSCS back at the Nürburgring

I picked the car up at 9M on monday the 31st of March to start the 1000 km trip south to the Nürburgring where we had booked 3 concecutive track days with two operators. The first day was with Circuit Days and the following two with GetSpeed.

Colin and crew had put the car back together and washed it of. The new steering wheel felt great even though the old one which they had hand made was nicer to hold and to look at. But the new wheel is more that 2" closer to me allowing the seat to be moved back a bit allowing better legroom under the steering wheel. I need this as I am 190 cm long and it has improved my position in the car. The mesh which they had put in the rear bumper looked great and the towing hook now allows me to winch the car up on my lorry with the rear first.
The trip down to the ring allowed me to run in the new cylinders and pistons and my calculations came to the conclusion that the piston rings would pass the cylinder bore approximately 3,6 millon times before I reached Nürburg!

The oil was in the middle of the stick when I left 9M and I did 1000 km to the ring and then 50 fast laps of the ring = 1000 km. For this amount of driving I topped up the oil with 0,4 litre - the oil problem is definitely SOLVED

As the car still is very new to me I am slowly improving my driving of the car and there are still many areas where I can improve. I can fore sure brake later but there is also much room to optimize which gear you use such that you avoid to many gear changes and can concentrate on finding the right line to bring more speed out of the corners.

The car is very analog in its feel and a fantastic ring tool. The tires I run, Toyo Proxy 888, has a tendency to get a bit hot and even though I feel comfortable on them I will try the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 when they are available in 18" which as far as I know will be in september this year.

My last lap on friday ended with a puncture in fuchsröhre, probably as a result of a Porsche cayman having gone off at flugplatz leaving debris on the track. Fortunately the stiff sides of the R-tyre allowed me to get the speed down and I could limp back to Adenau where we could load the car ont the lorry for the journey back to Sweden.

I took some film but had a bit of problems with my equipment. I use a iphone 5 with Harry´s Lap Timer with a VBox sport providing 20Hz update for the GPS position=very accurate. It turns out that Harry made an update which should improve the connection with VBox but I found this out to late.

For all you Rennlisters who have not driven the Nürburgring I hope you will have the opportunity to do so and if not you can always enjoy my lap on this link:

Big thanks to Colin and 9M who took this operation to fix my oil problem as a warranty issue with no hassle. The car is now superb fun to drive and I am confident that my driving on the ring will improve with practice. I have also some filming with GoPro which I will post as soon as I have figured out how to edit it down to one lap.

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Clubsport #5 from USA origin Carrera 4