Sponsored by:

Poor Man's RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor Man's RWD Conversion

One can slide the clamping sleeve up the drive shaft on the AWD cars and resecure so that the front drive shaft does not connect anymore to the viscous coupler. Any problem with driving around like this?

Finally, a questionable viscous coupler test is to spin a rear wheel and see if either front wheel moves. My opposite rear spins backwards but no front wheel movement other than a "jiggle" occasionally. Potential shot viscous coupler?

Thanks for any input, Brian

BTW: finally got the WEJ-IT PS2-58 chemical anchors secured and ran the MAX JAXX lift successfully for the first time today!!! Photos to follow.

Last edited by osugasman; 01-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know a good way to test the VC. Don't forget that the fluid gets more viscous as it heats up, so a static test is probably useless.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the drive shaft is turnable , you have to just raise one rear side and leave the opposite rear wheel on the ground. One or both front would then have to be off the ground of course to see if you have power to the front axel/s. Better yet put it on a hoist and use engine power.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian, As Steve said. But if you can feel drag statically when you have a front wheel spun at a different rate against the rear there is something left in the VC. When fresh it is a very firm connection but a "softer" unit will transmit torque just not as quickly or thoroughly. Think of a VC as a gallon of paint. If you stir it really slowly the stir stick will move through the paint as you stir faster the resistance goes up and the can starts to spin. The inner and outer portion of the 993 VC spins at the same speed until there is a differential in speed between the front and rear (wheel spin). When that happens the shearing of the silicon fluid occurs between the internal plates transferring torque. Personally I think the VC is too small and most start to loose there edge by 20-30K.

As for the "Poor Man's RWD" by removing the disconnect sleeve (meant for two wheel towing so you don't smoke the VC) you will notice some improved steering feel only if the VC was functioning. The big improvement comes from the removal of the components. Overall weight reduction and the minor drag created by the front halfshafts are certainly noticeable in the feel when they are gone.
Rick
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
osugasman
Racer

Thanks to all for info. I will drive it around for a while as a RWD conversion and then convert back while on lift and "see" what happens when I drive it while up there.

--Brian
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Nice lift. Symetrical or asymmetrical?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
osugasman
Racer

Paul, I loaded it asymmetrically to try and keep the CofG centered between the posts. Seemed to work well since I wasn't top/bottom heavy. All 4 wheels off ground between 1-2 inches.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Sort of thought that as you appeared to have it backed into your garage. I have a similar setup with a Rotary asymmetrical and will lift the P that way also.

Quick Reply: Poor Man's RWD Conversion