OT: Visit to San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Nooch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Visit to San Diego

Cross-post from 993tt forum:
Hi guys, will be visiting San Diego Jan 22-27. Any must see/must do venues I should be aware of? Especially up for having a beer with any of you gearheads....first one's on me

Adriano
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Nooch
Cross-post from 993tt forum:
Hi guys, will be visiting San Diego Jan 22-27. Any must see/must do venues I should be aware of? Especially up for having a beer with any of you gearheads....first one's on me

Adriano
tell us what you like to do.
recommendations can range from visiting Seaworld or visiting the local Cheetahs (gentlemens club)

since you are probably a gear head, a visit on saturday morning to the Taco Bell headquarters parking lot in Irvine is not to be missed.
by far the best C&C i've attended.
be there by 7am and enjoy the exotica for 2 hours.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Nooch
Racer

Thanks....wouldn't mind going for some scenic drives/hikes. Wife would like to do some shopping, visit some historic sites ( no Cheetahs club ).
The CC sounds great!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

your wife would probably like the shops in the La Jolla area. scenic driving in that area along the coast as well. night time in the Gas Lamp district - lots of restaurants, music, etc. the San Diego zoo is world famous of course. a drive to the desert - Joshua Tree area. lots to do.. can't see it all in a week.....
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

A visit to downtown Encinitas on the coast, is a must! Lots of great little shops and restaurants... Hey, I'm helping out the local merchants-and I'm not lying.

Irvine is great, as Craig mentions. If you can't budget the time, the Secret Car Club in RSF is pretty cool too. We only had about $4 million worth of cars there yesterday-not bad when there are 20 or so cars. Of course, one was $2mil by itself. The 300SL Gullwing ate up another chunk.

Last Saturday of the month is PCA day at the weaker CC in Carlsbad.

That's the Rolex 24 weekend too. I'm in Michigan until Friday morning, and now thinking about heading down to Daytona for the race instead of back to SD. However, if I keep my existing flights home, I'll be around that weekend, and would love to hook up for a beer. Lots of choices there-San Diego County is pretty much the US microbrew capitol nowadays. Sorry Portland....
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh, a number of museums in Balboa Park-right next door to downtown.

Whale watching time too....a number of excursions from a couple of hours to all day for that.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 226 Posts

Nooch,
I am not a San Diego resident nor have I ever lived there but I am in San Diego 2 to 3 times a year on business. I usually extend my trip by a day or two to soak in the nice weather....in fact I will be there the last week in January but will be jammed with business all week and will also need to shuttle up to LA before heading back to Philly.

Some suggestions from an outsider...

hike Torrey Pines State Park (some advice if you are not an avid hiker pay the fee and drive to the top and park up on the hill, climbing the half mile hill to get to the hiking trails is tiring and time consuming).

Check out La Jolla village, they have a nice Ferrari dealer and another exotic dealer as well as some cool shops your wife will like and a bunch of good restaurants. I recommend the rooftop of George's on the Cove. (look them up, great food and nice atmosphere...bring a jacket or sweater in the evening).

You can also kayak, bike, and whale watch from La Jolla.

The Gas Lamp District has some good restaurants and typical shopping like Urban Outfitters, Guess etc. This was less interesting to my family when they joined me on a trip since we are always in Philadelphia and NY and Baltimore....The Gas Lamp District is a smaller version of the shopping areas in these cities but less hectic for sure which is nice.

If you are a war historian the Midway is pretty cool and there is a nice shopping village in that area right on the water...cant recall the name so maybe a local can help out here.

A little further away is Del Mar which also has some great restaurants and a nice beach and path to walk along.

Hope this helps and enjoy, its a great city and area.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Nooch
Racer

Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm sure I can plan our stay around the various ideas posted.
My cell is 416-709-5544, take me up for that beer if you're in town.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

Lots of good suggestions. If you want a fun drive, take the twisties up to Julian for the famous apple pie. Scenic, fun, and wife-friendly.

Don't forget Coronado (one of my favorite spots in SD) and a drive out on the Sunset Cliffs is worthwhile too.

I'll be up in Mammoth skiing otherwise would love to have met for a beer.

Quick Reply: OT: Visit to San Diego