Sponsored by:

993's and RS4's!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
So far the mileage on the RS4 is better than my old B7 S4!
LOL
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that's not saying much

Originally Posted by tanger
Agree w/ earlier comments on shifting (would add sticky clutch pedal when driven hard as well as pedals not set up to heel toe), but that's about it. If I keep her will probably add an ECU tune and maybe GMG exhaust (to better hear that glorious V8!). Otherwise, very perfect out of the box. Here are some pics:
BEAUTIFUL!!!! color.
When I order my "paint to sample" RS$ Avant, it'll be either this or nogaro blue.

just dreaming again.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No RS4 but I do have an RS6 with my S6 Avant as a daily driver / shop truck. When the S6 is finally worn to a nub an RS4 Avant will replace it. These cars certainly compliment our Porsches adding that sometimes needed practicality that a 993 does not do as well.
Rick

Last edited by Essexmetal; 06-24-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
No RS4 but I do have an RS6 with my S6 Avant as a daily driver / shop truck. When the S6 is finally worn to a nub an RS4 Avant will replace it. These cars certainly compliment our Porsches adding that sometimes needed practicality that a 993 does not do as well.
Rick
I love both your cars!! When we were just searching for a new daily, we drove a RS6, I have always loved them! The local one was a little beat up and didn't have a ton of options. I'm also a little scared to maintain it. Boy do I love the way they drive!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Mike, This RS6 only had 36K on it so I have not got into the cost of maintenance issue. Not sure they would be any worse than the parts for the 993TT. It drives like the heavy car it is but since it was built and sold in limited numbers no one knows what it is. Always fun to spank the SVT Mustangs at the light. I wish I had not promised myself to leave it stock. That car needs a chip in a big way. Bumping it up to 520 would keep it honest against any of the new stuff. The only thing that worries me is collision damage anywhere in the front. As you know that is where all the big buck bits are and I would guess many are no longer available.

Just buy one and deal with the problems as they arise. There won't be many and the perpetual smile you will have offsets the issues.
Rick
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick-

1st- your avatar pic rocks

B) GOODWOOD GREEN RS6 FTW!

noice pair you got thar

and

I admire many 'o yerseses comboseses in cars... varrrrry niiiiice.

Me, I jones for an RS4 cab... once I get out of the needing 5seatbelts thang, then maybe. I could even get past the mandatory carbon enemas. Damn FSI! 4.2L's of 40v'd WOTness @ 8250? Heh, yeah - giddeetheFup.

Buying an RS6 ain't for the squeamish or uninitiated, fersure. Putting any amount of miles on one requireds (demands) your undivided wallet/attention. Great machines regardless. I nearly went w/ a 6gang conversion one, but the 600 prevailed (I wasn't nearly as willpowerly as you Rick, software/exhaust are obligatory on blown beasts such as ours heh heh - having Fidelity helps lol).

Fun thread. I always applaud when folks can appreciate cars outside their regular/normal marques... I dig cars, first/foremost... Porsches included 8-)...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Rick
Wow. Subtle and loud greens! I love the way that green looks. Nice pick! Few Audi's have that 'cool' factor anymore.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
II'm also a little scared to maintain it. Boy do I love the way they drive!
Yea. Rick - watch out for the Tiptronic transmissions. It's pretty common for them to need a rebuild every 45k miles even under normal driving. The whole front end comes off for that.

They drive nice for sure - bit of understeer though.

Stealth - look for a C5-chassis 2.7TT or 4.2. They should be a little easier maintenance wise. Both sedan-chassis's had an optional sport package (sport suspension didn't appear until second year in - don't know if all sport package cars had the suspension?). Giveaway of the sport package is the seats, same as a U.S. market RS6 (no piping, however). In the U.S. the 4.2 was automatic only, although some have been converted to a 6-speed. For the U.S., both engines were offered in either sedan or Allroad form, and the S6 was a tuned 4.2 in avant form only.

Back about 10 years ago now (wow.....) when the RS6 was new, I saw a brand new one (still had dealer plates) get converted to an avant. Pretty interesting!

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
GOODWOOD GREEN RS6 FTW!
It's a really nice color on the RS6. Not a common one either IIRC. Get tired of Daytona Grey.

Take care!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

No 993 (yet? ) and no RS4...but:

I did order an Imola Yellow S4 in 00 in advance of my first stock grant vesting. In a bit of what I thought at the time was forward thinking maturity I cancelled it as it would have wiped out the entire proceeds from my stock sale. You can see where this is going, I didn't sell the market crashed and I got nothing out of that stock anyway. Shoulda bought the S4 and had something to show for it!

My daily/"practical" car is an 08 E90 M3 sedan that I love, but it has the same mileage issues as the V8 RS4. I'll probably keep it for a few more years, but I too wish they'd bring the RS4 Avant over!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Mike, This RS6 only had 36K on it so I have not got into the cost of maintenance issue. Not sure they would be any worse than the parts for the 993TT. It drives like the heavy car it is but since it was built and sold in limited numbers no one knows what it is. Always fun to spank the SVT Mustangs at the light. I wish I had not promised myself to leave it stock. That car needs a chip in a big way. Bumping it up to 520 would keep it honest against any of the new stuff. The only thing that worries me is collision damage anywhere in the front. As you know that is where all the big buck bits are and I would guess many are no longer available.

Just buy one and deal with the problems as they arise. There won't be many and the perpetual smile you will have offsets the issues.
Rick
This one had 65kmi on it, but they were asking $30k! My main issue was there were no past records on the car, IMHO, a car like this needs service history!

CHIP IT! You will be very happy! I used to be a GM for a Audi/Porsche/VW shop, and we did a few RS6's. It was night and day after, they FLEW! BEst part was part throttle and just lower RPM daily driving, much cleaner power and more with far less throttle. It really wakes the car up.

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Yea. Rick - watch out for the Tiptronic transmissions. It's pretty common for them to need a rebuild every 45k miles even under normal driving. The whole front end comes off for that.

They drive nice for sure - bit of understeer though.

Stealth - look for a C5-chassis 2.7TT or 4.2. They should be a little easier maintenance wise. Both sedan-chassis's had an optional sport package (sport suspension didn't appear until second year in - don't know if all sport package cars had the suspension?). Giveaway of the sport package is the seats, same as a U.S. market RS6 (no piping, however). In the U.S. the 4.2 was automatic only, although some have been converted to a 6-speed. For the U.S., both engines were offered in either sedan or Allroad form, and the S6 was a tuned 4.2 in avant form only.
The trans needs to be flushed out every 30kmi, and dump the "lifetime fluid". On the first change you would not beleive how black and nasty the fluid if! Then you will know why the trans give out.

After having a B5 S4, I will NEVER own a 2.7t again! Very nice engine, but way to advanced and way to many little sensors that like to give up. I like the RS6, the A6 just doesn't do it for me.

I ended up picking up a E60 M5, with a 507hp V10. It's nice!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Had the combo (see my signature). My RS4 which had lots of little issues and a big suspension issue (DRC recall) which I had to deal with twice. Miss the engine noise, don't miss the hassle. It was a beast of a car though and a real head turner, which is why it's in my HOF.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Mike, Sorry, I do not have the personal restraint to just stop at a chip. Slippery slope and all that. I figure once she has some miles on it then the RS6 will get chipped up a bit. If i need a rush the 993 supplies that in buckets. I do all our Audi and Porsche service here in the shop. Thanks to you and French on the trans issues notes. I have done the trans fluid and filter on everything including my Wife's A6 4.2. You are correct about how nasty the fluid looks.

With your Audi experience you should be able to sort the RS6's out there and locate one that fits your requirements.

Rick
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Mike, Sorry, I do not have the personal restraint to just stop at a chip. Slippery slope and all that. I figure once she has some miles on it then the RS6 will get chipped up a bit. If i need a rush the 993 supplies that in buckets. I do all our Audi and Porsche service here in the shop. Thanks to you and French on the trans issues notes. I have done the trans fluid and filter on everything including my Wife's A6 4.2. You are correct about how nasty the fluid looks.

With your Audi experience you should be able to sort the RS6's out there and locate one that fits your requirements.

Rick
REVO! You will be very happy with it!

Yea, I might be able to sort it out, but I don't even have time anymore to change my own 993 oil never mind working on an Audi.

This was not "fun"
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

not to mention an earl change on an RS6 requires <gasp> lowering the subframe or raising the motor to clear the oil filter / sway bar

BRILLIANT!

8-/

oh

and

35k T-belt intervals (!!!)

FuchMe inthe GoatAss!

Tq converter failure, DRC recall / failure, $$$ front rotors, etc. etc. etc.

Parsnickety bastages, those...

All said / done, you're left w/ C5 interior cheapism and a 'meh' behaving chictronic gearbox. Shame.

I still dig 'em lol...
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
not to mention an earl change on an RS6 requires <gasp> lowering the subframe or raising the motor to clear the oil filter / sway bar
You just have to remove the sway bar clamps and swing it down to get enough room (barely). Getting the filter out (and in) is a bit of a pain, but no more difficult than a 993 oil change.
I firmly believe that the RS6 was designed on a bet between engineers (I bet you can't put two turbos on that 4.2 and still fit it in the A6).
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
You just have to remove the sway bar clamps and swing it down to get enough room (barely). Getting the filter out (and in) is a bit of a pain, but no more difficult than a 993 oil change.
I firmly believe that the RS6 was designed on a bet between engineers (I bet you can't put two turbos on that 4.2 and still fit it in the A6).
Audi in my eyes is a reverse Porsche, they stuff at much as they can IN FRONT of the drive axels. The packaging is NUTS! I can't believe how much crap needs to be removed for basic maintenance.

As in 6 hours to replace upper valve cover gaskets on a 2.7t. Or having to remove the entire front end of the car to replace the timing belt, that should have been a timing chain!

I still dig them as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
thanks for the clarification Tim - I was interpreting it from a potential owner's perspective, not from actually doing it

There's no getting around the 35k tbelt issue - like on your 2.7tt, Step One: place vehicle in 'Service Position'. It sounds naughty because it IS. Fuch.

I'd be doing 'that' ever 1.5yrs - imagine?

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Audi in my eyes is a reverse Porsche, they stuff at much as they can IN FRONT of the drive axels. The packaging is NUTS! I can't believe how much crap needs to be removed for basic maintenance....
.......I still dig them as well.
funny you mention the 'reverse Porsche' Mike - I always referred to my Audis as Bizarro Porsches

alas

TorSen quattro negates many sins muwhahaaha 8-)

me I'll assurredly own another

Quick Reply: 993's and RS4's!