Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Pls -- How-To Install 996 heated seats into 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 AM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Rob,
Please say these were 996 hard back sport seats you installed!
Yes mine are hardback sport seats. I'm don't think it would matter, instructions should work the same for soft back seats as well.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rconnon
Yes mine are hardback sport seats. I'm don't think it would matter, instructions should work the same for soft back seats as well.
I understand the install would be the same, but a set of 996 heated seats, to me, would not be an upgrade. The sport seats have the regular comfort seats beat to hell and back. I'm jus sayin...
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 PM
rconnon
Pro

Originally Posted by nine9six
I understand the install would be the same, but a set of 996 heated seats, to me, would not be an upgrade. The sport seats have the regular comfort seats beat to hell and back. I'm jus sayin...
totally agree, I love the 996 sport seats, was a great upgrade from stock 993 comfort seats.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:47 PM
clarky39
1st Gear

Default Other wires

Originally Posted by rconnon
Ok, So I think I have it figured out after a few hours of mucking around, help from Mike J and some other threads on the forums

Reference Threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...need-help.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-install.html

This is the process/instructions I used to mount 996 heated sport seats in my '95 993.

The physical install of the sport seats is pretty straight forward, this thread Leland posted is super easy to follow. I installed Manual Slide, Power Back seats so didn't have to deal with the memory / full power seats which are a lot more involved to install

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...stall-diy.html

Now, For Heated Seats

I bought these switches since they look like the Porsche 993 console switches. They came with heating pads, inline fuse and wiring harness. I cut off the heating pads which came with the kit and re-used the connectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-Hi...c21eef&vxp=mtr

If you've followed Lelands instructions you will have already cut off the 996 wiring harness under the seat which contains the +12v / Ground for the power back motor, Power to CU Seat relay, Hi/Low heat control wires, etc.

Attachment 692220

To Power the seat back take the Red and Brown Wires from the wiring harness and attached a standard 14-16guage bullet connector, these fit nicely into the 993 wiring harness. Plug the Red (+12v) into plug #8 and Brown (ground) into plug #7 on the 993 wiring harness. this will power the seats.

Attachment 692221

993 Seat Harness Pin-out (Thanks MikeJ)

Pin 1 - Ground for heater
Pin 2 - +12 for heater
Pin 3 - Ground for seat cushion height control rear, seat backrest control
Pin 4 - +12 for seat cushion height control rear, seat backrest control
Pin 5 - Ground Lumbar
Pin 6 - +12 Lumbar
Pin 7 - Ground - seat cushion height control front, seat back forward control
Pin 8 - + 12 - seat cushion height control front, seat back forward control

For the heated seats you need the following wires from the 996 wiring harness

+12V to CU seat heater - RED/VIOLET
3 x Brown ground wires
High Heat - YELLOW / RED wire
+12v from CU seat heater relay- YELLOW / BLACK
Low Heat - YELLOW / WHITE (I didnt wire in low heat so i taped this up)

Full wiring diagram here:

Attachment 692222

Take the Red/Violet +12v and one of the larger gauge ground wires (brown) and put bullet connectors on them just like you did for the seat motor. These will be plugged into the 993 wiring harness to power the CU Seat relay in the seats.

Attachment 692223

Plug the Red/Violet wire (+12v) into plug #2 and the Brown (ground) wire into plug #1 (Plug 1/2 are meant for the heated seat controls for the 993 so they are on a separate 25amp fuse and is controlled by the ignition)

Now the seat CU has power from the 993 seat wiring harness, we now need to wired up the switch and control wire to toggle on the heat.

Take the Yellow/Black +12v wire from the seat wiring harness and connect the the RED power wire for the switch wiring harness (this is the one that has the inline fuse) - Then Connect the second large brown ground wire from the 996 seat to the ground wire of the switch wiring harness. This will provide the power to the switch and the required power to toggle on/off the heater.

Attachment 692224

The switches I bought have a power light which gets powered from the +12V coming from the yellow/black power from the seat.

Last thinng to do is connect the high-heat control wire to the switch wiring harness. Cut off one of the connectors from the heater pads that came with the switch kit, we'll reuse these. Take the Yellow/Red wire from the 996 seat harness and connect to the Red wire from the connector you cut off the heating pad, then connect the remaining brown ground wire (smaller gauge of the 3) to the black wire from the connector we cut off the pad.

Attachment 692225

Thats the last step. Now you need to put the seat in the car, connect the bullet connectors for the power back [+12v to Pin #8, ground to Pin #7] + seat heater [+12v to Pin #2 ground to Pin#1]. Now Plug the Seat wiring harness connector to the switch connector, bolt the seats in and start her up and crank on the heat.

Attachment 692226

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
I’ve followed this and I don’t seem to have the heated seats working I’ve got 12v going into the heated seat relay and only 2.3v comming out on the yellow black wire 🤷‍♀️ I’ve fitted these seats in another vehicle so have had to make the loom from oem plug under seat to a three way switch, I have three wires left on the passenger loom brown/blue brown/white brown/Red and then drivers has two brown/blue and brown /red could this be the issue ? What are they for as I’m totally baffled

Quick Reply: Help Pls -- How-To Install 996 heated seats into 993?