Sponsored by:

996 heated sport seats install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 heated sport seats install

Bought this set from a local Rennlister. Thanks Jon!

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...eats-sold.html

Turns out his dad owns Brey-Krause so I even got free schwag, heh.

So what would you all say is the most 'sano place for the seat heater switches? On a 996, the heat controls are on the center console. I'm thinking a small aluminum bracket bolted to the front of each seat lower cushion and hidden from sight. There are a couple unused threaded holes in that area on my new seats. One would just reach down there and click for warm buns.

Oh and yeah I'm going to have a nice set of 993 hardbacks for sale

Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I put my heat switches on each side of the center console. For instance, the drivers side is just above the ODBII port. You cannot see them directly, but you can easily turn them one. In this case, the switches are small rockers (about 5/8" diameter) and only have a high/low setting, so with the carpet etc. they are hidden quite well.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

pics? Dumb question, but these 996 sport seats have "hi" and "low" for the heat, correct?

What switches did you use?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike J
I put my heat switches on each side of the center console. For instance, the drivers side is just above the ODBII port. You cannot see them directly, but you can easily turn them one. In this case, the switches are small rockers (about 5/8" diameter) and only have a high/low setting, so with the carpet etc. they are hidden quite well.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

would my 997 seats direct bolt in a 993?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Kiesan, sent you a pm!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Kie, there are several considerations. One - where to put the switches. Center console on either side of the e-brake Handle works well according to the pics I've seen.

The more important point is where you going to run power from, especially if you attach them to the seats. If you get power directly from the seat harness (logical, yeah?) you get uninterrupted 12V not controlled by ignition. In other words, forget to turn the heater off and your battery is toast (pun intended).

So, run the power from some source controlled by ignition.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Great advice thanks man. I thought about the "keyed" power as well. I know 993 models that come with heated seats have the switches at the seat control switch, and surely the stock seat heaters on a 993 power down if you turn the car off. So doesn't that mean that the power source for 993 seat heaters are already controlled by the ignition switch?

I've always thought that you can install heated 993 seats into a 993 that did not originally come with heated seats. You just plug them in and boom they work like factory. So doesn't that mean that every 993 comes with a plug that is ready to have a heated seat plugged into it?

Originally Posted by nile13
Kie, there are several considerations. One - where to put the switches. Center console on either side of the e-brake Handle works well according to the pics I've seen.

The more important point is where you going to run power from, especially if you attach them to the seats. If you get power directly from the seat harness (logical, yeah?) you get uninterrupted 12V not controlled by ignition. In other words, forget to turn the heater off and your battery is toast (pun intended).

So, run the power from some source controlled by ignition.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I powered my after-market seat heaters off the heater circuit supplied in the plug intended for the seat power. This appears to be switched, my seats do not run after the ignition is off. Really simple, use a standard crimp connector (the round ones), it plugs directly into the socket supplied at the wiring harness right under the seat.

Power is Pin 1 (ground) and Pin 2 (+12V). From what I know, Pin 2 is switched and fused.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Awesome thanks

I powered my after-market seat heaters off the heater circuit supplied in the plug intended for the seat power. This appears to be switched, my seats do not run after the ignition is off. Really simple, use a standard crimp connector (the round ones), it plugs directly into the socket supplied at the wiring harness right under the seat.

Power is Pin 1 (ground) and Pin 2 (+12V). From what I know, Pin 2 is switched and fused.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice seats Kie!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers

Mike
Mike, I'm sure you've told me this before, but to refresh - did you install aftermarket heating pads during full reupholstering of the seats? If not, what am I missing here?

As far as switched power, I'm fairly certain that my seats do move with ignition on. I'll double-check though. I remember installing Recaros with heat and ventilation into the previous cab and just taking power from the regular seat plug. Don't remember if it had both switched and un-switched power leads, though. Thought it did, but I might be mistaken, it's been about 4 years.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have Sparco seats...had the after-market pads put in about a year after I put the seats in, since its nice to have heat in the seats when the Targa top is open and its cold out. My upholstery shop replaced the foam bolsters in the seats, put in the pads, and then ran the power plug to the bottom of the seat. I wired the power to the switches from the plug underneath the seats.

If you have seats in place that take power (for instance back and forth), and then put in aftermarket heat, you will need to dig into the make connector on the seat to intercept the power. In my case, the Sparco's are entirely manual, so the only power i needed was for the heaters.

There are different circuits in the plug for the heat vs seat motors. The heated circuits are heavier, I believe its a 25 Amp circuit.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, thanks!

So I'm not crazy, the OEM seats are powered with unswitched 12V and than there are separate (larger gauge) switch wires going to that connector as well? Makes sense.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It appears that way from the wire diagrams.......the pin-out of the connector at the bottom of the seat is as follows (according on my 96 wiring diagrams):

Pin 1 - Ground for heater
Pin 2 - +12 for heater
Pin 3 - Ground for seat cushion height control rear, seat backrest control
Pin 4 - +12 for seat cushion height control rear, seat backrest control
Pin 5 - Ground Lumbar
Pin 6 - +12 Lumbar
Pin 7 - Ground - seat cushion height control front, seat back forward control
Pin 8 - + 12 - seat cushion height control front, seat back forward control

The heater wire is a 1.0 diameter, the rest are 1.5, so the motors take more power than the seat heater.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
would my 997 seats direct bolt in a 993?

Yes with slight modifications or you can buy a kit and this will allow you to put them back in a 997

Only if they don't have memory!!!!!

Quick Reply: 996 heated sport seats install