Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: electric water pump operation...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: electric water pump operation...

I know this is WAY off topic...but I have tried in the BMW forums and can't get any meaningful input...I'm sure this topic applies to most all new cars. Anyway...moderators can delete this if necessary.

My car is a '08 535i. The water pump is an electric driven pump motor. What tells the water pump to start pumping when the car is heating up after initial start...from cold? In the old days, the thermostat was inline, blocked the flow of water until the thermostat determined the water was hot enough, then it opened up and the water flowed.

Do the new cars use a thermostat with a mechanical valve (that can stick), or does the computer just leave the pump off until it sees the water temp raised to certain value? I'm wondering if instead of a "true" thermostat, our cars just have a water temp signal that goes into the computer and the computer just turns the pump on as needed....??
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I know this is WAY off topic...but I have tried in the BMW forums and can't get any meaningful input...I'm sure this topic applies to most all new cars. Anyway...moderators can delete this if necessary.

My car is a '08 535i. The water pump is an electric driven pump motor. What tells the water pump to start pumping when the car is heating up after initial start...from cold? In the old days, the thermostat was inline, blocked the flow of water until the thermostat determined the water was hot enough, then it opened up and the water flowed.

Do the new cars use a thermostat with a mechanical valve (that can stick), or does the computer just leave the pump off until it sees the water temp raised to certain value? I'm wondering if instead of a "true" thermostat, our cars just have a water temp signal that goes into the computer and the computer just turns the pump on as needed....??

Firstly the engine coolnt water pump will allways be on when the engine is running as the coolant must circulate around the system at ll times. Secondly wheather the water pump is driven off of the crank or by an electric motor, has nothing to do with how the coolant temperature is controlled. Your 535 has a thermostat like most cars, which mixes cool water from the radiator into the hot side as necessary to keep the coolant temperature on the engine side at a desired constant level.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DME computer tells the pump to start,same with the thermostat. is all electronic controlled.
Sonny1.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Juha G
Firstly the engine coolnt water pump will allways be on when the engine is running as the coolant must circulate around the system at ll times.
My understanding...on older pre-computer cars...is that when the car was first started...the thermostat was closed...keeping the water flow OFF...allowing the engine to reach operating temp quicker. Once operating temp was reached...the thermostat opened allowing water flow...then remained open all the time. Is that not correct?

Originally Posted by Juha G
Secondly wheather the water pump is driven off of the crank or by an electric motor, has nothing to do with how the coolant temperature is controlled. Your 535 has a thermostat like most cars, which mixes cool water from the radiator into the hot side as necessary to keep the coolant temperature on the engine side at a desired constant level.
How does the themostat "mix cool water from the radiator into the hot side"? Does it open/close to allow water to flow or not flow into the hot side from the radiator? If the thermostat is opening and closing...how can the water pump run constantly...it would be pumping against a closed thermostat?

I told you I'm confused...lol...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sonny1
The DME computer tells the pump to start,same with the thermostat. is all electronic controlled.
Sonny1.
The DME controls the opening and closing of the thermostat?

Last edited by Allen; 12-30-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

My understanding...on older pre-computer cars...is that when the car was first started...the thermostat was closed...keeping the water flow OFF...allowing the engine to reach operating temp quicker. Once operating temp was reached...the thermostat opened allowing water flow...then remained open all the time. Is that not correct?

How does the themostat "mix cool water from the radiator into the hot side"? Does it open/close to allow water to flow or not flow into the hot side from the radiator? If the thermostat is opening and closing...how can the water pump run constantly...it would be pumping against a closed thermostat?

I told you I'm confused...lol...
It keeps the water circulating in the engine to warm up, then opens up the entire system when temp is reached to allow cooling. As noted before, the water pump will always run when the engine is.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Ok…I think I’m about to get it. The water pump runs any time the engine runs. When the engine is below temp XX…thermostat (TS) is closed and radiator is bypassed…getting engine up to temp quickly. When the engine exceeds temp XX…TS opens allowing water to flow through radiator which begins to cool the engine. Now the engine drops below temp XX and TS closes again…engine temp increases to exceed XX…TS opens…temp decreases…and cycle goes on like that…is that right?

Now to my specific question…which I think Sonny1 answered. The opening/closing of the thermostat…in the old days, that was a mechanical diaphram, that caused the open/close based on water temp. In todays cars…is the "thermostat" actually just an electronic valve that is opened/closed via the computer...when the computer sees the engine temp high or low?

I apologize for my confusion…I’m an Engineer and I just can’t let it go until I understand. This board is the best place I know of to get correct information…and I do appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Both your pump and thermostat are 'electronic' ..... and take their ques from the DME - the pump has a duty cycle , so does not run 100% of engine run time as do mechanical pumps.

The pump & thermostat are usually replaced as a pair, as are the mounting bolts - BMW has a love affair with aluminium bolts that are one use only.

Take a read here for a better description.

My older 535i (E34 is all mechanical, and parts are cheap - my W8 Passat has an electronic thermostat @ ~ $450 ...... technology advances with the newer 535i, where both are electronic - guess where the price goes .

Last edited by Garth S; 12-30-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I would still believe that electric pumps turn when the engine is running-just like a fuel pump, even if controlled by a computer. An engine builder is going to want to distribute/diffuse heat as evenly as possible, and flowing liquid would aid in this.

Last edited by Ed Hughes; 12-30-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

There will be a green coolant temp sensor in the coolant rail, this turns on the pump.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I would still believe that electric pumps turn when the engine is running-just like a fuel pump, even if controlled by a computer. An engine builder is going to want to distribute/diffuse heat as evenly as possible, and flowing liquid would aid in this.
The Cayenne Hybrid has an electrically-operated shield that blocks off the impeller of the mechanical water pump during the first stage of the warm-up phase. They say that there is supposed to be no flow at this stage.
If BMW is trying to get the same result (quickest warm-up for lowest emissions), they are probably not turning the electric pump on at all until a certain temperature.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Anders T.
Rennlist Member

I am going to fit an electric pump in an old Citroen B11 1951.

http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/ewp80.html

The regulator to the pump is like a thermostate and I will try to run this combo without any thermostate at all. The downside of this is that the flow will be very poor until the engine gets warmer and the pumps speed up. This will increase the time until the cupe heater gets warm.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
sonny1
Banned

Yep, completely,cheers,Sonny.

The DME controls the opening and closing of the thermostat?

Quick Reply: OT: electric water pump operation...