Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on the Alpine CDE-136BT stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Any opinions on the Alpine CDE-136BT stereo?

thinking of replacing the stock stereo in my 993 mainly to use ipod/smart phone. Not looking for anything too expensive. I have the Hi/FI sound in my car and the sound is really ok for me. Not looking to replace all the speakers or amp, just the stereo. Anyone using this Alpine? can I continue to use the old amp under the seat? Thanks.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE1...T.html?tp=5684
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Lots of people convert to a CDR-220 and use an iPod input into the AUX port. Not fancy, and you still need to use iPod/Smartphone for navigating and playing, but the port will charge.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
North Street
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer i was fortunate enough to buy a 1996 993 with the with the HI/FI Sound Option. After living with the stock stereo for about a month I said enough is enough. I went in to get a deck that had an I-Pod interface and came out with a Kenwood KDC-X996 (love it). One month later, not totally satisfied with the new sound, I added Focal speakers and an Amp. After spending more thousands than I would care to admit I have a stereo that fits the car nicely.

If you are used to listening to quality stereo sound go all in. Lastly, I have found a downside to having a great system - you have to make a tough decision each day - Listen to the natural German music or one of your own choosing....
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Scott, while I still have the stock radio in my 993, I just replaced the head unit in my Mercedes C43. I initially ordered a Blaupunkt Toronto 410 BT because all that I really wanted was Bluetooth Streaming and handsfree phone. I installed it and was very disappointed. It looked like a light show, had poor sound and the BT interface was poor. But, for $125, what was I expecting?

I then took the leap of faith on the Parrot Asteroid (poor reviews due to software quirks). I found the Asteroid (yesterday) at Frys for $199! Installed it and, sure enough, it was crashing, freezing, etc because it had an old software version. I immediately upgraded the software and am VERY impressed. It looks great in an older interior, the sound is AMAZING, and the interface is very easy to use. I will not use many of its functions - but the BT audio is simple and very clear and the handsfree calling is the best out there.

I suggest that you consider the Asteroid. After one day of use I love it. Crutchfield no longer sells them due to the software issues, but plan to re-stock when they are convinced that they are properly upgraded. A $350 HU for $199 isn't too bad.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like a great unit especially if the software bugs are worked out. To bad Fry's price is in store pickup only.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

HTML Code:
i installed an Alpine 133bt. Bluetooth worked great with my iPhone 4. When I updated to the 5 I could no longer control the unit from the radio, and the song, artist, and album no longer displayed. This is a known issue, due to updates in the iPhones ios6. It affects other brands of stereos as well. Alpine supposedly is working on a firmware fix, but no eta has been announced. They were hoping to have something by Christmas but that hasn't happened.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have that unit, but I have the older version. The streaming audio for music and pandora is excellent. The Bluetooth calling works flawlessly with my iPhone 4. However, at speed in the 993, the wind noise can overcome the mics canceling ability. People don't like talking to me when over ~45 mph. I've experimented with different mic locations, currently it's by the ashtray, which seems to be the best.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not looking for anything too expensive, i highly recommend the Sony Xplod Cdx-gt540ui Cd/mp3 Receiver with 52x4 Watt Amp. Doesn't have bluetooth, but does have AM/FM, CD, USB, Pandora, iPad/MP3 and Aux. It's highly configurable and costs $63.99 from Amazon.

It has more than sufficient power without the Nokia amp for the 993 hi-fi speaker system. A new Nokia amp is $450 and I see Rennlister pay hundreds of dollars for Becker radios.

The Sony is much better then the OE Alpine CR-1 radio [mine is 17 years old and no, the Sony doesn't look very much OE, but I didn't want to pay hundreds more just to retain the OE look], i am more interested in the sound than the OE look.

Worth consideration.

Quick Reply: Any opinions on the Alpine CDE-136BT stereo?