Sponsored by:

Now that I have a 993...what next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
simsy
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi

Congratulations on your purchase and nice looking car.

I did a fair bit of suspension work through Rothsport Racing six months ago (on my '98 C2S). I went the PSS10 route with quite a bit of RS parts (tie-rods, strut brace, motor mounts, etc) and also Walrods. The car is definitely stiff but rides like it's on rails so I'm happy with it. I've got Fister Stage IIs which are a fair balance considering I live in a neighborhood and often leave in the early morning (I think they're plenty loud).

Please let me know if you have specific questions on my set-up and I can dig up the paperwork.

Have fun!

A
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool...thanks to all the responses.

I think I am going to go with the Fister exhaust since there seems to be a lot of positive feedback on the boards...just have to determine do I go stg II or III.

Also, I saw PSS10 for about 2400. Is that the going price? If so, then I have no issue with getting them at that price.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase! How about enjoying your car as is for a while before dropping thousands on upgrades LOL Even at their age they are still pretty amazing machines bone stock.

Enjoy!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

swesna We have a kit that includes everything thing shown in the picture below. Click Here for more information and to see our pricing. Look forward to see what you do with it.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
swesna We have a kit that includes everything thing shown in the picture below. Click Here for more information and to see our pricing. Look forward to see what you do with it.

thanks for the link.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pags993
Congrats on the new purchase! How about enjoying your car as is for a while before dropping thousands on upgrades LOL Even at their age they are still pretty amazing machines bone stock.

Enjoy!!
I agree...I will enjoy it a bit prior to modding it.

One thing I can say it gets better gas mileage than my Audi RS4. That AWD tank gets about 10 mpg around town. But has some good snow tires on it just waiting for the snow to come.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm continuously amazed at this. A newbie comes in with a million ideas and advice flows. Nobody seems to ask the most important question. Why upgrade? What is it that OP wants to do with the car and what does the car lack to do so today?

Months and, literally, tens of thousands of dollars later the poor newbie ends up with cat-less car with Stage 3, rough suspension set way too low, metal floor mats, tupperware all around with assorted lunch table sized spoilers, tramlining and bump-steering due to the skinny sidewall tires... you get the picture.

Leave the car alone. Drive it. See what it is you want to do and state it honestly to yourself and others. There's plenty of great advise here. But any advise can only help if you are honest and clear with yourself regarding the intentions for this particular car.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did I miss it...or is there a good reason we don't have any pics yet...

On the less important subject...I agree that the suspension is the best first place to start your mods...chances are pretty good that the stock Monroe shocks are in need of replacement anyway. Followed closely by a Fister II.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Allen
Did I miss it...or is there a good reason we don't have any pics yet...

On the less important subject...I agree that the suspension is the best first place to start your mods...chances are pretty good that the stock Monroe shocks are in need of replacement anyway. Followed closely by a Fister II.
I added a link to the original post in this thread.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
I'm continuously amazed at this. A newbie comes in with a million ideas and advice flows. Nobody seems to ask the most important question. Why upgrade? What is it that OP wants to do with the car and what does the car lack to do so today?

Months and, literally, tens of thousands of dollars later the poor newbie ends up with cat-less car with Stage 3, rough suspension set way too low, metal floor mats, tupperware all around with assorted lunch table sized spoilers, tramlining and bump-steering due to the skinny sidewall tires... you get the picture.

Leave the car alone. Drive it. See what it is you want to do and state it honestly to yourself and others. There's plenty of great advise here. But any advise can only help if you are honest and clear with yourself regarding the intentions for this particular car.
At this point I have three cars, 08 Audi RS4, 91 964 C2 MT aka the beater and the newly aquired 97 C2 MT.

I have halted the mod game on the 08 Audi RS4 as I dont see the value in over modding the car. ie you will never get out what you put into it plus I dont think the $/hp ratio is worth it. Got this one 09/2011.

I might be selling my 964 to someone if that happens then I will do some mods to the 993. I dont think the PSS10/Springs and Fister Stg II are too over the top and the Fister mod is easy to revert back. I bought the 993 bc it was better than having my money sitting in the bank, got it last week Dec. 2012.

If I dont sell the 964...them I will hold off on the 993 and pretty much drop the engine out of the beater and get busy. The beater is decent but has a good amt of oil leaks that I want to repair, plus give it a tune up and do some powder coating. This was suppose to be my DE/Street car which I bought in Oct 2012.

Thanks,
Steve aka Newbie
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

regardless of mileage, age alone dictates that the stock suspension is in need of replacement.

I have the H&R SS set up on my 4S-a complete coilover setup(strut's & springs w/helpers) with H&R sways front and rear. The front struts have monoballs also...This is a very popular it seems in the NJ area, my car was serviced at Protosport by the PO.

I would definately research this setup
coilover kit #RSS1590AA, sway # 71953. Now this is for a C4S, the awd and WB might make a difference.

so..suspension of your choosing
DEFINATELY walrod front control arm bushings
consider new motor mounts too. Even if your's are not broken or sagging, new RS or Wevo mounts will tighten up the car.
Proper alignment and corner balance after is a must also.

Where does the car sit regarding the upcoming 60K service? You should consider getting the dizzy belt replaced along with all the other 60K stuff.

I vote Stage lll's, or maybe Stage l's and the 200 cell cat.

Welcome aboard
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
regardless of mileage, age alone dictates that the stock suspension is in need of replacement.

I have the H&R SS set up on my 4S-a complete coilover setup(strut's & springs w/helpers) with H&R sways front and rear. The front struts have monoballs also...This is a very popular it seems in the NJ area, my car was serviced at Protosport by the PO.

I would definately research this setup
coilover kit #RSS1590AA, sway # 71953. Now this is for a C4S, the awd and WB might make a difference.

so..suspension of your choosing
DEFINATELY walrod front control arm bushings
consider new motor mounts too. Even if your's are not broken or sagging, new RS or Wevo mounts will tighten up the car.
Proper alignment and corner balance after is a must also.

Where does the car sit regarding the upcoming 60K service? You should consider getting the dizzy belt replaced along with all the other 60K stuff.

I vote Stage lll's, or maybe Stage l's and the 200 cell cat.

Welcome aboard
I agree with you 100% regarding suspension and age of car. My car has some squeaks when driving that are somewhat annoying and get in the way of that air cooled sounds.

Thank you very much.
Steve
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

On place has the H&R SS for $2,537

and the PSS10 for $2,340

what is the general consensus on which is better?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
On place has the H&R SS for $2,537

and the PSS10 for $2,340

what is the general consensus on which is better?
FYI...the H&R's are Bilstein HD's custom valved(according to H&R)to match spring rates, yada, yada, yada

I've never tried the PSS10, so nothing to compare too.

In my case, I would have no reason, or desire to make multiple little fidigity adjustments front to rear for dampening. Tire pressure changes, tire wear, and road conditions add enough into the mix for my feeble little brain to handle.

That being said, this set-up is spot on for me...my car rides very nice-better than my wife's 2012 Mini Countryman with those damn run-flats...maybe even as good with the winter wheelset on the Mini too. I do have some slight bump steer, but nothing too excessive. A future mod for me is definately RS parts to correct that...got it all written down somewhere.

As far as a comparison, lots of PSS9 & 10 owners on here, not many H&R owners IIRC.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Magdaddy.

Quick Reply: Now that I have a 993...what next?