Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that I have a 993...what next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that I have a 993...what next?

Can to be modded:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6416866...7632189583684/

I am thinking of the following groups of mods: exhaust, suspension, performance chip and wheels...not sure if i need to with a brake upgrade yet...steering wheel might be nice though.

What are the proven/standard upgrades most do in these areas and in other areas that I may not have thought about...what are the products and cost.

Also, what order would you perform the upgrades...I am thinking suspension related first because the car is squeaking a little when I hit bumps.

Exhaust
Fister Stage II or III

Suspension -- what else (springs/bushings etc) or should I consider something diff than PSS10?
Bilstein B16 (PSS10) Performance Suspension System
What do these coilovers normally sell for?

Performance Chip??

OZ Wheels -- 18 inch.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by swesna; 12-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PSS10s good but there are other cheaper options Walrod bushings are good too. A good alignment can transform the handling and feel of your car.
Suspension is the best place to start for sure, no matter what you do.
II or III Fisters are a choice...people like both...III pretty loud on the outside but the IIs are perfect for any situation, IMO.

How far you want to go depends on your will and your $ situation
There is no standard, just good choices.

Things that I have done with NO regrets are all listed in my signature below. The lightweigt flywheel and clutch in particular, along with the goldenrod and ShortShift Kit from FD Motorsports.

Good luck and would love to see pictures of your car...you will get many more responses if we can see your car!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Twin Screw
Instructor

Exhaust....Fabspeed is in your hood man.....give them a shot.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

If you don't DE or AX, I wouldn't spend $$$ on PSS10. I have Bilstein HDs/M030 or you can do H&R.
I find Stage 3s just perfect, not loud at all. The crackles and pops make me grin ear to ear every time.
Then the list goes on and on.........
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As ABCar said,FDM Short Shift Kit/Goldenrod is a worthwhile upgrade. Also,think about a 200 Cell sport cat from FDM or Fabspeed....I've been thinking more about this upgrade as certainly it will give you improved sound,but you'd also be replacing a heavier,likely clogged/semi-clogged OEM cat that is a big heat source as well.

As for suspension, a popular one is Bilstein HD with M030 (ROW) or M033 (ROW) springs. Both springs will lower the car but the 033s are progressive springs that are firmer than your OEM Monroe's (if that's what you have now). The 033s will keep the same ride as OEM. FDM carries this package. Koni FSDs are popular too instead of the HDs but the HDs have some height adjustability that the FSDs don't.

The slippery slope is slippery!

Chris
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Four replies and no request for pics? You guys are slipping - swesna we need pics

I agree that suspension should be at the top of your short list. Depending on funds and what you intend to use the car for in the future, you might also look at the KW3's. If street is all you intend or even AX, then I would agree on the Bilstein HD setups mentioned above.

I have the Fabspeed Supercups on one car and the Fister Stage III's on the other. I like them both, but I would go for the III's on both if I knew what I know today back when I did the supercups.

The FDM SSK/Goldenrod is on my short list. I do not have them yet but I salivate everytime I read a post from someone saying how great it is.

What year car is yours? Did I mention we need pics? I am sure I will be corrected if I get this wrong, but I think the '95's had a removable chip, while later cars do not. This makes it easier to get a performance chip for the early cars, while I believe you have to ship your entire "brain" from the later cars and have it reprogrammed. You might want to do a little research on this or possibly someone who knows more than me can chime in.

Putting 18's on is pretty common and they look good, but if you have a '95 you need a steering rack mod - I think it is just a reinforcement but do a search and you will find several threads. If you have a later car then no mod is necessary.

Good luck
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
If you don't DE or AX, I wouldn't spend $$$ on PSS10. I have Bilstein HDs/M030 or you can do H&R.
I find Stage 3s just perfect, not loud at all. The crackles and pops make me grin ear to ear every time.
Then the list goes on and on.........
Even if you do A?X or DE I don' understand the attraction of PSS9/10 the spring rates are so low that they are just a glorified street performance suspension the at the owner is allowed to set multiple inappropriate shock settings for, it's been extremely hard getting rates for them and if the #s I have are correct they are screwy as hel*
RoW M030 are 150/166 front and 225/286 rear these are great shocks w/ Bilstin hd(better w/ custom valving) this is a great street setup

PSS0 225/250 front and 400/685 rear

for track you want something like 600//800 but then you would want to use the beefier Bilstein or H&R Cup shocks and definitely revalved

For street use I'd want RS sport rubber bushes all around for track mono-***** all around though the sport rubber works great too
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twin Screw
Exhaust....Fabspeed is in your hood man.....give them a shot.
Is Fabspeed any good? The guy in the videos annoys me a bit.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Sounds like suspension is first...coil overs and bushing.

What are you guys seeing as the cost of PSS10s for our cars?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:13 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 234 Posts

Don't do H&R's...I'm running them and they are way too stiff.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Don't do H&R's...I'm running them and they are way too stiff.
The issue w/ any of the standard off the shelf shocks that were engineered in the dark ages of suspension design is the valving.

I'm not sure what H&Rs you have but if they are the Cups or HD they come w/ linear valving and god only knows what springs they are tuned for.

Get your shocks rebuilt w/ digressive valves for your specific springs and use and you will be amazed at the transformation.

The PSS9/10 at least come w/ digressive valves, or at least that is what I have been told, there is still the issue of which setting is best for your car, there can be only 1 w/ the others being off by varying degrees
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default PSS 10

"Even if you do A?X or DE I don' understand the attraction of PSS9/10 the spring rates are so low that they are just a glorified street performance suspension the at the owner is allowed to set multiple inappropriate shock settings for, it's been extremely hard getting rates for them and if the #s I have are correct they are screwy as hel*"

I have been led to believe that the PSS 9s are 250 front, 450 rear..But these are progressive springs, NOT linear, so this is an approximation. I have been running PSS9s on the track for many tears. I run them full stiff in the rear, 2 clicks off of full stiff in the front. They have been re-built from Bilstein 1X.

I may re-spring them and re-valve them soon. My new race class allows me to do this, GT5 with the Porsche Owners Club in Cali. However, I may just bite the bullet and go to something more radical from Bilstein...maybe 500/700 springs....or 600/800...my suspension advisors will make the final call. "Cup Car" will lead me to the suspension promised land...advice from Bill is always 1st class too...Steve Weiner always has great ideas too.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
Is Fabspeed any good? The guy in the videos annoys me a bit.
my car came with fabspeed exhaust and it sounds awesome. I love it.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
killsbugsfast
Rennlist Member

Congrats!!! - and the best color to boot!

1st - Suspension, wheels
Drive it a while - then exhaust etc etc etc as you deem necessary
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"Even if you do A?X or DE I don' understand the attraction of PSS9/10 the spring rates are so low that they are just a glorified street performance suspension the at the owner is allowed to set multiple inappropriate shock settings for, it's been extremely hard getting rates for them and if the #s I have are correct they are screwy as hel*"

I have been led to believe that the PSS 9s are 250 front, 450 rear..But these are progressive springs, NOT linear, so this is an approximation. I have been running PSS9s on the track for many tears. I run them full stiff in the rear, 2 clicks off of full stiff in the front. They have been re-built from Bilstein 1X.

I may re-spring them and re-valve them soon. My new race class allows me to do this, GT5 with the Porsche Owners Club in Cali. However, I may just bite the bullet and go to something more radical from Bilstein...maybe 500/700 springs....or 600/800...my suspension advisors will make the final call. "Cup Car" will lead me to the suspension promised land...advice from Bill is always 1st class too...Steve Weiner always has great ideas too.
I use 600/750 linear, for track use dual rate leaves a bit to be desired as you get 2 different sets in a given corner, Cups used 600/800. anything else is too soft, w/ the right shock valving these are even streetable to many of us and as always RS adjustable sways are recommended

Quick Reply: Now that I have a 993...what next?