Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for my first 993... thoughts on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 AM
sambeckett78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for my first 993... thoughts on this one?

http://www.mohrimports.com/view_inve...php?car_id=494

biggest drawback on the vehicle is that there is no documentation of receipts, service records, no manual, etc.

i'm having a local dealer do a pre-buyer's inspection.

i'm thinking about making a flight to check this car out, but i thought i'd ask you guys first b/c i'm sure many of you have seen dozens (or more) of 993s and are far more experienced than me in terms of what to look for.

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

I wouldn't have a dealer do a PPI on a 993. If Mohr will let you I would do the PPI at Tim Benson's Fastlane Porsche Repair in Santa Cruz.

I have been to Mohr Imports a few times. They seem like nice guys but I have never seen a car there that was in a condition I would think about buying. This one does look nice in pictures though.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with no PPI at the dealer. I sent a 993TT to a Porsche dealer and asked for a full PPI with a Leakdown test and they told me that all cylinders were 0%.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Dukerdog
Racer

I just went through the same process and bought a stock 96 with similar miles but without the aero kit and speedlines. I agree with no PPI at a Porsche dealer. Get an indy mechanic that works on air cooled everyday. No records would be a real concern for me. The paint doesn't appear to be in great condition, check out both rear fenders and along the rain gutters and there is lots of road rash. Also, the radio is aftermarket. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Good luck with whatever you decide. Where would you be flying in from? Maybe you could get someone in the area to do a Rennfax for you.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Factor in some cash to R&R that driver's seat-it sure looks like more use than the miles on the car, the rest of the interior may look old too.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny, I jog by there whenever I'm in Monterrey. They have lots of interesting cars.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If you search the forums here and other sites you will find it is difficult to get a recommendation for an indie in the Monterrey. David Loop use to have a highly regarded shop known for working on air cool Porsches but closed and went to work for Seaside Porsche. You might call and see if he is still there AND if they will do a complete PPI. Highly unlikely they will drive the car up to Santa Cruz, or beyond, for an inspection.

You should also get someone to evaluate the body and go over the car with a paint meter.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
sambeckett78
Intermediate

thanks for all the feedback. still on my search for the right 993. trying to be patient...

Quick Reply: looking for my first 993... thoughts on this one?