Sponsored by:

Finicky Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Finicky Oil Pressure Gauge

For the past few months my oil pressure gauge has been acting up and I'm hoping someone out there can help. Most of the time it seems to work fine; high pressure at load and at the bottom of the gauge at idle. But, it also just stops working momentarily now and then and in the blink of an eye it will jump back on and give a proper reading. The weird thing is that if I lightly tap on the gauge with my finger it jumps back to life. Sounds like a failing electrical connection to me, but who knows...I'm thinking of pulling the gauge, wiggling the wires to check the connections and reinstalling. Anybody out there have this issue and solve it? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

Nick, the way the wires are connected, thats unlikely, but worth checking.

Remove the gauge, lightly clean the gauge contacts with some fine emory cloth or even an eraser. Check the wiring connector to make sure none of the wires have pulled out of the fitting.

If none of this works, you may need to send the gauge to North Hollywood Speedo or Palo Alto speedo to fix the gauge mechanism. I needed my gauge mechanism/movement replaced, but it works great. now.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick,

If you would find it useful in your troubleshooting you are welcome to borrow my gauge to isolate the issue. It has to be one of three things though, connection issue, gauge issue or pressure unit. Sometimes those wires back in the engine bay can get brittle or the wire sheeting can crack off so don't discount looking at that.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

thanks guys; it seems most likely to be something to do with he gauge and/or it connections rather than the pressure unit or wires in the engine bay because of the way it pops back on with a finger flick to the glass. Wierd. I'll try cleaning the contacts and if that doesn't work I'll roll down the hill to your man cave Adam.

Also getting ready for the clutch/flywheel replacement in January; I'm discussing that long, painful list of "while your in there's" with my shop.

Nick
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

"Most of the time it seems to work fine; high pressure at load and at the bottom of the gauge at idle"

bottom of the gauge at idle is not OK. the needle should just be above horizontal at idle. time for a new gauge.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

I misspoke; at idle the needle is horizontal.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll be interested to see what you end up with on your to-do list Nick. I was planning on pulling mine month, but with work being so crazy, and mostly our move taking priority-it gets pushed back. Not, that it had to happen now, but I know the clutch is closing in on the end of its life.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Ed- any interest in a run to Cars & Coffee this Saturday? Good way to discuss our "to do's" and see the crowd. I'm getting Wayne Baker's shop to give me an estimate to drop my engine and help me get it home on an engine stand so I can work on some of it. Of course I'd be asking for some help from the local 993 DIY wrench trust...you guys know who you are !!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickyP
Ed- any interest in a run to Cars & Coffee this Saturday? Good way to discuss our "to do's" and see the crowd. I'm getting Wayne Baker's shop to give me an estimate to drop my engine and help me get it home on an engine stand so I can work on some of it. Of course I'd be asking for some help from the local 993 DIY wrench trust...you guys know who you are !!
Hi Nick, indeed there is.....as it turns out, I "braved" the cool temps and breezes late yesterday afternoon to finally wash Sapphire-so she's ready, and as it turns out, C&C is now just a few miles UP the road from me, instead of 20 miles WEST.

I'm probably going to drop by RSF Secret Car Club after, as that is only about 7 minutes away now.

PS-I hung on to my stand and mounting yoke, if you need to borrow...
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
C&C Irvine or Carlsbad?
Irvine sounds appealing.

Are you sticking with standard weight FW?

Craig
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
C&C Irvine or Carlsbad?
Irvine sounds appealing.

Craig
It's PCA day in Carlsbad tomorrow. I can't burn the time for Irvine, I've still got stuff to do in the new house this weekend.

Pending weather next Saturday 12/29, I may be interested in Irvine then.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
C&C Irvine or Carlsbad?
Irvine sounds appealing.

Craig
Irvine for me. I haven't visited with my early 911 friends in a while so I'm overdue. Another buddy with a 71 Targa and a 993 is also going; not sure which car he will drive though. I'll take the 993 tomorrow as its a bit cleaner than Frenchy.

I haven't decided on DMF vrs. LWF yet. I need to drive Adam's car to experience the LWF to see. There is quite a divergence in opinion on this subject and I'm going back and forth.

Ed- Glad you are closer to the action, and sorry to miss you this weekend. Plenty of C&C's to come in Irvine in 2013. Great news about thestand and yoke, I'll take you up on that if I get that ambitious. I'd really like to do some of the typical items on my own; they really dont seem all that difficult.

Nick

Quick Reply: Finicky Oil Pressure Gauge