993 Forum 1995-1998

MaxJax Install - Placement - Installation - Custom Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 12:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Are you MaxJax users still satisfied with your lift?
Totally!

I installed my MaxJax just over 7 years ago and no issues yet considering a 3000+ pound car has been on it most of the time. As for the clowns on the Garage Journal who claimed to be in the concrete business and said it would fail, I have one question for them, "where is Jimmy Hoffa". LOL

I guess if I had a 40' x 40' garage with a 16' ceiling, I'd have a Mohawk Asymmetric lift.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:53 PM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had one for a couple of years and never an issue, I leave it in place and almost never move it. I have a rolling chair that allows me to roll around underneath it and I also go the shorter then normal Dannmar oil pan/tank and all works well. I check the bolts with a torque wrench almost every time I use it just to make sure but they are almost always tight.

I used the anchors that came with it and no problems with them. After reading about all the installations here and garage journal I was prepared to get epoxy anchors if needed but didn't see the need after drilling everything and putting them in. FYI rent or get a nice concrete rotary hammer drill from Bosch or others and drilling the holes was fairly easy. I was just worried about hitting the in-floor heat tubes in my slab the entire time - I used a thermal camera and heat and water many times to confirm tube locations but still made me nervous when drilling.

I also bought longer hoses and routed one side up over the ceiling of the garage, and the other goes along the wall to the tank up near the front of the car - to avoid having the hoses in the way when working.

I have also used it to change the oil and brakes in a Toyota Highlander and my old Chevrolet 1500 truck, both of which are just under the 6k weight limit and no issues except I can't go all the way up to the second stopping lock-off since my ceiling is too low with those taller vehicles. I am tempted to drill another set of stops in the metal but haven't done so, I know some posts on garage journal mentioned doing this.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:14 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Evaluating getting one of the new ALI certified MaxJax lifts (they seem to be on pre-order as of Aug 2020?). However, in researching portable/movable 2-post lifts, the other lift that came up often was the Triumph/National Auto C7000, which is supposedly movable and is "full height", lifting to 72" with a max lift weight of 7000 lbs (vs 6000 for the maxjax). There seems to have been some legal back and forth with MaxJax and National Auto that resulted in the C7000 having to remove the wheels from the towers (apparently portable 2post lift towers are trademarked by maxjax), so portability could be questionable - however, given each c7000 tower weighs 400 lbs , not sure the wheels make or break it - you'd likely need to use a dolly anyway.

Wondering if anyone else evaluated both the MaxJax and C7000 lifts? Obviously the optionality for more height would be great, however, dealing with National Auto if things go wrong seems to be hit or miss whereas MaxJax seems to be quite responsive? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://nationalautotools.com/produc...post-auto-lift

The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 AM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wangta
Evaluating getting one of the new ALI certified MaxJax lifts (they seem to be on pre-order as of Aug 2020?). However, in researching portable/movable 2-post lifts, the other lift that came up often was the Triumph/National Auto C7000, which is supposedly movable and is "full height", lifting to 72" with a max lift weight of 7000 lbs (vs 6000 for the maxjax). There seems to have been some legal back and forth with MaxJax and National Auto that resulted in the C7000 having to remove the wheels from the towers (apparently portable 2post lift towers are trademarked by maxjax), so portability could be questionable - however, given each c7000 tower weighs 400 lbs , not sure the wheels make or break it - you'd likely need to use a dolly anyway.

Wondering if anyone else evaluated both the MaxJax and C7000 lifts? Obviously the optionality for more height would be great, however, dealing with National Auto if things go wrong seems to be hit or miss whereas MaxJax seems to be quite responsive? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought that the whole point of the maxjax was that you install it when you don't have the height? The fantasy of portability is just that. Almost no one who actually uses it ever actually takes it down.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nrubenstein
I thought that the whole point of the maxjax was that you install it when you don't have the height? The fantasy of portability is just that. Almost no one who actually uses it ever actually takes it down.
Good point. I think the c7000 towers are only 8 feet so still fits in lower ceiling garages. In my case - I’ll likely move them as I don’t have a ton of space but have plenty of vertical height.
M. Schneider (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 04:41 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default National Auto Tools, 2-post full height car lift

Wangta -
I went the National Auto Tools full-height 2-post lift over the similar 50 inches - height MaxJax. .. Both lift companies lift styles use an equalization pump - hydraulic piston scheme.
The National lift has been flawless since installation, 2016. Nothing but good things to say regarding the lift. .. With 118" or 11' 6" tall ceiling height the 993 and our other cars are a breeze to work on.

Cheers,

Edit / Delete

Old 08-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Wangta -
I went the National Auto Tools full-height 2-post lift over the similar 50 inches - height MaxJax. .. Both lift companies lift styles use an equalization pump - hydraulic piston scheme.
The National lift has been flawless since installation, 2016. Nothing but good things to say regarding the lift. .. With 118" or 11' 6" tall ceiling height the 993 and our other cars are a breeze to work on.

Cheers,
thanks Schneider - that’s the way I’m leaning too. Do you find yourself actually using the extra height? And do have you tried to move the towers? Last - there seems to be some confusion on other threads - does it actually lift to 72”?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:01 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Critical Path: Garage car lift concrete foundation

IXLR8 -
Cannot thank you enough for posting your residential garage car lift consideration and preparation. .. A big ole Danke Schon!

I have a 40ft x 36ft x 11ft 6in garage w/ three 9ft doors. .. Agreed. When my ship comes in the luxurious Mohawk Asymmetric lift will replace my current lift...
Mohawk lift = bring money. https://mohawklifts.com

Cheers, Mike

Originally Posted by IXLR8

I guess if I had a 40' x 40' garage with a 16' ceiling, I'd have a Mohawk Asymmetric lift.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:13 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks Schneider - that’s the way I’m leaning too. Do you find yourself actually using the extra height? And do have you tried to move the towers? Last - there seems to be some confusion on other threads - does it actually lift to 72”?
Wangta -
Yes regarding the extra lift height over the shorter MaxJac 50 inches or so. .. The 993 C2S is on the National Full-height lift as we speak, resting at 62 inches with the lift safety stops engaged, garage floor to bottom of 993 chassis, where I'm sitting on a roller seat working on the suspension. With only 11ft 6 inches in ceiling height, there is only so much usable height - but I would miss the extra height by the MaxJac 50 inch limitation. .. However, one's garage ceiling height drives the discussion . . .
Old 08-30-2020, 05:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

The fantasy of portability is just that. Almost no one who actually uses it ever actually takes it down.
As for "fantasy", you leave the one closest to the wall permanently installed (not that you cannot move it) and the one in the center of the garage you move out of the way if you so choose to free-up the center of the garage.

As for a "full height" lift, I guess if you are 5 1/2' tall. If you are 6', you'll be running your head into things. These are consumer lifts, nothing like a commercial lift for lift height.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I have a 40ft x 36ft x 11ft 6in garage w/ three 9ft doors. .. Agreed. When my ship comes in the luxurious Mohawk Asymmetric lift will replace my current lift...
Mohawk lift = bring money.

Cheers, Mike
Good choice and it is made in the US.

I do not need a bigger house. I need a bigger garage.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:14 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I too agree Height is the major factor in my purchase, but as a "no one" data point I move mine at least twice a year, as space was the other factor in buying a (one person) portable unit. It takes under 5-minutes to unplug, un-bolt, roll to a wall. YMWV.

Last edited by Kein_Ersatz; 08-31-2020 at 09:15 AM.
IXLR8 (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: MaxJax Install - Placement - Installation - Custom Install