Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber dash kit - help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbon fiber dash kit - help

Question: Why are these so inexpensive relative to original option prices? Are they poor quality? Or, is it just manufacturing process 15 years later?

Anyone purchase and install these?

http://www.carid.com/1997-porsche-91...m-1457150.html

http://www.directcartrim.com/servlet...,Carbon/Detail
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones you linked are "stick on" pieces. The OEM carbon fiber ones are full replacements of the plastic pieces.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aarrow

The ones you linked are "stick on" pieces.
+1 ^^
Originally Posted by 600RR

Anyone purchase and install these?
Sid-- Similar set detailed in John's "Pics of My Carbon Fiber Dash Install" thread on the 964 Forum:
Originally Posted by JJJMCD

I've been thinking about adding a carbon fiber dash kit to my C2 cab for a while and looked into the options, which seemed to consist of: (i) the Porsche factory pieces from Gert (upwards of $1,200 for all of the dash pieces); (ii) pieces from Marcus Beuhler in Germany, who apparently was an OEM supplier to Porsche (a little cheaper than Gert but not by much); and (iii) the junky stickers (NOT real carbon fiber) from Cup Sport on ebay (~$120 but not a real option since it's not real cf). I then stumbled across ebay seller "auto_stil"

This got me thinking - $150 for a complete set of REAL carbon fiber? Could it be? The upside was that it looked like real carbon fiber; the downside was that there were no pictures of the actual pieces for a 911. However, since they seemed to do A LOT of kits for a broad variety of cars, I thought that it could be reasonably good quality. I decided to give it a shot, thinking that if it turned out to be junk, I would just return it and call it lesson learned.

To my surprise, the pieces turned out to be quite good quality; good enough that I decided to have them installed by my mechanic (since you need to pop out the gauges and remove the fog light and defroster ***** to do the install, I thought it best to leave it to the professionals - it took them around 2 hours). The following are the pics. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the ebay seller - I'm a corporate lawyer in DC - I just wanted to pass along this information in case anyone else is looking to do a CF dash on a budget.

I'm very pleased with how it came out. Although they're admittedly "stick-on" pieces, not the structural Porsche factory pieces, the quality is so good that it made it impossible for me to justify spending 10 times as much on Porsche factory pieces. An added bonus was that this kit came with a CF piece for the AC control unit, which doesn't come with the factory kit. In addition to the pieces pictured below, this kit came with pieces for 993 doors (which didn't fit my 964) and a parking brake surround piece, which I didn't install because it didn't include the cup-shaped part below the handle. One quirk was that, because the kit is designed for a Euro non-airbag dash with the glovebox lid in the center part of the dash (rather than in the lower dash on US airbag equipped cars), the top-right piece had a hole for the glovebox lid ****, which needed to be plugged. The plug that came with the kit was a little too large, so we needed to trim it down. You can see the plug in some of the pics. I'm looking for a metal Porsche emblem like the ones for the steering wheel to cover up the plug.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree the factory stuff is stupid expensive. Even the other kits out there are not cheap.

I say get it, install it, and let us know how it looks.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber dash kit - help