993 Forum 1995-1998

My little custom shift knob project

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it comes down to one's tastes / priorities

I'd enjoy more weight to the throws, but not enjoy it enough to go w/ a questionable look - but that's me. The stub-look did crack me up pretty good. Much better raised. Not feeling the big monoball brushed look tho. Again, feels great / looks questionable for me.

I too agree about introducing another texture (and color?) with the boot, starts getting somewhat busy

not sure I'm seeing the yellow tie-in either w/ the stitching - I guess I get yellow against blue, but for me it'd have to tie in somewhere else like belts (not suggesting) or calipers or other subtlety - just my thought

regardless, whatever works for you - enjoy

I do love the smooth feel of my Rootwood ****... feels great

Them 917 ***** look superb... 2 of my idiotfriends make those 8-)... PM me for contact info should anyone be interested, they are fantastically made (and decidedly not balsa, you're right toooooooo liiiiiiiiiight)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

You can use the stock boot with the Rennline **** by cutting off the top inch or so of leather and removing the rubber ****. I have a perfectly intact stock **** and gaiter if I ever wanted to switch back ... but I doubt I ever would! The Rennline **** feels amazing and I personally enjoy the way it looks. My arms are really long, so I keep it in the lower position and it feels better to me. I think it looks appropriate and not "ricer" at all, but looks are in the eye of the beholder. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I chose the brushed aluminum look.

Here are instructions for using a stock gaiter:
http://www.rennline.com/PDF/I14install.pdf
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I've had this Momo ****, it's called Anatomico. Were available in short and long version. Not my thing. Of probably 100+ different ***** I've tried in my cars over the last 20 years I'm firmly in "simple and round" club. Nothing else feels right to me.

As far as yellow, it ties in with two subtle things on the car. One is my steering wheel which has yellow stitching. The other is the bloody car itself It's yellow. I did this boot with yellow stitching for the prototype just to see what it would look like. Most likely I'd chose black for productions. As far as leather - my C2S shifter was black and so is my brake handle, steering wheel, etc. The leather texture is fairly invisible in the car (much more pronounced on the pics). But I'm sure I can ask Redline to chose a smoother black or charcoal grey leather.

Finally, cutting the old boot apart is a fine solution if the boot is in good shape. Money-wise it's cheaper to go with new leather boot and just sell the stock **** with its boot intact.

One more update. It was in low 40s today. The **** did not feel particularly cold at the first touch waaay after sunset. Tomorrow will be in the 30s so it'll be a better test.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

d'oh - your avatar car pic is BLUE, sooooo...

gotchya

dayum - yer a **** junkie!

How about trying some Audi *****?

They've got the same 6spd pattern and offer many (many) different anatomicly awesome roundish type ***** - I loved my alcantara //S6 Plus 6spd ****... very highly / tastefully finished with a chrome 'bezel' ring and a clear 'window' over the shift map - look 'em up.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I spent 2003 working for Audi - tried enough of their ***** too Don't like any extra lines or material changes on the ****. It should be either wood, all leather or metal in order of preference.

PS. Avatar's not blue either
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My MINI has a big ball shaped shifter as well, but it's got material and shape changes, as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 AM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Originally Posted by nile13
Could you shoot a pic of your Voodoo in a 993? How did you manage to attach it to the shifter rod?
I cut off the stock RS shifter lever and replaced it with some round stock I had around the shop. Matched the thread pitch on the voodoo **** and tapped the top of the new round stock, I then welded the round stock onto the existing RS shifter lever and now the voodoo **** screws right on. I cut the boot off the stock **** and had my GF sew up the top a little and then slipped it over the top of the new shifter and its good to go!

Shifter might be lower than you'd like but you could always weld a longer piece of round stock on and my the height taller. I like it the height I've got it, made my throws just a touch shorter...

Russ
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russ, this is _exactly_ the result I'm after. Only I need to do an adapter without welding.

Is this Magnum or standard Voodoo? Also, there is a little skirt/ring available that would sit atop the boot:

I have one in my Miata, it gives a very nice finished look. Not sure if it's still available though.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

It is the standard voodoo **** in titanium, my brother bought the same exact one for his 94' RX7...The titanium has nice heft and gives the shifter great feel now.

Thanks for the tip on the collar ring, I will have to look into that

Russ
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Looks great!

Looks great! An alternative to taking apart the console is to construct a boot from leather sourced from eBay with a wire hoop base made from coat hanger wire that spring fits in the well over the existing boot, Can be a kitchen table job. See attached.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it looks like TWM finally makes a Porsche fitment for their shift ***** (I have had my eye on a graphite Abrams **** with a shift pattern). But they only have Boxster/996/997/Cayman fitments and have told me they are not 100% certain they will fit on a 993 as have not had one in yet.

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...ift-*****.html

Has anyone here installed one of their "996/997" shifters on their car?

TIA!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, the **** that fits 996 should fit a 993. I'd ask them what attachment method they use.

You'll still need to figure out the shifter boot. And... these are pretty expensive, all things considered.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP's replacement ***** looks like a piece of ****** stuck on top of a pile of ******.

By the way, has the site stopped changing the "rude" words to *****, so now we have to do it ourselves?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts
Wink XC8........

This is my personal favorite !
Factory option on my '92, it feels just right.
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
I think the OP's replacement ***** looks like a piece of ****** stuck on top of a pile of ******.

By the way, has the site stopped changing the "rude" words to *****, so now we have to do it ourselves?
Come on, say what you really think...............

Quick Reply: My little custom shift knob project