Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My little custom shift knob project

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone fitted a TWM - they're temp resistant (not metal outside) but nice and heavy - experience anyone?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1

My MINI has a big ball shaped shifter as well, but it's got material and shape changes, as well.
I drove a Mini Cooper for a week in Spain this summer. Yep, very nice round shifter. But a bit too big for my hand.

I'm also experimenting with a new (to me) NC Miata now. Installed a leather Razo RA128. Nice, but a bit small, it seems.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
Anyone fitted a TWM - they're temp resistant (not metal outside) but nice and heavy - experience anyone?
I believe they are metal outside. Only their "Hybrid" ***** are not metal on top, but they are also lighter. I assume it's delrin top and stainless bottom on those. They look a bit odd/cheap to me, personally.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What about the Carnewal 993 aluminum **** and boot, Mike? TechArt had something similar and I liked the feel of it back when I drove one.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vic, I believe it's very light, which is something I want to avoid.

I actually like my Rennline **** and Redline boot quite a lot. Certainly better than OEM leather/silver ball they've replaced. Not sure yet if that's what I'll be keeping, but so far it feels pretty good.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
What about the Carnewal 993 aluminum **** and boot, Mike? TechArt had something similar and I liked the feel of it back when I drove one.

Very similar..........see the wording on the front?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, going back to the short shift lever for a moment, is it installed correctly? I ask because of how low it appears in your pics. You may very well know this but there are two location positions in the center tunnel for the shift linkage. The short shift lever should be mounted using the upper position/pivot so that the linkage down below clears the center tunnel cover. I've seen guys install the short shift linkage in the lower position and then wonder why the linkage rubs on the tunnel cover. Even saw guys cutting the rubber dust cover and hammering out the tunnel cover to get clearance.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Mike, going back to the short shift lever for a moment, is it installed correctly? I ask because of how low it appears in your pics. You may very well know this but there are two location positions in the center tunnel for the shift linkage. The short shift lever should be mounted using the upper position/pivot so that the linkage down below clears the center tunnel cover. I've seen guys install the short shift linkage in the lower position and then wonder why the linkage rubs on the tunnel cover. Even saw guys cutting the rubber dust cover and hammering out the tunnel cover to get clearance.
On 4WD cars you cant swap the bracket over, hence you can only use the lower fixing and have to dimple the undertray
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Roger, yep, I've had this issue with RS short shifter on my previous 993 until the tube was flipped. On this one, with Weltmeister short shifter and FD Golden road we did the right things while installing it with Andreas - both of us remembered that the tube needs to be in the upper position. So there's no rubbing on anything in the current car.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
Roger, yep, I've had this issue with RS short shifter on my previous 993 until the tube was flipped. On this one, with Weltmeister short shifter and FD Golden road we did the right things while installing it with Andreas - both of us remembered that the tube needs to be in the upper position. So there's no rubbing on anything in the current car.
Figured you probably knew. When I put in my factory ss kit I ended up actually shortening the lever a little because the upper position raised it more than I wanted.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
Nice^
what you said makes sense about weight
as much as I like the 917 shift ****, i'd really like something that looked like this...
anyone found these with the right shift pattern yet?

Quick Reply: My little custom shift knob project