993 Forum 1995-1998

993 involved in a flood - need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by adnanm3
unfortunately this was just a summer car and uninsured at the time. Insurance buyback is not an option

I will try my best to get it fixed at this point.
You left a $30k car uninsured??? And you're the original owner!!!

I hope this is because your financial means is beyond imagination.

Maybe goofballdeluxe does know something I don't.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
adnanm3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it was uninsured...it sits in the garage for 7-8 months out of the year under a car cover. I really wasn't expecting this...
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

unfortunately this was just a summer car and uninsured at the time. Insurance buyback is not an option

Oh man, that's rough.

Well, you've got your work cut out for you in that case. I wish you lots of luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you decide you want to sell it, please send me a PM. I love projects.

Best of luck,
Joe

Last edited by JM993; 12-08-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Well. Does the car start now? If it does, leave it alone and replace things as they break down. Make sure you take the seats out, take all the carpets out and dry as much of the underneath foam as you can (easier said than done). Wash the exposed metal in the trunk. Depending on where you are you might have gotten mostly fresh water in the car so it's not as bad. For assorted electronic controllers eBay is your friend. Just be aware of the fact that there 3 different ECUs and 2 different door lock boxes fro '95. They are not really compatible with each other, make sure you are buying _exact_ part numbers.

As far as insurance, I believe NYS allows comprehensive-only insurance on stored cars. Cheap and easy. I wish MA allowed that.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

My heart goes out to the owner and I wouldn't wish this on any 993.

That said, I hope it is declared a salvage car. Anything else would be fraud. I can't imagine the nightmare for any future unsuspecting owner.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad that nothing worse happened.

I cannot speak for whether or not the car is drivable still. I've read there are tiny areas the saltwater can get into.

If you do want to save the car, I would remove the interior immediately. Everything. Don a mask and respirator to protect from any mold that has grown in it. Anything fabric is toast likely. And completely disassemble everything that would've been in contact with the water. Then hose down the result with regular water, scrub interior. Or, as somebody suggested somewhere, submerge the car in someone's pool via crane. You could probably just submerge it up to a little above where the water rose.

At the very least, you can buy it back and clean it up. Maybe gut it, and and save it as a sculpturouse memento.

As a last resort to fix it, and if you have nothing better to spend on, you could surely send it out to have a frame-off (of course a misnomer with these cars, but you get it) restoration. You could maybe send the shell to Porsche to have it cleaned, all 'hidden areas' inspected or replaced, then have the shell re-galvanized. Galvanizing is a process that is only possible in a sterile environment with facilities just for that purpose. Keep in mind something like that (the frame-off resto and chassis repair) would probably cost ten times the value of your average used 993.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about this, but glad that you, your family and hopefully your house are okay.

Take care!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Oh no! Ouch...

Well I'd strip everything out of the car that would have been soaked in Salt Water and then rinse off and scrub the car. Then I'd buy all of the parts you need used especially the electronics that would be impacted. Electronics in floods will continue to be a nightmare for years to come and it will frustrate the heck out of you.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Before scrubbing everything with clean water, I'd start looking for an auto paint shop with a drying booth that would let you roll the car in for a few hours to dry it out afterwards ... I bet there's a few around there that would love to rent you their booth to make some extra cash.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

So sorry. Flooded car with no insurance is a pretty bad situation.

Originally Posted by JM993
If you decide you want to sell it, please send me a PM. I love projects.
If you decide its too much work for you to get it back on the road, I vote you sell it to Joe!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Yes it was uninsured...it sits in the garage for 7-8 months out of the year under a car cover. I really wasn't expecting this...
Well there were warnings days in advance. Personally, I would have moved the car out of the area or to higher ground.

Back to the car. It can be made new again and for very little cost if you are willing to put your time into it. I have taken vehicles that look terrible and had OMG comments after I was done.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Get the insurance company to declare it a salvage car. Take the money. Buy the car from insurance company for a few $K. Start praying.

What most likely will need to be replaced are: ECU, central locking unit, ABS controller, all carpets, cardboard door cards, possibly seats. The bigger issues will start showing up later. Little things like rusted shifter linkages, dead starter, exhaust rusted from inside out, etc. At least at this point you'll have a 993 that's worth what you've paid your insurance company. Which should be less than $10K.
Totally agree.

Salt water immersion affects the wiring harnesses as well as the control units and should ALL be replaced, IMHO to have a reliable car again and that's not cost effective unless you do all the work yourself.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car, and an equally tough situation with the insurance. Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Another thought came to me. If OP has home insurance... car could be covered under that.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
If you decide its too much work for you to get it back on the road, I vote you sell it to Joe!
I'm a glutton for punishment, but it would make for a fascinating project

Quick Reply: 993 involved in a flood - need some guidance