993 Forum 1995-1998

993 involved in a flood - need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
adnanm3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 involved in a flood - need some guidance

I have a 1995 Carrera (non-turbo) with 60k miles. Its a beautiful vehicle, but was unfortunately involved in a flood during the storm in NY.
Water came into the cars but stayed below the seats. I don't believe the engine was submerged in water (don't see any water in the engine nor any debris up that high).

This is a beautiful 1 owner all original 993. There is no way I will part this thing out. Assuming the engine is okay, I want to know where to get started with this car. I know in the 996's there is a computer underneath the d/s seat. IS there also one in the 993? What other key areas or components should I focus on or start hunting for parts?

Thanks so much for any help. We are devastated.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

salt water?

That sucks big time.

There is some electronic goodies under the seat like the engine management (ECU) and the amp.

Here some info.

Start drying!

Wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

There are computers under the driver and passenger seats.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, my heart goes out to you.

Yes, main computer brain is under the driver's seat. If you have hi-fi stereo option then your nokia amp is under the passenger seat, if that's all you need to replace, then you're in good shape, but if the seat motors got wet or any of the electronics in the front trunk floor, that's another story.

To be frank, the biggest financial 'hit' the car can take in this situation is if your insurance company gets involved and declares it a 'salvage' title vehicle. The impact on the value of the car after that is devastating and long term ..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

So sorry to hear about this, sounds like a fabulous car. I'm sure it's not only the car that is a headache right now. There have been a couple of threads about flooded cars recently, so search and you will find a lot of info. Most of it centered around getting the electronic modules under the seats out and dried. If the water sat for long, they may be toast. So, take out the seats, and unhook and remove all the electronic boxes you can see, assuming battery is disconnected.
Best of luck with rebuilding.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 612 Likes on 300 Posts

Sorry to hear about the flood, yes you have electronics under the seats be careful about starting up car before you have electronics checked out additional damage could be done. Also determine your insurance situation regarding the loss most carriers will look to total flood cars due to the possible issues. Also Carfax and other providers are now noting on their history reports if a car was registered in a known flood area. Keep in mind those issues if you decide to repair car, there is always a market for a nice 993 even a flood car that could be converted to a track or race car. Good luck hope all works out for you.
Rich
Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Take the seats out, see if water got in the ECU, immobilizer, amp, etc. Then open the trunk and check the ABS components and AWD brain if the car is AWD. They would be on the right side.

If any of those are toast you can try and source out replacements. It will be somewhere between $1000-2500 most likely. It's a lot less than involving your ins co and having your car's title branded.

PM me if you need help, I'm in NYC.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
To be frank, the biggest financial 'hit' the car can take in this situation is if your insurance company gets involved and declares it a 'salvage' title vehicle. The impact on the value of the car after that is devastating and long term ..
uh, in that case, they would take ownership of the vehicle and pay him.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
If any of those are toast you can try and source out replacements. It will be somewhere between $1000-2500 most likely. It's a lot less than involving your ins co and having your car's title branded.
Exactly ..
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Get the insurance company to declare it a salvage car. Take the money. Buy the car from insurance company for a few $K. Start praying.

What most likely will need to be replaced are: ECU, central locking unit, ABS controller, all carpets, cardboard door cards, possibly seats. The bigger issues will start showing up later. Little things like rusted shifter linkages, dead starter, exhaust rusted from inside out, etc. At least at this point you'll have a 993 that's worth what you've paid your insurance company. Which should be less than $10K.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

another point, you might want to find out your responsibilities involving a claim.
if you start some type of damage assessment or repair without informing your insurance company, then find out there is too much damage and try to make a claim, it is possible you have already violated your policy and no claim is available.
I'm not suggesting any course of action, just bringing up a worst case scenario.
good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I second what Mike says. If you enjoy the car, take the cash and buy it back, if that isn't feasible say goodbye. Salt water and pretty much anything man made don't mix!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

You may have had a great 1-owner 993, but now you have a damaged car with brackish water that is totally destroyed. The car is a piece of crap now, sorry to say.

Have insurance total the car and take the money. Forget about buying that car back. It will be a nightmare of troubles forever. Instead, take that lump of cash from the insurance settlement and find a nice new (to you) 993 and let the good times roll again.

There are many fine examples out there. Don't settle for your old damaged car.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

If you decide to take the $$ from ins co, make sure their offer is representative of actual 993 market values. Check PCA price guide, actual sales price from this forum, Ebay etc. Normal Blue Book values for 993 can be low and unreliable.

Do a search on ins company on this forum and read up...

Hope you get a fair, or better than fair, settlement.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
adnanm3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately this was just a summer car and uninsured at the time. Insurance buyback is not an option

I will try my best to get it fixed at this point.

Quick Reply: 993 involved in a flood - need some guidance