Sponsored by:

Spoiler Wall Rubber Seal problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine actually feels like it's too snug and can't get onto the metal piece on the spoiler itself.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts Vendor has advised that while the spoiler wall is an 'in stock' item the rubber seal is not; they are ordering a seal in and will attempt assembling the two items as necessary for use.

Will advise on the outcome of their experience when I am informed.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

An additional measurement the distance between point "A" and point "B" across the top of the "T" ( of my diagram)
of the rubber seal I will designate "D" is as follows:

On OEM original rubber seal part = 8.0 mm

On OEM replacement rubber seal part = 9.0 mm

This along with the other 'larger than original OEM part' measurements are the reason that the replacement part will not slide into
the replacement spolier wall.

Awaiting vendor experience and response - will update this thread once advised.

Last edited by linen grey ghost; 12-16-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sunset knows the issue and only ships the correct ones. If you have the correct part and know how to do it, it is a 15 min job ...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Default Update : No Joy As Yet...

Well, the vendor I purchased two rubber wall seals from had agreed to get a part from Porsche (in Germany) to see for themselves what the problem is.

They have experienced the same problem I am having: namely the rubber wall seal does not fit in the groove it is supposed to fit in on the rear spoiler wall. The factory workshop manual states: "slide the rubber seal into the spoiler wall" - that's it for assembly instructions. Probably works well if the parts fit together! They have communicated that they will contact me when they have a solution; think I better email them next week.

As suggested by a responder to my OP, I ordered a part from Pelican Parts with the hope of getting a New Old Stock (NOS) parts that was laying around somewhere that would fit; you guessed it - arrived today and does not fit! Same problem as parts from initial vendor: dimensions of "T" Arm are larger than original part and will not fit into rear spoiler wall.

At least they have issued me a 'return parts authorization' and agreed to begin a process of logging complaints to escalate to Porsche NA.

Maybe I should take the parts with me to Sebring in March to the PCA tent and ambush the Porsche Factory Marketing Rep when an appearance is made?!

For a simple project, this has really become a headache of the first degree.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Default Update II

Word from initial vendor (2 rubber seals non-fitting) is that the problem has been communicated to Porsche NA; who in turn has communicated the problem to Porsche AG. Let us sit back and see the level of reaction to this issue on an 'old car'.

Second vendor ( 1 non-fitting seal) has received returned part and issued a credit immediately - thanks to the "state bird of Louisiana" Parts for being a stand up company.

Will update this thread when additional information occurs...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I appreciate all the work on this and keeping us informed. I need to replace mine in the spring.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 AM
RennKurth
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler Wall Update from a new Rennlister: I was in Sunset Porsche today while in Portland for work. I talked to them about the Spoiler Wall and rubber seal problems and they were aware but not too willing to admit the problem. They have communicated with PCNA and hopefully the problem is being addressed for future orders. They had a Spoiler Wall and one rubber seal left so I bought both since my 993 C4S has no wall or seal in place (PO must have removed it and never replaced it - or it fell off before I bought the car.) It was immediately obvious that the rubber seal would not fit easily into the spoiler wall groove.

Since this was my only option, I was determined to make it work. When I got home to Seattle tonight (having 3 hours of driving to think about a solution), I decided I would need to modify the rubber seal by trimming and expanding the cutouts to make it fit properly. The rubber seal was about 1cm too long and the cutouts were off by approx. 5-10mm from where they needed to line up. Cutting the rubber seal with an Exacto knife was not a problem and it was easily trimmed and modified.

Now onto inserting the rubber seal into the "T" groove on the bottom of the Spoiler Wall. I decided to use the same principle as removing and installing handlebar grips on a bicycle. I first placed the rubber seal in the sink filled with ice water (to try to shrink - and also stiffen the rubber while I pushed it through the Spoiler Wall. I also heated the Spoiler Wall plastic using a hair dryer to try to expand the plastic slightly. I then used dish soap as a lubricant and rubbed the rubber seal as well as ran a bead of soap down the length of the Spoiler Wall slot. The seal was a very tight fit but with much force and pushing downward while holding the Spoiler Wall vertically on the kitchen countertop, the seal slowly slide through the slot. I rinsed off the excess dish soap and the seal is now securely attached to the Spoiler Wall.

All together, it took me about 30 mins. to force the rubber seal into the "T" slot on the Spoiler Wall, trim the rubber seal and test fit for final modifications and complete the install to the Spoiler. I have never attempted this before and have not even seen a properly installed Spoiler Wall to compare to. The procedure was fairly intuitive and too a few tries to figure out exactly how to orient the seal and Spoiler wall grooves for installation.

Now that I've done this once, I should only take me about 15-20 mins. the next time. Feel free to ask any questions if needed and I'd be happy to help anyone who is wanting to attempt this procedure. Hopefully Porsche AG will correct the problem with the next run of rubber seals so this isn't such a big issue.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Default Next up from PORSCHE AG: "Here is a block of rubber..."

"...carve your own part."

Here is the response (unedited) PORSCHE provided to the parts vendor-yes, I will now name the well respected parts vendor; so if you do not want to know-skip to the next paragraph in this post. Fair warning received -- parts vendor "Sunset Porsche"

** We heard back from Porsche. We also showed the seal and wall to a Porsche rep that was visiting last week. Unfortunately, they did not have the answer we were hoping for. Porsche in Germany and the local Porsche Rep says that seals are to be sold as is. They said if anything we can inform clients that the seal may need to be “reworked.” One of our other clients was able to get the seal installed by a body shop but they did have to slightly “rework” the edge. **

Nice huh? Am I out of line to think that when I purchase a part from the OEM that the part should fit and function as originally intended; without "reworking" on the customers part? Guess those of us owning 'vintage' PORSCHE products money is no longer the correct and required shade of green.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

This is sad to hear, but inevitable I'm afraid.

I can sympathize with your frustration.

As our cars age we will more than likely get less and less support from Porsche AG. They will lose interest in small production runs of specialty parts.

Eventually even their own "Porsche Classic Shop" will source aftermarket parts.

Microsoft no longer supports Win95 either.

Regards,

Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

New ones were probably mfg in China on a sub-contract. Who knows....Lack of quality control. Porsche obviously doesn't seem to care. Sad. I guess it's the new world economy.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just what I hoping for! Turns out, my rubber seal is completely gone so I have no idea where it sits. Any chance you can post a picture of how/where the rubber seal sits?

I'd highly appreciated!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

these are from links in this thread. I was confused, wonder where the Heck is this, but I have the aero kit on mine. Duh!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...iler_wall2.htm
http://www.bergvillfx.com/spoilerwallrepair.html

Quick Reply: Spoiler Wall Rubber Seal problem