Rear speaker opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rear speaker opinions?

Back story:
It's 1+45 from my house to the track. On my way down last month, with the fabspeed supercup mufflers installed, I blew my rear speakers. Yes, they must be turned up really loud to be able to hear over the exhaust...They are Boston Acoustic C700 series II.
Id like to replace them with some that will handle the power of a fairly good 400 watt amp the po installed. I need the stock 4x6 size so I don't have to modify my package shelf.
I am not a serious audiophile, and 30 years of working around jet engines coupled with an affinity for guns has probably taken a toll on my hearing anyway.
Just looking for decent sound, and the ability to handle the power so I don't have to change them every time I put the supercups on.
Looks like best buy has infinitys and Polk for around $150. Anyone know what are good ones these days?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I copied this from a previous post: Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations is a car audio consultant with a shop near Sacramento, CA. He is a Rennlist sponsor and contributor, and tremendous resource for questions about audio upgrades in 993s. Rod is known for enthusiastically answering any and every question that can arise about audio in the 911. Rod offers advice whether or not a person is a prospective customer…many Rennlisters have picked his brain with no purchase obligation whatsoever.

No affiliation, and updating the speakers in my 96 C4 is on my to-do list, but I have not yet begun my search.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Polk Plates that the stock grills fit over w/ very little modification but I'm not driving them w/ 400 watts and over a set of Supercups.....

Personally I've had infinity's in the past but thought they had too much high freq. and way too little low.

Lots of places online much cheaper than BB.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Rear speakers are mainly for fill. Are you running front speakers? Personally, only have my amp driving the fronts, and the rears are just using headunit , I.e. low power.

400 watts is serious power, I don't even know if any 4x6 will handle that much. FWIW I am using Oz Audio Vector plates in the rear.

I also doubt that 400W RMS is truly delivered to each speaker. And if so, at what TOtal harmonic distortion?

Is that amp 4x100, I.e 100 watts per channel? That seems more realistic. If so, the you need speakers that can handle 100w. You might also try turning the gain down to the rear channels to limit the power delivered.

Assuming all that is correct, most of the major brands would suffice. I am a fan of Focal, Hertz, Polk and Boston Acoustics. I have Oz Audio speakers, but they went out of business.
Pick the ones that sound best to you. Both infinity and Polk are good quality
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The Polk model 461 (4"x6) plate speaker is used by 993 owners with great sonic results. JBL has a 4"x 6 plate speaker, as do others. Do keep in mind the limited size voice coil these speakers can have - this limits there RMS power rating. The "400 watts" most likely is a nebulious marketing term. A credible power rating would look something like this; 400 watts RMS @ X ohms per channel (20hz -20khz +/= X db)

Additionally, look for the gain control pot's on your external amp as the R ch/L ch gain structure relative to the rear speakers can be trimmed down, limiting the amps output to the rear speakers.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything said so far. Rod is great, 4x6s do a good job of filling out the sound (I've got JLs) and the amp is most likely 100 per channel. If you want to go to the next level the Rod Birch subs even with the cheaper 8W1 speakers do a good job filling in the lower frequencies. I read all of the stereo posts a couple of years back. Someone stated that the 993 acoustics weren't good and I wholeheartedly agree with that. I can't get good low volume response but the stereo does sound alright when cranked although I hardly ever do that. I'm not going to spend anymore on it. Perhaps I am spoiled by the well tuned and engineered acoustics in newer vehicles.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 368 Posts

I have the POLK 4x6's. Fit nicely with factory grill and do a decent job soundwise
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my rear deck speakers, like four years ago now with Polks and wrote it up. I think if you did a search for "Replacing Rear Deck Speakers" you may find the thread. I was able to buy replacements back then but you may find that the 944 speaker grills used in the 993 are NLA.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Baj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kika
Rear speakers are mainly for fill. Are you running front speakers? Personally, only have my amp driving the fronts, and the rears are just using headunit , I.e. low power.

400 watts is serious power, I don't even know if any 4x6 will handle that much. FWIW I am using Oz Audio Vector plates in the rear.

I also doubt that 400W RMS is truly delivered to each speaker. And if so, at what TOtal harmonic distortion?

Is that amp 4x100, I.e 100 watts per channel? That seems more realistic. If so, the you need speakers that can handle 100w. You might also try turning the gain down to the rear channels to limit the power delivered.

Assuming all that is correct, most of the major brands would suffice. I am a fan of Focal, Hertz, Polk and Boston Acoustics. I have Oz Audio speakers, but they went out of business.
Pick the ones that sound best to you. Both infinity and Polk are good quality
I totally agree. Rears are just for fill in if you must use them.
I have disconnected my rear speakers and upgraded the fronts to focal krx2's.
I also have fab speed muffler bypass and can hear my speakers fine(unless my foots to the floor).
You will be hard pushed to find any 400watt speakers to fit in your car.
When looking for speakers and amp make sure you look at the RMS power not the max/peak power.
When setting the amp put the gains on minimum, set he head unit volume to about 3/4 then increase the gain on the amp until the speaker just starts to distort then back them off a bit.
This will give you best performance with what you have and also give you an idea of the max volume you can turn it up without damage to your speakers.
I would say disconnect the rear speakers, upgrade the front speakers to 6.5" and fix them to the metal of the door and not the doorcard. This is by far the best starting point in upgrading your system.
My system can go way louder than I would ever want to listen to it, this means that it is never pushed to the limit under normal listening.

Quick Reply: Rear speaker opinions?