Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB, Telephone Center Console (X-Post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB, Telephone Center Console (X-Post)

This is a cross-post from the "wanted" forum, but I am looking for a Telephone Center Console for a 993. I would prefer Black leather, but would consider all. Also, would be willing to trade.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you looking for this? I am happy that I have it to hook up my PDA which has navigation and MP3s (now with 16GB compact flash).
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Are you looking for this? I am happy that I have it to hook up my PDA which has navigation and MP3s (now with 16GB compact flash).
Yes, that is what I am looking for. Now stop teasing me!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one in Midnight Blue leather and want to swap out for the standard console. What does this piece typically sell for (used)?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by farmerjohn
I've got one in Midnight Blue leather and want to swap out for the standard console. What does this piece typically sell for (used)?
PM sent.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

farmerjohn,

Did you get my PM ?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to find one of these as well. Black leather pref. but would take any and recover.

Good luck in your search Jeff.

Cheers.

RT
Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not worry about the color. Just get you some quality dye in Porsche black from colorplus.com and you will be fine.

Erik
Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Do not worry about the color. Just get you some quality dye in Porsche black from colorplus.com and you will be fine.

Erik
If I get one in a color other than Black, dying it is the route I will take for sure. Recovering cost must be crazy.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 AM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Jeff,

I have one of these in my 964. If you haven't driven with the console installed you may want to consider doing so. I'm 5 foot 7 and find the console to continually be in the way (rubs on the right leg). I guess I'm getting use to it, but given the choice I would have preferred not having the option. Anyhow, just my personal experience. Hope you have luck acquiring the piece!

Last edited by 68CGPlt; 12-23-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-23-2007, 06:04 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 68CGPlt
Jeff,

I have one of these in my 964. If you haven't driven with the console installed you may want to consider doing so. I'm 5 foot 7 and find the console to continually be in the way (rubs on the right leg). I guess I'm getting use to it, but given the choice I would have preferred not having the option. Anyhow, just my personal experience. Hope you have luck acquiring the piece!
Good advice. I haven't driven with one installed, but I wanted it for the space to mount a Kenwood DNX-7100 AM/FM/DVD/CD & Navigation "All-in-One" unit. I hadn't even considered that it may affect the drivability. I'll have to go sit in the car and do some measuring.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:37 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How deep is the Kenwood unit? There is not much depth behind the top portion of the bat phone panel, due to the dash. I was going to mount my new head unit in there, but no way it would fit.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brucec59
How deep is the Kenwood unit? There is not much depth behind the top portion of the bat phone panel, due to the dash. I was going to mount my new head unit in there, but no way it would fit.
Another good question! I guess more research is in order.
I saw this picture and wanted something similar:
Attached Images  

Last edited by 993_Pilot; 12-25-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brucec59
I finally got the depth measurement, and it is 6-7/16" deep with a Double DIN opening. Not having the console yet, I have no way to measure if it will fit. Does anyone have a way to do the measuring? I would be most grateful and willing to buy you a beer or three when you come to town!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, I took some pics that you might find helpful. I'll include a bit more detail about my system for the sake of others who might be interested. The pic you posted above is probably a surface-mount monitor, which might not be a bad idea.

First, this is my current setup. I removed the phone cradle and a little speaker box that were attached to the Bat Phone panel, and either cut back or tied off the wiring that was attached to that stuff. My plan is to make a new panel and mount all of this stuff in it, but for now, the old panel is not too terribly ugly.

Mounted to the panel, I have a Garmin nuvi 650 GPS, wireless remote for the stereo, high-speed oil cooler fan override switch (just below the GPS, where the original phone power switch was located), and the stock spoiler and sunroof switches and their indicators. I mounted a cigarette lighter socket behind the console to plug in the GPS, as I didn't want to cut into the cable to hard wire it.

I installed an external antenna for the GPS, which I mounted on the dash, because I found that reception was poor this low in the car with the built-in antenna. The GPS is attached to the panel with a RAM Mount RAM-HOL-GA22.

The stereo remote is mounted on a piece of aluminum from my junk drawer. The remote had to be mounted out from the panel and tilted slightly for it to work. Sony has a wired remoted, but that thing is fugly and sticks out from the panel too far.

As you can see from this side view, the lower dash severely limits the area inside the bat phone console.

The console is attached to the lower dash with screws, and the foam is cut away in places. And of course, no ash tray.

So, Jeff, here is what might be of interest to you. It's kind of hard to get an accrurage reading due to the angle of the pics, but these shots give you an idea of how severely limited the space is behind the panel. The vertical aluminum structural support (seen better in the pics above) is about 6" back from the panel, give or take a half-inch or so depending on where you measure from, as it's not parallel to the panel.

As I said, I plan to make a new panel and mount all of this stuff in it, plus genuine Porsche switches for the fan override and garage door opener. I was also thinking of a VDO volt meter, but there's no more room on the panel.

Quick Reply: WTB, Telephone Center Console (X-Post)