Sponsored by:

Car Transport for 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Transport for 993

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a car transport company? I am in the process of getting a PPI done on a 993 and want to get some prices on transport.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

i just submitted the details to intercity based on this question previously being asked.

just curious, do ppl feel it is safer to ship a car or would they think the nice 19.5 hr drive would be better?

i am thinking for the sake of time, i would prefer to ship the car. cost of a one-way flight would be $300 and I would not be saving much money by driving it back. i do think i would enjoy the drive though.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove 4 cars from Miami area to NYC. Loved it. Learnt lots about the cars. The ones from the West Coast i shipped, Largely cos they were more track spec than road spec. If they had been road cars id have driven them. Just my opinion.. road trips are my favorite thing to do if i have the time to burn.. I used two different companies.. one with great sucess and one who was a total PITA. I need to remember which was which before i give any guidance there!.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I do agree the road trip would be fun especially since this will be my first time driving a 993. I think you provided me some feedback previously when I was buying my 91 964 C2 a few months back.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

You are most welcome.. I remember your c2 aquisition for sure.. sounds like u are well on your way with the collection addiction... whats the plan?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I just had my car shipped from Vegas to KY. I nearly flew out and drove it home but couldn't bear the almost 2000 mile drive. I've driven across the country many times so that wasn't going to be anything new and after the plane ticket, gas, and hotel room(s) I was only going to save about $400 by driving vs enclosed shipping. If you're worried about excessive road rash you could always tape up the front end.

I do like the idea of driving one home but would prefer a shorter distance. Maybe someday.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Demoise a lot. http://www.demoise.com/

There are many threads on this topic, with many outfits reviewed--just one a few weeks ago, if memory serves.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

At this point intercity and passport aka fedex are both about $1400 for enclosed. I got one quote for not enclosed at $920.

Yes, if I end up driving it back...blue painters tape will be my friend.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JLJ11
You are most welcome.. I remember your c2 aquisition for sure.. sounds like u are well on your way with the collection addiction... whats the plan?
I ended up buying the 964 for 10.5 plus a 300 ppi.

That car turned out better than expected. I drove it back from outside of NYC to South Jersey and it drove much better than expected. Also, when I first went up to check that car out in person it smoked for what it seemed like 15 mins due to it sitting and being parked on what seemed to be about a 30 degree angle driveway. It has not smoked much at all since then.

Also, I detailed the worst parts of the car and it came up great. Wore through the paint a little in a few places between the rear deck and the rear window but compared to how oxidized it was prior to the detail it still looks better. The rear bumper was fairly oxidized as well and that thing shines like new.

Also, bought all new rear tail lights for it. I am probably going to keep both of them at this point. Will work on changing out the gaskets on the 964 to get rid of most of the oil leaks...which are not as bad as originally thought as well and will change out the distributor caps/rotors/plugs while at it. Plan on getting the valve covers and tins all powder coated as well.

The 964 is going to be mainly for DE type events. This is more of a toy.

Actually since we have warm weather today and tomorrow I am cleaning up the RS4 and the 964. Also, cleaning up the garage to get ready to work on the 964. Then in the Spring...garage is getting enlarged to hold the toys.

This 993 I am thinking will stay stock for the most part and be driven only on nice days as it seems to be a great example. Will know how great once it gets through the PPI.

I look at it like this money in a clean 993 might be better than sitting in the bank where I am collecting hardly any interest and having no fun.

Will post up results of the PPI and pics of the 993 once I get them.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NEK

There are many threads on this topic, with many outfits reviewed--just one a few weeks ago, if memory serves.
Will check this one next. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I just had my car shipped from Vegas to KY. I nearly flew out and drove it home but couldn't bear the almost 2000 mile drive. I've driven across the country many times so that wasn't going to be anything new and after the plane ticket, gas, and hotel room(s) I was only going to save about $400 by driving vs enclosed shipping. If you're worried about excessive road rash you could always tape up the front end.

I do like the idea of driving one home but would prefer a shorter distance. Maybe someday.
Agree with you on this one.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swesna
I ended up buying the 964 for 10.5 plus a 300 ppi.

That car turned out better than expected. I drove it back from outside of NYC to South Jersey and it drove much better than expected. Also, when I first went up to check that car out in person it smoked for what it seemed like 15 mins due to it sitting and being parked on what seemed to be about a 30 degree angle driveway. It has not smoked much at all since then.

Also, I detailed the worst parts of the car and it came up great. Wore through the paint a little in a few places between the rear deck and the rear window but compared to how oxidized it was prior to the detail it still looks better. The rear bumper was fairly oxidized as well and that thing shines like new.

Also, bought all new rear tail lights for it. I am probably going to keep both of them at this point. Will work on changing out the gaskets on the 964 to get rid of most of the oil leaks...which are not as bad as originally thought as well and will change out the distributor caps/rotors/plugs while at it. Plan on getting the valve covers and tins all powder coated as well.

The 964 is going to be mainly for DE type events. This is more of a toy.

Actually since we have warm weather today and tomorrow I am cleaning up the RS4 and the 964. Also, cleaning up the garage to get ready to work on the 964. Then in the Spring...garage is getting enlarged to hold the toys.

This 993 I am thinking will stay stock for the most part and be driven only on nice days as it seems to be a great example. Will know how great once it gets through the PPI.

I look at it like this money in a clean 993 might be better than sitting in the bank where I am collecting hardly any interest and having no fun.

Will post up results of the PPI and pics of the 993 once I get them.
Sounds great.. Look forward to seeing the pics.
Re the track like / DE fate for the 964.. u going to be at NJMP much? its not that far from u. I have a garage down there and when in the US am there most members days, usually with the M3's but hope to have a 911 track ready by spring.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 348 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NEK

DeMoise went out of business almost a year ago. We used them many many times and are sorry to see them go.

We have also used Intercity MANY times and used them just a month ago to transport our 'new' 997S to us. They treated us great, as they always have. They are also a Rennlist Sponsor.....
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
Will check this one next. Thanks.
Demoise sold their business to InterCity.

For car transport, if you post the question on Rennlist, most would recommend InterCity.

$1400 seems to be the standard quote. I used them 3mos ago to truck the car from CA to TX for the same amount.

Verdict is InterCity about the priciest but also the best, especially in shipping P cars.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I have shipped several times, and InterCity has always been super expensive. If you are not on their routes, and they have to make a special trip to pick-up or drop off their price really sky rockets. Hence why I have never used them.

Most people here will not agree, but you might consider open transport. It is about half the cost of enclosed. Further, if you were going to drive the car any way it would be exposed to as much, or more than on an open transport.

Good Luck,
--Joe

Quick Reply: Car Transport for 993