Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche - more for less.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:01 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by JLJ11
i'll wait till its halved in value again in a few years and been cared for and upgraded sensibly by some wonderful rennlister.. now THATS a bargain.
right?

on the Nav, to each their own - there are certainly merits for each

many solve the dilema by having multiple cars for multiple itches...

tho it's hard to argue the obsolescence factor, pick up one of those integrated nav cars when fully depreciated years later and you're left w/ a ginormous and out of date impediment

I still yearn for better instead of more complex - give me a non-computer drill-down system for HVAC yes please thanks and have it be analogish but awesome and modern, then separate, computer-brain for vehicle systems, then a separate radio.

all-in-one is the suk... cover a little of a lot of bases - no thanks

Sigh...

Alas it's not to be w/ modern cars... we're forced to used to it / over it. D'oh.

Love the nose / nose comparo pic... that's telling. 991 is indeed a finely finished gent's GT while Cayman Redux seems to tread in 911's footprints of yore. Get further used to it.

hmm the poo-sling was interesting, and ohso revealing... unfortunately. Wow.
Old 12-03-2012 | 11:24 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Since RocketJohn posted a picture of my two cars, I'll inflict my opinion here. Opinions are all we are talking about here, right? In my opinion my 993's interior is more intimate than the 991's. It makes me feel more like I am wearing the car. Most important for me is that it reminds of my past in a pleasant gauzy way. I get a joy from driving it that is altogether different from the 991. The interior is a large part of this appeal. The dash, the closeness of the winshield base, the ability to see the right front headlight at night (just a little crescent sliver of light) and the fact that i can reach across the car and touch the passenger side window without having to lean over are key elements of this potent appeal. The 991, on the other hand, is all about today. It still has a flat six behind the axle with styling any Porschephile can see is a 911, but if all you did was sit behind the wheel with various crests and emblems removed, and if your Porsche experience was 993 and before, I'm not sure you would recognize you were sitting in a 911.
I love them both, but for different reasons. My cab is heavily optioned and the red interior means it has some sort of leather upgrade, so maybe my opinion is not valid for all 991's, but I think the quality is fantastic. I really like the nav but think the screen would not look good in a 993 .....unless there were rabbit ears mounted on top.
Old 12-03-2012 | 11:35 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Meh.....
the irony is most of the "things" listed above as features would never add to the weight of the 991 as they are electronic/software components. Items that are easy to list as "added value" but in essence, are the least expensive to engineer and produce...yet will be the first things that are problematic or require updating.
understood, but the sheer size difference should add quite a bit of weight... my point was comparing base to base and features for features over 18 years, not bad value in the 991. Especially when you consider a PDK Sport Chrono Base Carrera has the same 0-60 time and about the same top speed as a 993 Turbo.
Old 12-03-2012 | 12:16 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

What cost $65000 in 2011 would cost $44596.32 in 1995.
Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 1995 and 2011,
they would cost you $65000 and $94370.48 respectively.

Quick Reply: Porsche - more for less.