Sponsored by:

Dialed in...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Dialed in...

Since buying it earlier this year, my car never really felt as stable as it should during 'spirited' driving considering it has the Bilstein PSS10's. I thought it could be due to the older Pirelli's I had on, though switching to new rubber only made a slight improvement.

Finally had a chance this past Sunday to get the tt over to my friend's house to sort it out, along with an oil change & boost hose r&r. He's a racer & has a VERY nicely equipped shop - including a full Intercomp scale & alignment set up. It's one thing to own this stuff, but understanding how it all works & what to do with it is another...

As suspected, the car was way out of whack with varying toe settings - I'd be surprised if an alignment had even been done following the PSS10 install. Jim & my trusted wrench Stephen made some ride height adjustments, dialed out the toe/camber issues and corner balanced it- completely transforming the cars attitude.

The oil change was my first on a turbo - what a pain in the ***.... Both filters had been installed way too tightly - the smaller one actually broke an arm off my filter wrench.

I had also been experiencing some boost loss & 'fluttering' - new reinforced IC to turbo hoses & Breeze clamps were a reasonably simple fix with only the passenger side giving a little trouble...

The point of the post is to recommend that you have a thorough alignment done on your car to check all of the settings - if you haven't already done so. My drive home that evening was fantastic - what a difference.

Few crappy iphone pictures from the day:

Back in the garage:
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Great shop and nice work! How far out were your settings?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

A simple alignment by someone who knows what they're doing really transforms the car! Especially a 993 and above with the funky kinematic toe settings.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick, agreed. When I put my PSS10s on and drove it I was unimpressed. After my alignment to ROW sport with corner balance, it was fantastic. Nimble, light and precise are the words that describe my car's handling.

Your car looks great and your freind's set up is very nice indeed! Congrats!

PS. Where did you get those dumpy looking wheels?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Great shop and nice work! How far out were your settings?

Cheers,

Mike
I forgot to grab the sheet with the original settings, though remember that the rear passenger side had 11mm of toe in and the fronts had around 4mm. Camber was out of sync on the right side also.

Here are the new settings:
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not know which I am more jealous of... the car or the garage
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking good Nick...as always!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 554 Posts

Very nice! And your friend has an amazing shop. Jealous!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bosoxfan
I do not know which I am more jealous of... the car or the garage
I will go with both.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a sweet setup! Car ain't bad, either Did he set the kinematic toe?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Nick, I'm not liking that cross-weight on the sheet. Would be curious what it ends up being with you in the car (mighty surprising you weren't in it for corner balance and alignment).

Other than that the car looks great, the total weight is surprisingly low for a TT, especially with full tank of gas - I mean there's 108 lbs of gas in a full tank. The alignment and the results don't surprise me much. It's not the equipment. It's an art form - that's for sure. If an alignment guy understands and knows what he's doing, the results are usually really eye-opening.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
That is a sweet setup! Car ain't bad, either Did he set the kinematic toe?
Hey Bart... Yes, he did.

Originally Posted by nile13
Nick, I'm not liking that cross-weight on the sheet. Would be curious what it ends up being with you in the car (mighty surprising you weren't in it for corner balance and alignment).

Other than that the car looks great, the total weight is surprisingly low for a TT, especially with full tank of gas - I mean there's 108 lbs of gas in a full tank. The alignment and the results don't surprise me much. It's not the equipment. It's an art form - that's for sure. If an alignment guy understands and knows what he's doing, the results are usually really eye-opening.
I was in the car when they were calculating all the settings & weights. To be honest, they were speaking Greek as far as I was concerned.... All I know is that they were both very happy with the numbers & final set up - and the car feels amazing.

We were also surprised at the overall weight with a full tank. I still have the Euro GT3 seats installed, along with the Fabspeed bypass pipes which together shave a decent chunk off.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
bigrig
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

your car is GORGEOUS.....
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

I helped out with the last hub stand alignment that was done to my car. Such a complex, yet relitively easy to set up and kinda simple to understand process. The magic is in the final numbers, and how every little tweek effects another.

Congrats Nick. Now your car drives as good as it looks!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Nick, I think they might have set the corner height with you in the car (right thing to do) but gave the numbers on the sheet without you. Essentially, you want RF+LR weight to be about equal to LF+RR. In your case there's about 176 lbs difference. Since you sit on the left side of the car slightly closer to the front wheel, some of this difference will work itself out due to your weight.

Quick Reply: Dialed in...