two problems - need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default two problems - need help

Hi all,

I've got two problems I need help with - I've search the archives, but not found much guidance:

1. Terrible smell from fresh air ventilation - for the last few days, when run fresh air on the HVAC, the air coming out smells like cow poop! It doesn't happen when I run the a/c or the heater, and the smells seems to be worse in the right side vents. Any ideas of where to look for the source, and what it might be?

2. Front trunk leak - the last couple of times I've washed the car, I've noticed that the carpet in the trunk is wet, and there is water along the seal on the right side of the trunk? The car had body work on that side earlier this year, so I'm assuming this is just something that needs adjustment. I'm taking the car back to the body shop - is there anything in particular I should tell them besides the fact that it's leaking?

Thanks!

Arun
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Arun, my guess is that the problems are related. The vent system is high up in the trunk area, which may be near the leak.

I hope that you are well. Haven't heard from you in a while.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Arun, my guess is that the problems are related. The vent system is high up in the trunk area, which may be near the leak.

I hope that you are well. Haven't heard from you in a while.
agreed.
check out the passenger side air box in the front trunk (near the pollen filter) and look for cow poop, or mold, or?

Craig
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - just what I was wondering - I'll tell the shop to check it out when they fix the leak (not that I have great confidence that they'll remember to do it.)

Hi Patrick - good to hear from you! I thought you'd sold the RUF - glad to see it's still around. I'm well, moved from SF to DC last year to work on health care policy. Now headed to LA to do more of the same.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

On the smell, make sure there is nothing stuck in the vents or that the HVAC filters are not wet. You can remove the plastic piece at the front of the trunk, under that you can see the AC evaporator, blow that out with compressed air, same for the 2 blower motors. If that doesn't help, get 1Z vent cleaner stuff. It works.

On the trunk, there are a few places water can get in..
1. Washer nozzles, pop them up and clean the gasket and make sure they are flat and clicked in all the way.
2. Porsche badge, make sure it's flat, and the gasket is flush all the way around. If you over tighten it, the badge will distort with the gasket, and let water in.
3. Big trunk seal, you can put talcum powder on the gasket then hit it with a hose to see if water it getting past it. This is a $300+ seal.
4. Windshield, you can pull off the outer rubber gasket and see if water is pooling under it, and there is no rust.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 379 Posts

get 1Z vent cleaner stuff. It works
+1

You can also get a foaming duct cleaning kit similar to the 1Z at any Toyota dealer. Toyotas seem to be notorious for clogged drains and build around the evaporator. They sell a nice 2-part kit (foaming cleaner & deodorizer) for $19. Used it on my wifes car and the gunk that came out was amazing.

I am now thinking of using the 1Z every year to prevent it getting bad.

Quick Reply: two problems - need help