Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Issues- Alignment

Hi
Regarding Sunroof Alignment
I have been trying to get my sunroof alignment perfect, front is perfect but the back is down, about 1mm.
In adjusting the back of the sunroof I pushed it up to it's maximum adjustment, but it was still down by 1 mm, I found that there was a spacer between the bolts and the rear sunroof bracket (photo attached- spacer), so I decided to put the spacer between the sunroof and bracket (photo of rear sunroof bracket attached).
This moving of the spacer fixed the alignment of the sunroof, the sunroof was perfectly aligned to the roof of the car, front and back .

Then the issue, I moved the sunroof all the way back and then forward and I found that there was a 6inch scratch left in the sunroof, Bugger,,,,,,,

In further investigation I found that there are two bracket/hooks inside the roof, that the back of the sunroof clipped into when closed,
The left side hook was obviously low enough when the sunroof is adjusted up to scratch the sunroof.

Now the question-
Has anyone had this issue before, adjusting their sunroof?
I have two option, as I see it
Leave the sunroof adjustment as it is and push up the brackets/hooks inside the roof to compensate for the sunroof being higher, will the sunroof still close/operate
or
move the spacers back to the other side of the sunroof bracket and put up with a 1mm gap at the back of the sunroof in height between the sunroof and roof.

Can any one who has had any experience with sunroofs, offer any advise?

Yes, I have spoken to the Porsche dealer, they are not sure, other than sunroofs can be scratched if the sunroof is misaligned (I know that) and I have had a look at the the sunroof section in the service manual, but it is no help, and does not cover this issue or show where the spacer should go.

Thanks,
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a thread just a few weeks ago about this.....search should find it. There is some adjustment I think and several small plastic pieces that can break. I had a similar issue and just cleaning/lubing sunroof rails fixed it for me (why, I don't know, but I'll take it...)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your feedback,
but there are no broken components on my sunroof.

This is an alignment issue.
Firstly I need to know where the square spacer with the three holes sit,
between the sunroof and mounting bracket?
or
under the mounting bracket, between the bolts and mounting bracket?

This question answered would help a lot, as starting point, anyone has the answer?

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Firstly I need to know where the square spacer with the three holes sit, between the sunroof and mounting bracket?
or under the mounting bracket, between the bolts and mounting bracket?
Neil, look for signs such as markings left by a socket head cap screw on the surface of either item.

If that spacer has no rub marks on it from a fastener, chances are it fits between things.

Just a guess and how I determine things when I have nothing else to go on.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Alex,
I have looked at the the signs on the surfaces as you have suggested.
The spacer looks to have been between the sunroof and bracket at some time, due to the slight bend in the spacer, shaped like the sunroof.
But when I looked at the sunroof it was under the bracket between the bracket and the bolts.
So looking at the signs, I am just as confused.

Hence the question on the forum.

Hence there must be someone on the forum that has looked at this area on their sunroof.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not 100% sure of the Q, but I've recently torn mine apart a few times.

I don't recognize the spacer in the top photo, but there is something similar to it that fits on top of the L bracket and into a sort of notch in the sunroof in the lower picture. Sometimes too low in the back really means the front is too high. Try loosening everything back up, tighten down the front (note that the receptor holes for the screw are themselves adjustable) so that the front is a touch lower, and that might allow the back to come up a bit more before the motor thinks its job is done.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil, for what it's worth, I had my sunroof apart today putting in a new rear seal and I do not have such a spacer.

However if you look at the back bracket there is a way to adust the height of the bracket without needing a spacer which should then affect the height of the sunroof. I think you have top view of it in your second picture in the bottom right.

Regards, Frank

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Frank and JPS,
Interesting-
I have had another Renlister state,that the spacer goes between the bolts and the rear bracket( bracket in my bottom photo, above).
I tried to adjust the rear adjustment on the sunroof as high as it goes, but it was not high enough, hence I moved the spacer too between the bracket and sunroof, it was high enough with the roof, but then I got a scratch in the sunroof.
From what all are saying,the spacer does not go between the sunroof and bracket.
The spacer is between the bolts and bracket, I guess the holes in the spacer are round and the bracket are elongated holes,so it could make sense.
Could the spacer (type of washer) be on the later model 993's, my car is March 1997?
But was not on the earlier as per JPS and Frank's car.

I am going to refit the sunroof with the feedback I have received and try and adjust it again.
I have not resprayed the sunroof as yet, so I can fiddle without causing any more damage.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

JPS,
Do you have a photo of what you have descried?
With respect to
"I don't recognize the spacer in the top photo, but there is something similar to it that fits on top of the L bracket and into a sort of notch in the sunroof in the lower picture".

Thanks,
Neil
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

6th picture I posted in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=7241

Quick Reply: Sunroof Issues- Alignment