Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bargain Targa? '96 $23,900 no affiliation . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Bargain Targa? '96 $23,900 no affiliation . . .

Saw this listed somewhat locally . . .

Has issues, but not insurmountable.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/3394216221.html

No affiliation whatsoever.

Regards,

Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

looks to be an all round nice original used targa. If paint is original and has less then 3 owners of course.

im not a targa guy per say, but low 20's for these or cabrios with simular mileage is where the price point should be. High 20s for coupe...

Lets not forget that this car is due for about 5k worth of work if the owner has not done any major service in recent years.... belts, plugs, shocks, brakes etc...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Could have lots of hidden issues - and I know the inside of these roofs, would not touch one with that mileage without a good bank account ready. Bet it was poorly maintained...but who knows.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Could have lots of hidden issues - and I know the inside of these roofs, would not touch one with that mileage without a good bank account ready. Bet it was poorly maintained...but who knows.

Cheers,

Mike
That is what scares me about these with these damn targa roofs... Best to stay clear of them even though it is a really cool experience to be inside one of them.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

would not touch one with that mileage without a good bank account ready.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I wanted a Targa.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

What's with the "Uber rare color" claims of late. Polar silver metallic was a standard 993 color during one or two years of production, and certainly a tier 1 cost paint option of the days...
This rough 993 targa could be a good project car (under $20K USD) for the right new owner.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
What's with the "Uber rare color" claims of late. Polar silver metallic was a standard 993 color during one or two years of production, and certainly a tier 1 cost paint option of the days...
Agree. Gorgeous color, but nothing rare about polar silver, and this is coming from a polar silver owner.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, what are the most common colors? Black and Silver - with Arctic and Polar quite common. That add was quite sales oriented, with rare colors and car - BS. I think there is something wrong with the car given the price, its almost too low.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
That is what scares me about these with these damn targa roofs... Best to stay clear of them even though it is a really cool experience to be inside one of them.
I had that experience for 10 years - LOVED the concept of the roof, open road, open roof, fantastic. When it rained, you can see the water streaming across the glass, FANTASTIC. When it fails to close -> not so fantastic. When you find rust -> awful. When some little piece breaks and it jams up ->crap.

People shopping for a Targa should only do so when their love for the roof overrides their love for money - because eventually it will bite. Yeah, I know, there will be owners who say "Well, I have 127,000,000 miles with NO issues" but they are very lucky. The issue is they are rare, so there are not many people who know how to fix them, and the parts are very very expensive, so when it goes wrong, people get stranded. We have a regular occurrence of postings here about "Help - my targa roof does not xxxx anymore!" - that should indicate something. You need to be good mechanically to own one of these - IMHO!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I had that experience for 10 years - LOVED the concept of the roof, open road, open roof, fantastic. When it rained, you can see the water streaming across the glass, FANTASTIC. When it fails to close -> not so fantastic. When you find rust -> awful. When some little piece breaks and it jams up ->crap.

People shopping for a Targa should only do so when their love for the roof overrides their love for money - because eventually it will bite. Yeah, I know, there will be owners who say "Well, I have 127,000,000 miles with NO issues" but they are very lucky. The issue is they are rare, so there are not many people who know how to fix them, and the parts are very very expensive, so when it goes wrong, people get stranded. We have a regular occurrence of postings here about "Help - my targa roof does not xxxx anymore!" - that should indicate something. You need to be good mechanically to own one of these - IMHO!

Cheers,

Mike
Helps to live in Vancouver.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

To tell you the truth, I usually refuse to work on these roofs in my shop - too frustrating and my 10 year tenure with my car was more than enough.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys dump on Targas too much! That said, I am happy owner but agree that this one should be treated with the utmost care.

Mine is way more rare than his!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers,

Mike
Dammit Mike, I want a Targa until I read your posts...

I guess it should really be a thanks for the dose of reality.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by McQueen993
You guys dump on Targas too much!
Given I owned one for 10+ years, I speak from my point of view. Never again. Again, LOVE the car and idea, HATE the execution.

How long have you had yours, and for how many miles?

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Bargain Targa? '96 $23,900 no affiliation . . .