993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about my hunt for a 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012 | 12:19 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Some maintenance history on all three would be helpful ,especially if any have had a top-end done.

3. Way overpriced based on the condition you have described - I would not even consider this one unless he knocked $10K off.

1 and 2 - both seem reasonable if everything checks out, including maintenance history. I would want to see the actual repair invoice on #2 to verify it was "minor." Like others have eluded to, all of these are in the range where they will need a top-end if not already done. You may get years and tens of thousands of miles or not. Just something to consider.

I looked at dozens of cars for over a year before I got my first one, so 'do not be in a hurry' is probably the best recommendation I can give you.
Old 11-08-2012 | 12:23 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

I think #2 is worth looking at a little more if you really like it. I would have a good body shop take a look at it and see if they uncover anything from the accident. If it checks out and everything else is good use the accident to try and negotiate a lower price. If the seller will come down a few thousand have the PPI done and go from there.
Old 11-08-2012 | 04:05 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Default thanks guys

You all are on it!! Ok, membership in effect, I'm legit.
I have been lurking here for some time and looking at different cars in my area for the past year. It's just recently that I have saved enough pennies to make this dream a reality without having to make payments on this new toy. I have known I wanted a 993 since 1995 so I'm not sure when people say wait. I have been waiting for 17 years! lol I also understand when people say the right one will come along. But I also don't want the right one to pass me by.

The two tone interior on the #2 car was not even on my radar, but once I saw the condition of this thing it changed my tune. Secondly, the owner has $6,500 in recipts from last month at Hergeshiemer here in Lake Forest! Other factors to take into account a cracked front bumper(small, not bad), and he has removed all the speakers to be replaced but hasn't gotten around to it. He seems like the fastidious type from the look of his garage and car (does all his own oil changes, detailing, etc.) Oh, and the AC wont hold a charge.

My new questions:
1. Is it ok to negotiate the price prior to having a PPI done?
2. Knowing that the bumper/AC/stereo/clutch situation is looming how far down do you think I can get him off the 30K?
If he isn't willing to deal at all, then I will not go forward with the PPI. Why waste my time and money on someone that won't deal OR
3. Do I just suck it up because the car is 17yrs old (w/ 78Kmiles, I don't think that's bad) and I'm never going to find one that's perfect? I'm not interested in a show car or anything, I'm going to drive this thing all all over the place and sh*t happens on the road so why be scared of a little front end fender bender(if that is indeed all it was)
I know I can get one with less mileage for more money, but it may not have the mods I want, or it will be overpriced, or it will have blue interior, or whatever else
aaagggrrrrhhhh, this is supposed to be fun?
No really, I'm having a blast.
thanks again guys.
M.
Old 11-08-2012 | 04:11 PM
verhag
Pro

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
#3 sounds like a trainwreck. Run away. Overpriced and a mess to fix.

#2 sounds better but the accident is a minus. Key here is what do you think of the tan interior and do you want those specific mods that it has. If you like tan and those particular mods, that's the car to focus more on.

If your answer is no,

#1.

I also would be patient. Now that you've found this site, I can tell you that some of the best 993s you can find are here on the RL classifieds. Sure wouldn't hurt to pay the $17 to become a member and you'll learn much very quickly if you want.

Smart to get a PPI no matter what. I cannot emphasize that too strongly.

Good luck with everything.
Great advice here.....I found mine within one month of my search right here on Rennlist...previous two owners, Rennlist members, had taken great care of a higher mileage car...after three years, my C4S runs and looks as nice as the day it arrived. Good people here, knowledgeable and a great source for your car. Be patient. Stay close to this forum site.
Old 11-08-2012 | 04:42 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by For202fly
The two tone interior on the #2 car was not even on my radar, but once I saw the condition of this thing it changed my tune. Secondly, the owner has $6,500 in recipts from last month at Hergeshiemer here in Lake Forest! Other factors to take into account a cracked front bumper(small, not bad), and he has removed all the speakers to be replaced but hasn't gotten around to it. He seems like the fastidious type from the look of his garage and car (does all his own oil changes, detailing, etc.) Oh, and the AC wont hold a charge.

My new questions:
2. Knowing that the bumper/AC/stereo/clutch situation is looming how far down do you think I can get him off the 30K?
If he isn't willing to deal at all, then I will not go forward with the PPI. Why waste my time and money on someone that won't deal OR
3. Do I just suck it up because the car is 17yrs old (w/ 78Kmiles, I don't think that's bad) and I'm never going to find one that's perfect? I'm not interested in a show car or anything, I'm going to drive this thing all all over the place and sh*t happens on the road so why be scared of a little front end fender bender(if that is indeed all it was)
I know I can get one with less mileage for more money, but it may not have the mods I want, or it will be overpriced, or it will have blue interior, or whatever else
thanks again guys.
M.
With your #2, you self-answered your #1 question.

$30k for a 95 C2 w/ 78k ml and accident history seems high, UNLESS all major repair & maintenance are done (i.e. clutch, topend, shocks...). Hergesheimer is about as good as P-car shop goes. Call up Laura and ask her about the car. She has been very helpful when I purchased mine, very forthcoming; so much so that after hearing her description and recollection of all repairs done I decided to forgo the PPI.

You know by now the 2 most expensive items are clutch and topend rebuild. Screwy thing is owner doesn't get paid the full incremental value, or anywhere close to it, when selling a car w/ such items taken care of compared to one w/o. Buyer doesn't get to save much on the flip side.

That said, I say $27-28k is a fair price, provided owner reinstall speakers and fix AC. 993 AC is only adequate. And in S CA you'll need it. Unless you DIY, AC repairs can be pricey and time consuming giving the wide range of areas to trouble shoot.

I sense you're falling in love w/ the car..., try your best not to compromise too much regarding your criteria. The right one will come along.
Old 11-08-2012 | 05:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

1. 1996 blk/blk 92K miles bone stock 9/10 condition 31K plus tax lic etc. from a dealer here in SoCal.
THIS IS THE BEST OF THE THREE.

2. 1995 blk/blk/tan 78K miles light mods (ie exhaust, suspension, turbo front bumper, wheel and shifter from a 996). Mods are about 8 yrs old. 30K from a private party. Party and carfax both disclose that this car was in a minor accident and the airbag was deployed, this was when the mods were made. I looked around and saw no visible signs that anything had ever happened, also very clean 9/10 inside and out.
WHY BOTHER WITH A 993 THAT HAD AN AIRBAG BLOWOUT WHEN YOU CAN BUY CAR #1?? BESIDES, 996 WHEEL AND SHIFTER IN A 993 IS NOT AS COOL AS ORIGINAL 993 STUFF. THE LAST THING I WANT TO BE REMINDED OF IN MY 993 IS A 996!

3. 1997 C2S silver/blk 110K miles 36K from a private party. Big downside is the interior is wasted. cracked dash in several spots. ripped seats, wasted carpets, mats, shifer,ebrake...seriously everything. The owner showed no pride of ownership. Exterior is 9/10 on a re-spray.
THIS CAR SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL SIT MORE AT YOUR MECHANIC THEN IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. AGAIN, CAR #1 IS THE BEST OF ALL 3, CLEARLY.
Old 11-08-2012 | 05:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

My new questions:
thanks again guys.
M.

By the best that you can afford. Remember, at some point you will have to resale it and the last thing you want to do is carry over the previous issues/stories/excuses...

If you wish to negotiate, base you offer on the current condition of the car PENDING PPI. Once PPI is completed and you can see the results you can then either walk, purchase or negotiate further if PPI shows issues.

Also, A/C supposedly costs a fortune to fix if it is not taking a charge....
AND, blue interior is actually desireable. Grey, tan and red are the step children of 993 interiors....

Please dont tell me you are actually still considering the #2 car??
Old 11-08-2012 | 06:15 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Mdude, I have a call in to Laura right now, waiting for call back.
TCS, really? Blue Int! Maybe because the one I saw was kinda beat it just put on a bad taste. I had no idea that was so sought after. I have looked at EVERY 993 in the classifieds here, Craigs, Autotrader...for many many months now. I guess I'm not so much in a rush as I am feeling frustrated. I'll touch back after I talk with Hergeshiemer about the ride.
Option #1 is still available and HAS had the top end rebuild, but the douche at the dealer pulled all the used car salesman tricks (ie we started at 39K, I walked, then 34K, I walked, ok, now 30,800 firm or I'm selling it to someone out of state and then shows me some deposit reciept to prove he's not lying i guess, that truned me off, pressure doesn't work for me so I walked, THEN sent me a phony e-mail from another salesman saying sorry we couldn't work together...three weeks later, it's still listed! Autohuas west in lake forest
Old 11-08-2012 | 06:32 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just a thought ... but prolly not attractive to a newbee 993 owner. Here goes..... # 3 the MY97 C2S.

For starters the coupe isn't anywhere marketable @ $36k if consistant with your discription. Its a one ownership coupe right? Sub $20K USD purchase price could be a project car for the right person. $10k doesn't go far with these cars, however when this restoration project is completed you'd have a shinny new coupe. And if the 993 value trend continues.... I'm just saying. Now don't set sail on my enthusiasim - but do check out that car if the spriit moves ya. Otherwise of the numbered choice's presented I like # 1 the narrow body MY96 coupe. Options? what are the metrics with these cars? I'm glad to play along.
Old 11-08-2012 | 07:27 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Mike, thanks for your thoughts. I spent the last 6yrs on a custom 1951 International Pick up truck, chopped, dropped, custom studebaker grill, brand new 383 stroker/350trans, air shocks, paint, it's badassss, fastest truck in Fullerton...and it's FOR SALE by the way. Sooo, I'm done with projects at the moment.

I just talked with Laura at Hergeshiemer, she says she knows #2 this two tone interior car and has nothing bad to say about it other than it's worth 25K! Says it's not uncommon for a car to be in a fender bender and should be happy the owner came right out with it, it's the people that don't tell you who are the ones you have to worry about. Long story boring, if I can talk him down, move forward with the PPI, if not, move on. She also mentioned a few leads on some locals whos cars havn't hit the market yet. She will call me back tmw with details.
I'm going to contact the seller tmw and try some negotiations over the phone to see how firm he's going to be?
I will report her leads or seller details as they develop
thanks again everyone.
M.
Old 11-08-2012 | 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Mdude, I have a call in to Laura right now, waiting for call back.
TCS, really? Blue Int! Maybe because the one I saw was kinda beat it just put on a bad taste. I had no idea that was so sought after. I have looked at EVERY 993 in the classifieds here, Craigs, Autotrader...for many many months now. I guess I'm not so much in a rush as I am feeling frustrated. I'll touch back after I talk with Hergeshiemer about the ride.
Option #1 is still available and HAS had the top end rebuild, but the douche at the dealer pulled all the used car salesman tricks (ie we started at 39K, I walked, then 34K, I walked, ok, now 30,800 firm or I'm selling it to someone out of state and then shows me some deposit reciept to prove he's not lying i guess, that truned me off, pressure doesn't work for me so I walked, THEN sent me a phony e-mail from another salesman saying sorry we couldn't work together...three weeks later, it's still listed! Autohuas west in lake forest
I understand your fustration. My good friend is also looking for a nice used 993 for under 30k....... we have been combing all over. To the point he is now looking a 964 porsches to better suit his budget. He is looking really hard night and day as this obession is in all of us
Old 11-08-2012 | 08:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default low priced 993

no affiation

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item46093257a2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...t_32522wt_1182
Old 11-08-2012 | 08:19 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike, thanks for your thoughts. I spent the last 6yrs on a custom 1951 International Pick up truck, chopped, dropped, custom studebaker grill, brand new 383 stroker/350trans, air shocks, paint, it's badassss, fastest truck in Fullerton...and it's FOR SALE by the way. Sooo, I'm done with projects at the moment.
For202fly - now,,, come clean with a few pictures of the '51.

Any of us Atlanta area folk .. would be willing to take a first look at a 993 prospect. Good luck in your search. Many Rennlister's know the 993 series well, very well.
Again good luck, the 993 series is one of the great 911s.
Old 11-08-2012 | 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It would take a very extenuating circumstance to consider buying a 993 from 99.9% of the independent dealers on the planet, assuming that is the type who is offering #1.
Old 11-09-2012 | 11:52 AM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It would take a very extenuating circumstance to consider buying a 993 from 99.9% of the independent dealers on the planet, assuming that is the type who is offering #1.
I tend to agree!
Take your time (it took me 5 months of constant searching) from private parties.
You are looking for a guy who loves and has tended to his car, and both the car and records reflect said love.
I saw and drove well kept and not so well kept, low and higher mileage cars (34K-83K) and wound up with a well documented 70K mi. car from an enthusiast, with records and a very well kept vehicle.
A PPI proved what my other senses were screaming.
Good luck and enjoy the search...For me it was half the fun and excitement. The other half is each and every time I drive my car.

Quick Reply: questions about my hunt for a 993