Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's gonna be pretty !
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Originally Posted by Coyote
Good point on the repaint - hadn't thought of that- Makes a ton of sense. I once covered the entire front half of an '06 Boxster S when I first got it. It was nice to have it protected but it always bugged me for some reason - didnt feel right. Chips happen, it's just part of driving a car. I don't think I'd do it again. I'm over it. I do think it helped with resale however...
Phil advises against it in my case based on the primer and paint he uses is very flexible and resistant to dings. As I said earlier in this post, his BMW front bumper cover shows no dings with over four years of driving as it was prepared in a similar fashion. Still I may put a clear bra on anyway. But not for a few months.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is looking very nice.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I just got my front end done and I'm doing the clear bra for sure, waiting for paint curing to be on safe side. If your drive lots of highways, attend driving tours and esp track days, the front end will be trashed pretty fast on a black car. If a garage queen with low miles annually that's a diff story.

They've come a long way from the earlier orange peel finish 3M days. All about the installer too!

http://www.xpel.ca/products/xpel_ult...ction_film.asp
The following users liked this post:
Copperhead37 (01-25-2020)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Hood Complete

Looks like another week! BUT I must say the work being done by Phil and Dave is exceptional. He is cutting no corners with wet sanding and three stages of polishing. My Iphone picture does not do the hood justice. Simply Amazing!
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the clear bra works and I've used it on an original paint car but if it's already been repainted I dont see the point. you can repaint it again if it were a problem. Staying off the highway helps.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Alex -
Man,,, I'm digg'in the before pictures! Those particular front, side and rear spoilers fit the classic body style well. Me thinks it looks great. Looks every bit the part of a hot rod Porsche 911, not like my sleeper production stock C2S, but you're ditching the RS spoilers??? Are ya going for the absolute classic asthetic?
Either way what's not to like with a 993 coupe with an all factory production look.

Good luck with the through re-paint.

I too like the before images :-)

I can only image how nice the after is gonna be. Nice job Alex, I'm glad you're taking good care of her.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Mike

Originally Posted by Mike Andrews
I too like the before images :-)

I can only image how nice the after is gonna be. Nice job Alex, I'm glad you're taking good care of her.
Thanks for the comments Mike. It is definitely a lot of fun taking such a nice car and restoring the exterior to better than new. I love the car and hope to keep her for years to come.

Also I will take pictures of the repaint in the same spot as the before pictures and post side by side to see if it is a noticeable difference here.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Gasket Installed

Originally Posted by wolfturbo
Bella1,
When the fender/cowl bolt was removed to loosen the fender to get the gasket out did you notice a weld? Also, please let us know how difficult or easy it was getting the new gasket in.

New paint, what a treat! A front end with no road rash.
I watched Phil insert the gasket this AM. He uses a teflon wedge to open the gap in the trunk area. He says you must remove the hood to properly insert the wedge. Then with soapy water and a rubber hammer, he gently taps the gasket into place. Of course, prior to that, he loosened that bolt!
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Painted and Being Assembled!

Tomorrow Pick Up Day!!!
Attached Images       
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had my SC repainted Pacific Blau, I had five coats of clear applied allowing enough material to take out any roll or peel. Your car will look great after it is blocked and polished!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Malibu101
Advanced

So have you picked up the car???
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

Why did you buy a US bumper set and have the bumperettes removed? Is that cheaper than buying a Euro one?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Australia

Originally Posted by Malibu101
So have you picked up the car???
How about that! My progress is being watched around the world. Things always take longer and this is no exception. Some sunroof issues were handled Friday. The felt looks great but a special nut had been stripped previously so it had to be ordered. Saturday I worked along with Phil to put on the right side skirt and Phil put on the two rock guards. Today he and Dave were supposed to really attack the rest of the car and I have not called or visited so as to not cause any delay. I will stop in first thing tomorrow AM and now it looks like Wednesday at the earliest.

Be patient I keep telling myself!

12/18/2012 Today could be delivery day!
Attached Images     

Last edited by bella1; 12-18-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Adding Tuesday AM Pics
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Euro

Originally Posted by UserA
Why did you buy a US bumper set and have the bumperettes removed? Is that cheaper than buying a Euro one?
Well Phil had a used rear for $550 and already black with no damage and the front was $1100. I did not price a Euro nor did I try to find one. The rear metal bumper is a Euro rear as there is no place for the bumperettes to attach.

Last edited by bella1; 12-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Repainting my 1997 993