Sponsored by:

Repainting my 1997 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bumper Cover Euro Work

The front and rear are almost ready for primer. The front is new and Dave at Eurofinish has placed an insert from a damaged bumper cover where the bumperette holes are located. The work is awesome. Same for the used rear bumper cover where the holes have been filled. When painted you will never know a hole exisited! Car going to paint booth next week.
Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm always in awe of teir one craftsmenship.... bring money O yeah but not always. High quality work is getting harder to find....

Good luck with the project.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Correct

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I'm always in awe of teir one craftsmenship.... bring money O yeah but not always. High quality work is getting harder to find....

Good luck with the project.
You are right about hard to find. I guess most are not passionate enough to put in the time to learn how it is done. Now I just have to keep others from damaging me when I drive!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I ask why you did not remove the front fenders? The seal between the fender and the centre cowl has to be removed, would it not be easier to remove the fender?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

You can remove the seal without removing the fender.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A great paint job all depends on the preparation of the surface even before the paint is applied. Hours of sanding and filling, priming and sanding, only to be repeated again before the panels are primed and painted. Additional coats of clearcoat will allow for a good final color sanding and polish to a deep dead flat finish. This type of craftsmanship requires a shop with skilled people with the patience to do things correctly. Your progress looks great!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. I have to say I thought the car looked pretty good in the "before" pictures.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
You are right about hard to find. I guess most are not passionate enough to put in the time to learn how it is done. Now I just have to keep others from damaging me when I drive!
Do you plan to put an invisible bra in the front? It will absolutely suck to get a rock chip the next week...
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Seals

Originally Posted by doberdog
Can I ask why you did not remove the front fenders? The seal between the fender and the centre cowl has to be removed, would it not be easier to remove the fender?
They have been removed as you can see from the beginning photos. There is a bolt that holds the front fender to the cowl. This is loosened to remove that rubber strip. After painting, we insert the rubber and then tighten the bolt.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

What paint brand are they going to use, Glasurit, PPG, other?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Hey

I am at VIR thru Sunday. Thanks for the comments and I will get the paint and primer info from Phil next week for those who have an interest. From the prior pictures, the paint does look good. Up close was a different story. Black can be deceiving from a distance.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Monday Update

Bumper covers primed and car wet sanded 400 grit. One more wet sand with 600 and then into the paint booth in a few days. Answers to some questions:

1) I am being advised against a clear bra as the bumper cover and aero parts are being sprayed with 8590 Primer with a Flex Agent. Phil has an older BMW painted in the same manner and his front end shows no rock chips after several years. Still I may put a clear bra on it but after three months at least.

2) Paint used is Spies Hecker where the Base Coat will be Black and then the Clear will be 8035 Spies Hecker Clear.
Attached Images      
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for the paint info. I just had my wheels painted as they had road rash from the previous owner. Altough my car is a Cabriolet it has Targa stock wheels. The paint they used was Glasurit. They came out nice. Looking forward to see your car finished.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
They have been removed as you can see from the beginning photos. There is a bolt that holds the front fender to the cowl. This is loosened to remove that rubber strip. After painting, we insert the rubber and then tighten the bolt.
Bella1,
When the fender/cowl bolt was removed to loosen the fender to get the gasket out did you notice a weld? Also, please let us know how difficult or easy it was getting the new gasket in.

New paint, what a treat! A front end with no road rash.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Fender

Originally Posted by wolfturbo
Bella1,
When the fender/cowl bolt was removed to loosen the fender to get the gasket out did you notice a weld? Also, please let us know how difficult or easy it was getting the new gasket in.

New paint, what a treat! A front end with no road rash.
No it was not welded. Phil showed me the bolt. On the drivers side, the hex/torx bolt was actually rounded out. So he had to remove the door to back it out. He replaced with new hex/torx bolt. I have seen the old and new gasket. Under the round bead is a flat part that goes between the two metal parts. It looks like it would slide in easily but I will ask

Quick Reply: Repainting my 1997 993