Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tartan Seats In!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work. Majority of 993 interiors are too plain. Wouldn't mind seeing this first hand!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Make yourself a matching Kilt with the fabric also.

Love your entusiasm Michael. Care little for others opinion, your the only one that's gotta be happy with the outcome.
Thanks. I have really bonded with this car. I have spent quite a few weekends under it, fixing stuff, doing maintenance, problem solving, breaking stuff. The car just appeals to me. It drives like a little tank, it sounds great, it looks great. It even looks awesome filthy which is a sign to me of great design. It has history, drama, beauty. The air cooled 911s are it for me.

So now I need to keep working on my laundry list of issues before it gets blindingly cold in my garage. Or invest in a heater. Any suggestions from the folks who live in cold climates? My friend tells me to get a propane heater.
--Michael
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Thanks. I have really bonded with this car. I have spent quite a few weekends under it, fixing stuff, doing maintenance, problem solving, breaking stuff. The car just appeals to me. It drives like a little tank, it sounds great, it looks great. It even looks awesome filthy which is a sign to me of great design. It has history, drama, beauty. The air cooled 911s are it for me.

So now I need to keep working on my laundry list of issues before it gets blindingly cold in my garage. Or invest in a heater. Any suggestions from the folks who live in cold climates? My friend tells me to get a propane heater.
--Michael
How big is the garage, and what energy sources are available?

Propane is always available, if you can put the tank outside safetly and/or attractively

Electric

Natural Gas

There are many types of space heaters of all sizes available. I put a 30KW natural gas heater out in my shed. It's 16'x24', vaulted ceiling in most of it...slab on grade, but very well insulated. The cost for the units is neglectible between Natural Gas and Propane. The propane would have been cheaper for me to install, since I had 80' of underground Natural gas line to run between buildings, etc. I simply didn't want to build a surround for the 100 gal or so propane tank.

The electric units can be fairly inexpensive to buy, but $$ to operate depending on your electric rates.

So...garage size?...insulated?...gas, electric, etc?

gotta have heat, then a stereo, then a mini fridge...etc
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool looking.
You should take it to a new level, and wrap the whole car....
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

--Michael
I've got a propane bullet heater. it works OK in a pinch, but it is loud and I'm not sure the CO level in the garage is safe after awhile. I use it to melt ice off my snowmobiles in the winter while the 911 sleeps.

If you can swing a ceiling mounted natural gas unit it would be better. Vent the combustion gas outdoors.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
How big is the garage, and what energy sources are available?

Propane is always available, if you can put the tank outside safetly and/or attractively

Electric

Natural Gas

There are many types of space heaters of all sizes available. I put a 30KW natural gas heater out in my shed. It's 16'x24', vaulted ceiling in most of it...slab on grade, but very well insulated. The cost for the units is neglectible between Natural Gas and Propane. The propane would have been cheaper for me to install, since I had 80' of underground Natural gas line to run between buildings, etc. I simply didn't want to build a surround for the 100 gal or so propane tank.

The electric units can be fairly inexpensive to buy, but $$ to operate depending on your electric rates.

So...garage size?...insulated?...gas, electric, etc?

gotta have heat, then a stereo, then a mini fridge...etc
Thanks for the info. Garage is uninsulated and a single car unit unattached to the house and off the alley with the big door opening north.
--Michael
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful.
Sonny1.

BUOTE=XavierLaFlamme;9972693]That's probably true and makes sense. I just like the look. I was inspired by 80s era VW GTI interiors as well as some pics I saw once of a VW camper with a brown on beige tartan.
--Michael[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

As requested, a pic of the car with the blue wheels I bought from CarreraX.
Dirty and with no center caps.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm diggin it and good to hear you are smitten. I use a 220VAC heater in my double unit - works well for me and no fumes to worry about. Previous garage I used - I was donated an old carpet and that made a difference in the winter. Keep 'em coming.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ilko
Do the rear seats as well.
+1... I think it needs continuation, def do the rears.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
cmd4
Pro

Love it....reminds me of my 76 westy back in the day.seen a few new gti's with it from the factory and think it's great on them too
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Xavier LF-

Kudos to you for daring to dabble... I dig it. Agreed on matching the rears, and maybe the doors too - just the inserts, not the whole cards.

Originally Posted by cmd4
Love it....reminds me of my 76 westy back in the day.seen a few new gti's with it from the factory and think it's great on them too
Jah mon! My '76 had this bitchin green / orange / yellow Tartan:

Here's the '74 Paris Auto Show 930 mit Tartan lolipops and doors - totally cool:

WOW... I really dig this whoever did it - matching shift **** / ebrake handle to boot - noice:

I esp dig the alcantara dash and door tops - I've been sitting in mine plotting out my 'redux' plan and am leaning toward that way...

btw Xavier - your roof cage cracks me up - totally gnarly lookin... very cool...
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the info. Garage is uninsulated and a single car unit unattached to the house and off the alley with the big door opening north.
--Michael
Do you own the place? If you do, then insulate the garage first if you can, install a ceiling fan too.

pic of my ceiling mounted natural gas heater below.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Benton
Drifting

Did you do the door cards yourself? If so, was it relatively easy?
--Michael
Yes, I did the work. "Easy" is inherently relative, so I can't say how it may come to you, but it is not a difficult process. The difficulty in upholstery, and doing a flat door card is about as easy as it gets for upholstery, is keeping the patterns aligned cutting correctly to bunch/stretch fabric in areas, patience, and attention to detail. The tartan extended to the rear quarter door cards and lower rear deck as well so it all had to align.

Thanks for the compliments. The tartan interior, for me, was a bit of an expedient solution for an interior that had seen better days. My marble gray leather and carpet looked miserable, so I had to do something on a budget until I could afford a full interior redo. I had the tartan for about 3-4 years and now the car is back in a million pieces to go the whole nine yards.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Check out page 57 in the latest (Dec.) Excellence. the RUF RT-35 has plaid seats

Quick Reply: Tartan Seats In!!!!!