Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

FDM SSK/Goldenrod...Another Satisfied Customer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Just wondering how many miles were on your original parts before you replaced them.

Usually replacing worn parts with any new parts provides a huge improvement.
Especially when they are made with metal joints rather than rubbery ones.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Especially when they are made with metal joints rather than rubbery ones.
The OEM units are a type of plastic (not rubber) in a metal cup and seem to work well till, like everything, they wear out. At 47.5K miles, they still seem to be shifting fine.

Rod ends are great and last as long as they are greased and are kept clean. Its why they aren't used in street set-ups in suspension arms. There is a company that makes countless sized and shaped rubber dust boots for them.

Found the link...Seals It. If I used a rod end bearing, I'd cover it with one of those.

Last edited by IXLR8; 12-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

dang it all, what a waste of money. Thanks for settinhg us straight.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

dang it all, what a waste of money. Thanks for setting us straight.
I never said that.

Usually things always work a lot better after a "worn out" part is replaced. Sort of like "I replaced those crappy Porsche control arm bushings (that were worn out) and the car handles so much better". I never knew Porsches handled so poorly right from the factory.

Anyway, lets get some answers to the original question...how many miles?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed my SSK & G-Rod last Tuesday...now it shifts like a dream. My C4 has 53,xxx miles and the shifting was getting a little 'vague'..as in hard to find the gate sometimes. Notchy, too. Now the shift lever finds the gates like a bird dog on the scent. Only issue for us AWD owners is that the center under-tray can't be reinstalled w/o pounding a dimple into it to create some add'l room under the shift mechanism. Not a big deal and real easy once I put some heat to the metal under-tray before deforming it with a ball peen hammer.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I never said that.

Usually things always work a lot better after a "worn out" part is replaced. Sort of like "I replaced those crappy Porsche control arm bushings (that were worn out) and the car handles so much better". I never knew Porsches handled so poorly right from the factory.

It's not only miles Alex
Time takes it's toll on rubber and the nylon cups. The grease softens the cups over the years and they can and do fail... Leaving you stranded.

Anyhow, pretty sure you've chewed on this bone plenty in the past.
Carry on with your agenda
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

I never said that.

I got called out for being a wise ***. Alright, everything you said is true Alex...the plastics vs rubber, etc. However the upgrade offers benefits that are palpable...and even if I imagine it all...I am in ignorant bliss. The many people who have made the upgrade and agree with me can't all be as gullable as me.

Adios
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I got called out for being a wise ***. Alright, everything you said is true Alex...the plastics vs rubber, etc.
Andy, you missed the point. Its not about any component or product. Its about consumers being amazed that something new and not worn out works better. Well of course it will. In the case of solid joints in a shift kit or solid engine/transmission mounts, the feel will be far more direct...at the expense of other factors that some Rennlisters have already mentioned, noise, harshness, vibration, etc.

For example, we'd read countless threads on control arm bushings; some even admitted to the old ones being totally at end-of-life. The laughable part is that the aftermarket item was so much better. Well of course it is, if it is replacing a worn out item. I bet when my control arm bushings go and I replace them with OEM, I'll have the same hassle-free, long term performance that Porsche is known for.

And before anyone goes off on a tangent re sponsor bashing, a local 993er who recently installed PU control arm bushings complained to me that they were making squeaking/groaning noise when going over bumps. Giving the producer of those bushings the benefit of the doubt, I told the owner to check his sway bar rubber bushings and to lube them with silicone grease first.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Speaking of tangents... How about starting another thread since you have taken this one way off it's original topic.

Merry Christmas, Alex!
Hope you and your family have a good one.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Its about consumers being amazed that something new and not worn out works better.
Well, not really. It is part about the tremendous satisfaction of having something that works like new (don't think anyone here is really dumb enough to be surprised that this is the case, though I was surprised at how big the difference was), and it is part about a pretty distinct change/improvement in performance over an original set up. Since I went from 15 year old stock set of parts to new parts including the short shift, I am happy on both counts.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

The FD SSK / GR is a great modification.

IXLR8 =
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
The FD SSK / GR is a great modification.

IXLR8 =
Cool.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Santa

I asked Santa for the SS and goldenrod. I think he got it but have to wait a few more days! Not sure I asked for the two seals. Where do you get those?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

You may have to wait...he probably has it hooked to the reindeer...they have a much better, crisper gait I hear! (Big improvement!)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I had FDM install mine when the car had 28K miles on it .. nothing was worn out and the shifting felt good. The difference is night and day IMHO .. shifter sits a bit higher which I've found I prefer and the feel is snickety-snick, crisp, precise and short .. exactly what you'd expect. BIG improvement over the stock setup.

Quick Reply: FDM SSK/Goldenrod...Another Satisfied Customer!