Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best product to clean the "gunk" in the wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Best product to clean the "gunk" in the wheel wells?

removed my rear wheels to change the tires and decide i need to do a little cleaning inside the wheel wells. There is some really think "gunk" built up in there. I tried scraping with a plastic spatula and it does come off, but I wonder what anyone has used to scrub things clean after scraping. Simple Green?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Paging Andreas...

Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like "Purple Stuff" degreaser/cleaner. I buy it at Walmart around $8 gallon and use it full strength. I found it to be safe on paint, although I always spray water around any painted areas that I'm concerned with getting any on. I've used it all around the engine compartment and it rinses clean with no residue. It's the best wheel cleaner I've found. There's alot of cleaners out there, but this stuff for the money works pretty good.
Oh, you will get carried away so be prepared.
Randy
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I use cleaners and my trusty pressure washer - (before it was stolen - :-( ). The first cleaning is the worse by far, then it gets much better if you keep on top of it.

Sometimes tar gets in there - and that can cause issues since its often really hard to clean off. I sometimes use a product called "Tumbler" - its designed to strip wax/debris off paint as part of paint shop prep. There are lots of of other cleaners out there (like Xenit) which people use.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/Po...echnical-Stuff
Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
I tried scraping with a plastic spatula and it does come off, but I wonder what anyone has used to scrub things clean after scraping.
Forget the scraping aspect as that could damage the factory undercoating if you are not careful.

I performed quite a few Xenit Cleaner & Remover and rinsing applications to get the goo off and then used Facto AT30 to remove the oily film that was left behind. No spatulas; just a 1" paint brush and toothbrush.

It worked reasonably well...

More underside detailing pics.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks guys. I just found a bunch of old threads and it looks like Xenit is used by a lot of guys with good results. I will order some and give it a try.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use some forumla 66 degreaser, let it sit and a brush
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

simple green
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
JMR
Instructor

I used gasoline in a spray bottle, a few brushes, and a million rags. It worked.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

This is what I did:

Spray the wheel well with lots of water. Spray simply green and let it soak for a good 5 minutes. Using the tootch brush to brush the hard to reach area. For the larger area, I use sponge.

After it is semi clean, I tackle it with Xenit. Let the Xenit sit for another good 5 mintues before I use scroth brite to lightly scrub it. Wash it again, and dry it and wax it.

That is the step I did mine.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Funny, I orded some Xenit and used it - it did nothing that simple green could not do, even less. Perhaps I am missing something, why is this stuff considered so hot?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Funny, I orded some Xenit and used it - it did nothing that simple green could not do, even less. Perhaps I am missing something, why is this stuff considered so hot?
Mike, maybe Simple Green makes various products, but the product from them that I once used a long time ago that was claimed to be a degreaser, wasn't very good.

That was back in the 80s and since I started using Facto AT30 back in 1986, I haven't bothered with anything else. But it being water-based, it doesn't remove waxy products as well as Xenit or kerosene.

Edited to add: I just went to the Simple Green site. Nobody seems to specify the Simple Green product that they use and I found that they carry "Extreme Simple Green®
Aircraft & Precision Cleaner
" which...

Extreme Simple Green®, Simple Green’s aircraft and precision cleaning product, cuts through tough, built up grease, oil, dirt, pollution, insect residue and impact soils. We’ve found no other cleaning product on the market that matches Extreme Simple Green’s cleaning performance. Yet, it causes no harm to structural metals, plastics, paints, or coatings. Extreme’s non-corrosive formula makes it ideal for parts washing, too.

Has anyone use this specific product?

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Forget the scraping aspect as that could damage the factory undercoating if you are not careful.

I performed quite a few Xenit Cleaner & Remover and rinsing applications to get the goo off and then used Facto AT30 to remove the oily film that was left behind. No spatulas; just a 1" paint brush and toothbrush.

It worked reasonably well...

More underside detailing pics.
Just looked at the pics in your link "underside detailing pics" - Wow, very impressive. I need to clean mine, but no way I could I get it as nice as yours.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
Just looked at the pics in your link "underside detailing pics" - Wow, very impressive. I need to clean mine, but no way I could I get it as nice as yours.
That is only a preliminary cleaning. Its just more fun working on something that is clean. Its also easier to spot issues. It was also a get-to-know-your-car exercise and to see what I really ended up buying. No surprises!

As my 993 is a toy, I treat it like my motorcycles that are toys. Two of my motorcycles that are used on multi-week tours don't/can't be kept as clean...same for the daily driver car.

Quick Reply: Best product to clean the "gunk" in the wheel wells?