Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best suspension set up for street

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My C2S has PSS10's with stock sways. I'm also located in San Diego and would be happy to have you drive my car to get an idea of the ride. PM me and let's go.

Nick
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD's/MO30's, lowered between RS and Sport. For my style of driving, which is 100% street, its a great set up. My car handles extremely well in the twists and turns of mountains. Have to include mountain driving when I live in the mountains.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow I had no idea I would get such a response..... Thank you! I've been on the fence with the kw and the pss10 with the sways. I was wondering if I needed drop links etc.......
When I took my gt3 in to RSS they just threw all there products on my car and wow the handling just went from great to fantastic.
I think it's going to take some fine tuning to get the car to feel the way I want it too.....
Again thanks for all the responses
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My Suspension setup….

KW v3 Coilovers
RS Swaybars
RS Front Drop links
FD custom Rear Drop links
Walrod Bushing
RS Wheel Carriers
RS Toe links
Rennline Solid SubFrame Mounts
RS Motor Mounts
RS Ride height
Corner Balanced and Aligned
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Very difficult to quantify what is "best" everyone has there own opinion, and needs/desires.

clearly there is a vast selection and with all the aftermarket and OEM parts, the options are pretty much limitless. It is very valuable to get opinions from the vast wealth of knowledge and experience that the board has to offer.

I personally enjoy reading everyone's suspension suggestions, what works, and more so, what didn't work.

It sounds like you had great success with RSS for your GT-3, I would follow that path.
For most street drivers, adjustability is overkill, but it sounds like in your case, it would be warranted.

From what I have read the normal progression is:
1: shocks and springs: Bilstein, KW, etc... M030, H&R, Eibach
2. Sways: M030,RS, Euro Turbo, H&R, Tarrett, etc...
3: From this point, you are getting into more dedicated track set ups, and beyond MY expertise, but there are lots on this board that can help.

GL

Not sure where exactly in So Cal you are but, West End Alignment in Gardena is regarded as one of the best Porsche Alignment shops around, Darin is a great guy (worked at Johnson's for many years and did all the Porsches) so when you need an alignment, I highly recommend taking it to Darin.

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My PSS9's have nearly 100K on them (all street) and have been fantastic. The TRG sway bars however are terrible. I have the larger one's and they are too big (and heavy). They but up against the brake booster (I think that's what it is)....either way will ultimately replace them with real RS bars.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on your request, Koni FSD and Porsche M033 springs (ROW lower, but not too low). Total package was just over $1,000 through Tire Rack for the shocks and Sunset for the springs.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
My PSS9's have nearly 100K on them (all street) and have been fantastic. The TRG sway bars however are terrible. I have the larger one's and they are too big (and heavy). They but up against the brake booster (I think that's what it is)....either way will ultimately replace them with real RS bars.
These have really been durable shocks and we've had VERY few issues with them. Bilstein's warranty makes them a solid-gold product.

Totally concur about the TRG bars; these are best suited for race cars and FAR too big for street use. RS bars are a much better choice, plus they use rubber bushings which retain ride quality and require no on-going maintenance like the others do.

BTW,....great seeing you again up here!!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM
JZ98-993
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Im interested in this thread since I've just begun a similar investigation, no one has seemed to mention the H&R street performance coilovers, any expierience good or bad with them?

Also, the PO installed TRG bars on my car. What different would I notice around town if I removed them with a less aggressive setup such as the turbo or M030? It seems like these sways don't get positive reviews and I'm wondering why
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

hmmmmm.... from what i heard the H&R is a little rough on the streets. It's better to get the PSS10 is the info im getting. on that note... anyone selling there PSS10?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_porsche
hmmmmm.... from what i heard the H&R is a little rough on the streets. It's better to get the PSS10 is the info im getting. on that note... anyone selling there PSS10?
I have the PSS10s on my TT and my brother has a C4S that came with H&R coilovers and H&R sways.

It could be the sways but the H&Rs are definitely more rougher on the streets, definitely tolerable but again it depends where you live. I'd say overall Vancouver roads are better than some other cities.

The handling is very tight and responsive for both setups, however I'm thinking the H&Rs must have a higher spring rate vs PSS10s.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Bilstein HD, H&R sport springs and stock sways. Height is about ROW sport -10 and it was aligned and corner balances at Pat Williams Racing. It's good for street, but on the track, some adjustability and more stiffness would be nice. I'll probably add RS sways, despite their being overpriced. I thought somebody else would come out with a cheaper alternative, but it doesn't look like it. I think the best bet would be PSS10 or KW V3, either with springs matched to your setup. You can also get Bilsteins custom valved, a good idea if you are so inclined.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Looking up prices for the RS sways..... does anybody need to buy a kidney......? BC I think I need to start selling one to get them
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
These have really been durable shocks and we've had VERY few issues with them. Bilstein's warranty makes them a solid-gold product.

Totally concur about the TRG bars; these are best suited for race cars and FAR too big for street use. RS bars are a much better choice, plus they use rubber bushings which retain ride quality and require no on-going maintenance like the others do.

BTW,....great seeing you again up here!!
Great to see you also Steve. And P.S. - you ARE a drug dealer!!! My car is now addicted to 100 Octane @ $8.99/gl..WOW WOW WOW! But mind you with 91 here in San Diego @ > $5.00/gl it's worth it.

I'm dreaming of a no compromise 3.9l. Do you do layaway?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Great to see you also Steve. And P.S. - you ARE a drug dealer!!! My car is now addicted to 100 Octane @ $8.99/gl..WOW WOW WOW! But mind you with 91 here in San Diego @ > $5.00/gl it's worth it.
I'll accept that compliment,...

[QUOTE
I'm dreaming of a no compromise 3.9l. Do you do layaway?[/QUOTE]
We could work something out,...

Quick Reply: Best suspension set up for street