Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Dismantlers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 AM
car
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple example. I needed an ABS 5 pump the other week for my 96 C2 with ABD. LAD had several, all at $1000 on eBay. I found a perfectly good one from another dismantler for $400, and he *called* me to make sure I got it, and that I was happy with it. He knew the car it had come out of, down to the S/N. He also sent it next day for minimal cost. If LAD have something you want, and they are the only ones that have it, then pay the price. If not, keep looking, you will find it for a lot less.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll do you one better. Here's LAPD's current 993 inventory on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

Show me parts that you think are priced attractively. Perhaps, it's beat up rear bumperette for $65, single Cup 2 wheel for $290 or the great Nokia amplifier for affordable $299.99? Used rear OEM shocks for $300? 4-spoke airbag doe $450? Speedometer for $500? Soft top cover (non-leather) for $580?

This oddness for $650 taht doesn't solicit any other response besides WTF??: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...item27cb391cdc
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
car
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, I think it is worth taking into consideration where the car/parts come from. Even though they are from CA, LA (heat, and stop/go/slow traffic) and SF city (hills kill clutch, brakes, and transmissions and engines never warm up before working hard) cars tend to have very hard lives. That's just me, not a knock on anyone else.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I suspect the OP had good intentions but hard to sway folks from a history of issues.

Is there a directory that someone has already compiled of porsche dismantlers to make the effort of "shopping" for a used part a bit easier.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

"PS. Did they provide documentation of the mileage on that engine? Did you price that engine anywhere else?"

yes...they did.

regarding pricing engine elsewhere...there were no turbo s engines elsewhere...

how common is it to find a turbo s engine for sale einstein?

only a few regular turbos...miles ranging from 40-80Ks...for roughly same price.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Im currently dealing with them on returning my order that was the wrong parts.
Im now screwed with shipping the parts both ways! No help from them.

And one of the parts they sent me was a 20.00 part new and they charged me 100.00 used?!

If the staff were more knowledgable on what they were taking apart and replacement values perhaps customer service would be better.

FYI it has been over a year trying to send back these damn parts with no help from L.A.

Depending on how my refund is handled i may or may not use them again.
My indy warned me.... and i didnt listen...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Only experience was asking if they had a used 964/993 cooling fan for a project, condition was not important.

The reply was "we have several, for one in average condition it is $600 plus shipping"

I could buy a new one for $425.00 at the time.

No reason to ever try them again.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
I get amused when I hear comments like "should be priced according to condition." I don't mean to sound judgmental, though I guess I am. In any event, I hope the following explains my reasoning:

Imagine you are the owner of a business that offers only new parts, with a parts inventory of literally thousands of parts, the sale of which is essentially delegated to a parts counter. Just maintaining parts at a market price would be difficult, but certainly would be handled by a good accounting system.

Now imagine that for every part there are scores (or hundreds) of such parts in varying conditions. The task of differentiating would be overwhelming. It would have to be delegated at some level to employees, because it would be physically impossible for one (or two) persons to review every part. In the final analysis, the pricing would be set and perhaps subject to negotiation if you felt the condition didn't warrant the price.

But to be critical of a fundamental business plan seems pretty disingenuous at best. No one forced me to deal with LAD. I took a chance on them and have kept going back. Others have reacted similarly and others differently. As I said before, LAD sells used parts in a wide continuum of condition. Many of us recognize LAD as a go-to source. Others walk away. To each his own. I just think that many folks fail to differentiate the fundamental business from the usual businesses we encounter, because almost everything we buy is new or negotiated if used. If this seems strange, just compare the prices at Sunset Porsche (a great resource) with prices at your local dealer.

Again, just a satisfied customer that feels badly that good people get slammed for the way they run their business.
You seem oddly interested in defending this business. If people want to hate on LAD, let them, what business is it of yours?

Are you SURE you're not affiliated with them or receiving any sort of compensation for this? Because quite frankly...it smells.

Originally Posted by msw
"PS. Did they provide documentation of the mileage on that engine? Did you price that engine anywhere else?"

yes...they did.

regarding pricing engine elsewhere...there were no turbo s engines elsewhere...

how common is it to find a turbo s engine for sale einstein?

only a few regular turbos...miles ranging from 40-80Ks...for roughly same price.
If we are talking North American motors here, there is no differentiation between a turbo S and a standard turbo motor. The only difference is in the ECU.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM
msw
Racer

'If we are talking North American motors here, there is no differentiation between a turbo S and a standard turbo motor. The only difference is in the ECU.'

correct quad...mileage/price had me sold. and the other option of selling the s ecu to offset cost of engine....have heard original s ecu fetches a premium.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by msw

correct quad...mileage/price had me sold. and the other option of selling the s ecu to offset cost of engine....have heard original s ecu fetches a premium.
I remember you got a good deal on that motor, and the leakdown was good, so there are deals to be had, you just have to do your due diligence.

The S ecu is worth maybe $1k more than the standard one, so there is some value there also.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM
msw
Racer

sold my regular turbo ecu for about 2k on this board

yes....dyno results were great

fwiw kevin at umw felt premium for s ecu more than 1k
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Relax people! Vote with your wallet.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by msw
sold my regular turbo ecu for about 2k on this board

yes....dyno results were great

fwiw kevin at umw felt premium for s ecu more than 1k
hmm, maybe I got a good deal, i picked mine up from a rennlister for $1,500, sold my stocker for $700 or so.

That said, I'm surprised Kevin feels that way.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
msw
Racer

'hmm, maybe I got a good deal,...'

yes you did imo. i was very surprised to get close to 2k for stock ecu...but went to member in australia.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Less we forget. LAD are pimping these 'professionally upholstered' monstrosities for an eye watering $7K. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from these jokers. There are LOADS of other Porsche specialized breakers in the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...679043&vxp=mtr
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: LA Dismantlers