Sponsored by:

LA Dismantlers

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LA Dismantlers

This is a sorta long post in support of LA Dismantlers (nee LA Porsche Dismantlers). My name is Sid and I approve this post (with apologies for its length).

I have dealt with and visited with the folks at LA Dismantlers and want to share my history and thoughts. Those of you who have had negative experiences may want to re-exam them in the context of the kind of services provided by LAD (i.e., selling used parts from wrecked cars). Those of you who have not had a relationship but who know someone who knows someone may want to be a bit more considerate before criticizing LAD without personal involvement. Those of you who have a bitter after-taste are certainly free to harbor or share those thoughts.

I first became aware of LAD in 2005 when I started sliding down the costly slope. I purchased non-mechanical parts from LAD and once “toured” their facility, and visited with Todd. My experience with “automobile wrecking yards” hardly prepared me for the scope of the operation at LAD. It is huge and orderly and one can only wonder at the parts inventory represented by hundreds of 911s, and the volume of calls that they must receive and orders that they must fill.

As a small business owner I have always been aware of fulfillment problems and clients/customers expectations and responses. It seems to me that fulfillment problems would be greatly exacerbated dealing with used parts, and compounded even more with used mechanical parts, all of which came from cars that were “totaled” by the insurance companies.

I have found that LAD dealt with me conscientiously and courteously, and I believe they try their very best to build a satisfied customer base. I am certain that many RLers believe that pricing should be at a steep discount. I am equally certain that most want to get a bargain. The purchasing side of me would expect that since the parts came from a “wrecked” car the parts should be pretty inexpensive. The business side of me would expect that prices should be set to maximize revenue. Clearly, revenues are reduced if prices are too low or if the buyers are unhappy. Accordingly, from a business perspective prices should not be the bargain that we all would hope to get.

In short, the folks at LAD have busted their collective butts to build a successful business with a large inventory. They are not deserving of the degree of antipathy that is expressed by those who have not had personal experiences with them. Simply put, they offer a used product and we all have the opportunity to take it or leave it.

If you had a negative experience, you sure are justified in expressing your thoughts, and I believe that I can understand your frustration at unmet expectations. But the idea that LAD was trying to create a negative experience is pretty much preposterous. They sell parts from wrecked cars!

In my experience they have always been cordial, nice, and helpful. There have been times when a part is not as “newish” as I would have hoped. But the cars that are wrecked and purchased by LAD do not uniformly come from those of us who are **** about maintaining their p-cars.

On a recent personal note, I bought a 993 from Michigan, a non-smog state, and was at a loss as to how to get it approved in California. Todd was absolutely great in helping me get the car passed. For that I am very grateful. I have previously commented on others posts that my results with LAD were always favorable. This post raises that to another level, because they went out of their way to help someone that was just a name at the end of a phone call. That is the reason I suggest that many of you re-examine the reasons for your LAD-bashing. For others of you, give them a chance without relying too heavily on the criticism of others. They really do try hard to make their customers happy.

I have no connection with LAD other than as a very happy customer, and as a business owner that respects the efforts and problems in building a family-owned business that deals with the public.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Sid, this post actually reflects what I've continuously heard of LAPD for the last 8.5 years, They are OK if you deal with them in person. They are pretty far from OK if you don't.

My largest issues with them is their pricing. Which is consistently and completely out of realm of reality. Again, from what i understand the pricing is different when dealing with them in person in their shop. But that doesn't help 90% of Rennlisters. Thus I've simply stopped looking at them as a source of parts. In other words, they've lost a customer without even getting to fulfillment stage in my case.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

In fairness, I have never been a customer of LAD, but I have looked at several of their parts with a view to buy, and have always been astounded at the high prices. Sometimes close to or higher than new (Sunset for instance). Also they never seem prepared to move on the prices. No wonder they have a huge inventory. I have no reason to believe they are anything other than lovely blokes (or gals), and I am sure their parts are in great condition. I am sure they woudl shift more if they were a bit more realistic on the pricing of a 'used' part.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I too am a big fan of LA Porsche Dismantlers. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I picked up a set of Aero mirrors from them for my first 964 back in the day. I was in LA and met with one of the guys at Dan Tana's out of all places, hehe! Happy with the transaction.

I've never purchased anything to be shipped which is where most of the grief seems to come from.

As far as their prices, they do tend to be on the higher side. I recently priced out a set of Cayenne Turbo calipers for my Audi, they asked $1000 for them. I ended up getting a set for $600 from another dismantler in Boston.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ilko, who's the Boston dismantler?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

harbl911 on Ebay
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

i had a great experience w LAD in purchasing a turbo s engine w 6k miles to swap out when my original turbo engine went.

pleasant to deal with (from northern california)...priced fairly as well...excellent communication/followthrough.

if your car needs a part(s) the dealer can supply...if priced lower than LAD...then buy it.

spare me the 'LAD is so expensive.'

imo...their real value comes when you have a problem that porsche cannot help you with....like when a part is backordered 'indefinitely' or the cost is (ridiculously) prohibitive.

for those of you who have written LAD off....your opinion just may change if you develop one of those 'loophole' problems porsche has decided to abandon the customer on...and they become one of the only games in town.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

I've come across their ads many times while browsing ebay.

They don't seem to price according to condition and their pricing is way out there. No thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by msw
Sorry, their prices are unreal and over-the-top expensive. A quick search of their wares on eBay proves this to be largely true.

My one and last experience with them was when I was thinking of buying a set of Fikse FM-10's (IIRC) that ultimately proved to be the wrong offset for my 993. The guy I spoke to said "you can make anything fit if you want to". Really?? Wow, maybe I'll fit a 3.0 liter, flat 12 Ferrari mill in my 993.

<insert "douchebag" emoticon here>
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by msw
i had a great experience w LAD in purchasing a turbo s engine w 6k miles to swap out when my original turbo engine went.

pleasant to deal with (from northern california)...priced fairly as well...excellent communication/followthrough.

if your car needs a part(s) the dealer can supply...if priced lower than LAD...then buy it.

imo...their real value comes when you have a problem that porsche cannot help you with....like when a part is backordered 'indefinitely' or the cost is (ridiculously) prohibitive.

for those of you who have written LAD off....your opinion just may change if you develop one of those 'loophole' problems porsche has decided to abandon the customer on...and they become one of the only games in town.
Really? I'll definitely have to give them a try immediately after all other less expensive used parts vendors vanish from the face of the Earth.

PS. Did they provide documentation of the mileage on that engine? Did you price that engine anywhere else?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I look at their outrageous pricing-that turns me off immediately. I've always been able to find parts I need elsewhere for a lot less money.

No, they aren't personal experiences, but I do know two people who got burned on big purchases from them-one a motor. Their remedy to make the situations "right": store credit. That doesn't show a standup company to me.

Funny, how you see kudos for a few companies continually on this board-not long, just usually brief mentions of great service. I don't ever remember anyone posting a post like this about LAD-just negative vibes. That says something, IMO.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get amused when I hear comments like "should be priced according to condition." I don't mean to sound judgmental, though I guess I am. In any event, I hope the following explains my reasoning:

Imagine you are the owner of a business that offers only new parts, with a parts inventory of literally thousands of parts, the sale of which is essentially delegated to a parts counter. Just maintaining parts at a market price would be difficult, but certainly would be handled by a good accounting system.

Now imagine that for every part there are scores (or hundreds) of such parts in varying conditions. The task of differentiating would be overwhelming. It would have to be delegated at some level to employees, because it would be physically impossible for one (or two) persons to review every part. In the final analysis, the pricing would be set and perhaps subject to negotiation if you felt the condition didn't warrant the price.

But to be critical of a fundamental business plan seems pretty disingenuous at best. No one forced me to deal with LAD. I took a chance on them and have kept going back. Others have reacted similarly and others differently. As I said before, LAD sells used parts in a wide continuum of condition. Many of us recognize LAD as a go-to source. Others walk away. To each his own. I just think that many folks fail to differentiate the fundamental business from the usual businesses we encounter, because almost everything we buy is new or negotiated if used. If this seems strange, just compare the prices at Sunset Porsche (a great resource) with prices at your local dealer.

Again, just a satisfied customer that feels badly that good people get slammed for the way they run their business.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
I get amused when I hear comments like "should be priced according to condition."
Most smart shoppers usually do....pay according to condition.

When I can get a set of Cup IIs from a few sources for $400 to $600 less in better condition, they obviously do not "price according to condition". I choose to shop wisely.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dismantling business, despite what it seems, is actually pretty profitable. Especially with the current level of inventory control. That is why great majority of independent junkyards had been bought out by large corporate entities about 8-10 years ago and consolidation has not stopped.

In the case of LAPD they are trying to create their own market by buying up every available insurance write-off 993 as well as a few other models. Fortunately for us there are still a number of alternatives, mostly due to geography and LAPD's inability to spend money on buying too are out of their market.

Their pricing ranges from ridiculous to predatory when checked online ($8K sport seats, etc). I've heard from numerous people that it's not the case in face to face dealings and your example seems to prove that to be the case. But under no circumstances would I cry for them - I'm sure it's a very profitable business. By the same token I'd surmise that those that buy from LAPD over internet are not particularly aware of other alternatives. The guy above bought an engine from them... would be great to hear who else he spoke to, what pricing he got, etc. But I doubt it's forthcoming.

Notice that my point doesn't even concern the quality of parts, just their pricing even if they are in perfect condition. Also notice that to people on the East Coast, for example, it's completely unfeasible to buy something big from them and later deal with condition that might not have been described accurately (not an issue for you). Once they get a reputation that they currently have... why would one would use them and take chances? I understand you, as you are giving a data point on business than has done right by you. That's a good public deed. But hope you understand the counterpoint as well.

Quick Reply: LA Dismantlers