Sponsored by:

Urban Outlaw is out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
Then Mr Walker is kind of like me: styling in a way that caters to his audience.

I find it funny that you invoke Dr. King. When I think of him, I think of a well-groomed man in a three-piece-suit. And in spite of the suit, he wasn't a conformist sheep following the rules. Rather, he had guts and a vision. And you can change your clothes and cut your hair but you cannot change the color of your skin.
Funny, when I think of Dr. King, I focus on what he stood for and his beliefs, not his suit or wardrobe stylings. You seem to be obsessed with the external, when what matters is the internal.

To be candid, it almost seems you hold a prejudice against those that don't conform to the way you think people ought to be in your eyes.

As a German, you might want to recollect that kind of thinking didn't work out so well for your country about 70 years ago.

I would suggest that Magnus has guts and a vision. As did Dr. King. The suit, styling of hair and other appearances meant little, and added little, to either the guts or the vision.

That is what really matters, and that is the point.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, when I think of Dr. King, I focus on what he stood for and his beliefs, not his suit or wardrobe stylings.
That's a fair point but we were discussing appearance, not civil rights.
You seem to be obsessed with the external, when what matters is the internal.
I do not think I am obsessed with anything. However, if I am not mistaken, this thread is about a man who is in the fashion industry. In that context, appearance is highly relevant.
To be candid, it almost seems you hold a prejudice against those that don't conform to the way you think people ought to be in your eyes.
I admit that people's appearance is part of the information I consider when I form an opinion about them. So do you, as is shown by your comments on people in business suits.
As a German, you might want to recollect that kind of thinking didn't work out so well for your country about 70 years ago.
FYI, I am not German, I am Swiss living in Germany. And there is a LOOOONG way between disliking someone's appearance and putting them in a gas chamber.
I would suggest that Magnus has guts and a vision. As did Dr. King.
I am sorry but I do not think that Magnus Walker deserves to be named in the same breath as Martin Luther King.
The suit, styling of hair and other appearances meant little, and added little, to either the guts or the vision.
I think the suit was important for Dr. King. People wouldn't have listened to him if he had dressed like a hobo.
And Walker is in the fashion business. I think Stickypatch's hypotheses why Walker looks the way he does is quite plausible.

Goofball, I would also like to add that I agree with the point that I think you're trying to make that substance should be more important than style. However, if my understanding about Mr. Walker (i.e. him being a fashion entrepreneur) is correct, than style and substance are closely connected. Except when it comes to making new things look old, like he seems to be doing. Then, appearance trumps substance.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:22 PM
vaujot
Instructor

By the way there were some good comments on the film and 911s in general over at this thread on TTAC: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...porsches-past/
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I do not think I am obsessed with anything. However, if I am not mistaken, this thread is about a man who is in the fashion industry. In that context, appearance is highly relevant.
Fortunately the world has many different ideas as to what constitutes 'style' and I think this is the point you're failing to grasp. Just because he doesn't walk around in a tailored suit and shiny shoes doesn't make him any less the entrepreneur. He's catering to a completely different class of clientele.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, my last comment was not well received so I guess I need to make my point clearer.
First of all, what makes Mr. Walker look like a bum to me is not so much his clothing but his grooming, or lack thereof. Check out his fingernails and you’ll see what I mean.
My fingers look exactly like his after a day in the shop - and that after using hand cleaners, etc. i like to work bare-handed, so it does get messy.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
My fingers look exactly like his after a day in the shop - and that after using hand cleaners, etc. i like to work bare-handed, so it does get messy.
Well, duh, now I wonder what's my Alfa mechanic's trick to get his hands clean before we meet for dinner.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Well, duh, now I wonder what's my Alfa mechanic's trick to get his hands clean before we meet for dinner.
He probably just takes extra time to scrub them really well knowing he's meeting you, lest he be so harshly judged

"Oh, I wasn't really listening to your speech, Dr. King. I was too busy checking out your neat threads and that new hairdo you're sportin'" - Said No One Ever
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys really think Magnus cares what others think about his Dress?

I think not.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 AM
vaujot
Instructor

Originally Posted by FGL28
Do you guys really think Magnus cares what others think about his Dress?

I think not.
Well if you have a 30 minute film about yourself on your website then I don't believe that you don't care what others think of you.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow- I can't believe I stepped away from this thread for five days only to return and find out we're now debating the merits of Magnus's looks and invoking the doctrine's of MLK to prove our points. I'd rather watch a 30 minute film about this type of Porsche enthusiast than most of the jackasses wearing head-to-toe Porsche/PCA gear that I saw in the Porscheplatz at Petit Lemans yesterday...
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Aw ****, I just learned I gotta throw out my suits....don't wear them much any more, but they're outta here.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's an idea-we put an automatic closer after 48 hours on all threads. That seems about when they start to teeter on the edge. Get in early, if you want to post on the core subject.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 993

Emerald
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Jesus, you'd be so dead even attempting 1/2 of what's he is doing on ..
Its fun to watch as we'd all like to do it but that darn common sense kicks in.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:33 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been following Magnus Walker's story for about a year. I admire his passion, his nonconformity, and his artistic sense. What I don't admire is the way he drives on public roads,where he endangers not only himself, but others as well. Plus, this reflects on all Porsche drivers, and brands us as a**holes.

Quick Reply: Urban Outlaw is out!