Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver's carpet slides under pedals - solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver's carpet slides under pedals - solutions?

I probably am teh suk @ the search - I tried and was surprised not to find an posts on this

How can I keep my driver's carpet from sliding forward? I see the passenger one has a threaded post / plastic cap screw, but nothing as such on the driver's. Damn thing keeps jamming into the pedals - grrrr.

I tried epoxying (5) 2"x2" double-sided velcro squares underneath, but the epoxy didn't hold for even a day - frustrating!

Any suggestioned remedies appreciated - I've heard references to 'clips' that hold these - my S600 has these (they suck IMO)... the posts / screws are the way to go IMO.

I'm about to order some Coco mats, would like to ensure this is nailed down (literally!) first.

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you missing the threaded post on the drivers side?

If you still have one, what about punching a hole through your original drivers mat so you can use the plastic cap to secure it.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CZ
Are you missing the threaded post on the drivers side?

If you still have one, what about punching a hole through your original drivers mat so you can use the plastic cap to secure it.
This is correct if you are referring to the carpet from the factory. Part number should be 999 591 837 40. However this is too short for both the carpet and a mat on top of it. I saw in another thread that Lloyds make a longer shaft that will work with the carpet and a mat...no part number but you could call Llyods.

If you have a mat on top of the carpet (as many do) a lot of people have two clips for each seat that attach underneath the seat way in the back. One of the clips was missing when I bought my C4S and replace for free by a dealer. I like this set up better...easy to unclip the mat for cleaning.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" I'm about to order some Coco mats, would like to ensure this is nailed down (literally!) first. "

Best solution , you will not regret it . Coco mats will not move out of place .

Cheers Guy
Old 10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
I see the passenger one has a threaded post / plastic cap screw, but nothing as such on the driver's.
If its gone, can you JB weld a screw upside down in the same spot as a "replacment"? Or see what replacement Porsche has.

Originally Posted by il pirata
However this is too short for both the carpet and a mat on top of it.
Just pull out the factory mat on the bottom. You shouldn't see a difference and then the threaded post & plastic nut work fine. I had to do this to get just a little more room for my big feet to fit...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I know!

There is a small hole right next to the threaded rod. On my 993 the rod was broken. So I drilled a hole through the plastic piece, through the whole in my carpet, and into the small hole. Then I used a stainless steel screw to secure the whole thing. Of course, it now takes a screw driver to remove but it holds and looks fine. The passenger side was OK and the threaded part held the plastic piece securely.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

In my infinite awesomeness I neglected to find the driver post was still there - it's just way far under the seat (I ride the wheel pretty close to acheive proper reach - damn I need a hub extender!). I should have slid the seat waaaay back and looked better before posting - d'oh sorry.

I'll just pop a hole thru the carpet and buy a cap nut and Bob's my uncle. Cool.

Thanks too for the feedback on them Coco mats - good to hear, I'd heard good things and am looking forward to them.

I'm aiming to add a bit 'o color to the otherwise bleh greywashed interior (meh!) - probably go with black / white speckles:

tho I'll admit, there's a perverse part of me that was somewhat sorta considering burgundy / white speckles to match the Arena... but I'm pretty darn sure that'd just be too discotastic! 8-)

Thanks again all!

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

WHATEVER you do do not make the same mistake I did and order WeatherTech mats. I've ordered upwards of a dozen sets of floormats from them over the years, got a set about a year back that had IMO questionable fitment. Prior to this set never had an issue. The customer service rep said that they are more of a "universal fit" rather than custom made (funny, I thought that was why you went through the matrix choosing make, model, year, etc.), she said to respond with pics which I did. A week went by, no reply. I sent a follow-up email and cc'd it to their president, David Macneil, still no reply. AMAZING that a company that continually professes it's quality and service handles things this way.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

those mats look just like the ones I got at Costco for fifteen bucks except the costco ones fit better
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
those mats look just like the ones I got at Costco for fifteen bucks except the costco ones fit better
Thanks for rubbing it in lol . For a company like WeatherTech to completely ignore my complaint is nothing short of astounding. Strange part is now their website says they do not have all weather rubber mats available for 1996 911's, they were definitely an option a year back when I ordered mine. Maybe others ran into issues also, hopefully they received better customer service.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

WOW, on ^that^ Weathertech fitment... just wow. And werserer wow on that lack of service. Unacceptable.

Found my post, drilled the carpet, screwed it down - it's amazing how much a difference some little things make!

What are your thoughts on the wacky notion of matching mats to the paint? In this case, Arena with silver top and marble grey, well... everything 8-/. Looking at it again last night, it could be kinda neat.

Or am I sniffing too much drilled carpet fiber?

Anyone got any pics of unique mat combos? (maybe that should be separate thread...)

Paul
CT
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
WHATEVER you do do not make the same mistake I did and order WeatherTech mats.
I think you got hosed by the "universal fit", which is a sign for "it don't fit right"...

I ordered some of their super-duper, digi-laser-fitted (or some fancy name) mats for my A4Avant and they fit PERFECTLY. These are the ones that are really all-weather due to their tub-like fit, which can hold a BUNCH of water. I paid up for them, but they work! I had a leak due to a backed up sunroof drain (sounds like a 993 almost...) and found 1/2 of water standing in my floormat....and NO wet carpet due to the tall sides on these things.
http://www.weathertech.com/product-e...er-digitalfit/

...eerrrr, they don't offer them for the 993 it appears....disregard me, nothing to see here....moving on...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kjr914
I think you got hosed by the "universal fit", which is a sign for "it don't fit right"...

I ordered some of their super-duper, digi-laser-fitted (or some fancy name) mats for my A4Avant and they fit PERFECTLY. These are the ones that are really all-weather due to their tub-like fit, which can hold a BUNCH of water. I paid up for them, but they work! I had a leak due to a backed up sunroof drain (sounds like a 993 almost...) and found 1/2 of water standing in my floormat....and NO wet carpet due to the tall sides on these things.
http://www.weathertech.com/product-e...er-digitalfit/

...eerrrr, they don't offer them for the 993 it appears....disregard me, nothing to see here....moving on...
There was no mention of "Universal Fit" when I ordered, that term only came up when I wrote them after receiving them, I ordered them specifically for a 1996 911 Coupe which was a model their matrix offered last year when I ordered, now it is not offered.

I also have the "Digital Fit" in my DD SUV, great product (ought to be at ~$300 for fronts, middle and rear rows along with cargo mat). Like I said, I'm just shocked at how they handled / ignored the issue. There, I'm finished bitching.

UPDATE on WeatherTech's Customer Service:

My prior posts regarding my displeasure with the WeatherTech Mat's fitment got me a little fired up inspiring me to write them again (with pictures) even though I had the mats for a year. Results, a full refund via Paypal. I still think their handling and stonewalling me a year back was wrong, but they did end up doing the right thing (after a threatened BBB report and letter to AG).

Last edited by coreseller; 10-18-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: driver's carpet slides under pedals - solutions?