993 Forum 1995-1998

Titan scissors lift question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by flying_low
I like the ability to move it if needed.
Works as long as you don't mind driving up on ramps all the time. I was going to "sink" my scissors lift if I went that route and that makes the location kind of permanent.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been parking a rear-engined Porsche on ramps for about 6 or 7 years now. It's a non-issue. Negotiating steep driveways is a pain-parking on ramps isn't.

I sold my house last week, and now we're working on finalizing our purchase. Other than the movers having to deal with it, the lift is going with me without too much of a headache.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

I got an Atlas from Greg Smith Eqpt. I recessed in the slab-on a new construction addition to an existing structure. You could easily cut, remove, and slightly undermine a recessed slab in any existing structure. Being able to simply drive over top, without ramps...is a plus.

A great investment, not just for oil changes or minor maintenance(really all I can do anyway's), but very useful for cleaning and polishing. Simply lift the car to whatever elevation makes the cleaning easier.

A relitively cheap investment, all Porsche things considered.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Au Contraire....I've always had the space with the lift void of tiles. As I mentioned, I have S/S plates.

The freedom of being unencumbered around the perimeter is why I didn't go Max Jack. I also have the flexibility of moving mine, which I have done in the past, when I changed where I park the Porsche.

I hope this pic loads correctly, iphones turn them upside down sometimes.
Ed that is some serious downforce! I have never seen this set up. Sweet. I may have to upgrade my garage!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

IT really frees up garage space, working off the ceiling.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can speak to the fit of the 993 on a Bendpak MD-6XP.
Fits great. Can't center the center-of-gravity perfectly (CG will be biased ~3 inches rearward), but it's certainly good enough.
You can't drive over it even at USA ride height unless you build ramps or recess it in the slab.
If you want to use it to drop the engine, here is a modification some make to the Bendpak that might work for the Titan.
Here's a thread of mine discussing fit (I was working through where exactly to cut my slab). Some pics there.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I went back and forth on which to get, because I have a small garage. I went with the MaxxJax thinking it would be an easier install than recessing or having planks in my small garage. Given the size of my garage I cannot keep the posts in when not working on the car. Putting them in and taking them out has proven much more cumbersome than I thought it would be and I should have, in hindsight, built in a recess in the floor for a scissor jack. That said, I love the MaxxJax when the car is on it, it's just the space issue...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inkatouring
That said, I love the MaxJax when the car is on it, it's just the space issue...
I placed my columns forward in my garage so that where I normally park, the columns are not adjacent to my doors.

I would have sooner cast a recess into my floor for a scissors lift (my initial plan) and that would have been far easier than what I am doing now, but I wanted total access to the bottom of the car which is not possible with a scissors lift.

For every advantage there is a disadvantage.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I placed my columns forward in my garage so that where I normally park, the columns are not adjacent to my doors.

I would have sooner cast a recess into my floor for a scissors lift (my initial plan) and that would have been far easier than what I am doing now, but I wanted total access to the bottom of the car which is not possible with a scissors lift.

For every advantage there is a disadvantage.
Indeed; your solution would not have worked in my garage. This is truly a YMMV situation.

But I can say from experience that going the MaxxJax route without permament installation is less than ideal and presents a serious chore every time you want to use the thing. Is it better than jack stands? Yes, but not as much as I had hoped.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inkatouring
But I can say from experience that going the MaxJax route without permanent installation is less than ideal and presents a serious chore every time you want to use the thing.
I doubt I'll use it more than six times a year, but like the rest of my equipped shop, its there when I need it.

What part do you find to be a chore; moving the columns around?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I doubt I'll use it more than six times a year, but like the rest of my equipped shop, its there when I need it.

What part do you find to be a chore; moving the columns around?
Yes, that's the worst, but the whole process takes more time than I expected. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic, but their webs site implied about 5-10 minutes install and I find it to be a 20 minute process with some heavy lifting which wasn't a problem before my hips exhibited my premature arthritis. (It felt good to say premature when the word used to describe me that involves mature usually starts with an "im".)

Last edited by inkatouring; 10-11-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Titan scissors lift question